This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

non-boot

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey there guys - was wondering if anyone can throw some light onto the following problem as it has me screwed. I was on the PC checking a site out and in IRC (secure channel) then the PC froze - mouse wont work or anything. I rebooted but all i get is the fans working but no signal to the screen. The mobo doesnt get to post and there are no beeps coming dfrom it. I have tried a new PS and removed all the plug ins from it, still same result. I tried disconnecting HDD - same, i took out the RAM and got the beeping from the Mobo but it was a strange beep didnt sound like a fault beep). I have heard maybe BIOS was screwed so tried to flash it - then found floppy drive now not working also. (new floppy drive) So I am left with a PC that seems to look like its Ok but wont even boot as far as post and with no signal getting to the monitor so no display of what may be happening. My system is a P4 3.0 Ghz = 2 x Legend DDR400 512Mb RAM on a Gigabyte GA-81G1000 Pro G Mobo (BIOS F6) and ATi 9800Pro VGA (unplugged) with XP Pro SP2 and a Thermaltake 430W PS (5 mths old). Then if this wasnt bad anough my dad called me last night and his has done the exact same thing - he has a different CPU and Mobo etc but exactly same symptoms. Was chatting in MSN when system froze - rebooted and now dead. Even his floppy is no longer working…. Virus or hardware do you think? I have two virus checkers and anti spam all installed and i was not D/L anything when it happened. He has a different anti virus as well. Any help or ideas would be hugely accepted as I seem to have run out of ideas now….
hmm.. ok IS the monitor getting a signal..? Usually if there not, it will say its not.. like.. while the monitor is on unplug it from the tower and see if gives a warning across the screen
The monitor isnt getting any signal at all. I tried removing the VGA and using on borad but same result. I tried a new VGA but same result. The orange light of the Benq remains constant so definatly no signal at all getting to it. if i unplug it I get the warning message.
hmm… you might start over..did you build the comp yourself or is an OEM comp? You might check and make sure the board hasnt come into contact with any metal..(sorry.. i know thats a stretch but never know)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI