I've got a new ( to me ) HP. Several different scans, even did the f10 thing. Connect to www, go to my usual email (yahoo ) and I'm getting …. email could not be delievered. I did not send any email!! Must be something in this " new " computer. Shut down, go back to my usual comp, ( yes I did delete the mails ) About 15 minutes online… more returned mail. PLEASE UNDERSTAND I did NOT send ANY email. Any ideas??? If my new ( to me) had something that I missed, how could it be on my "first " system. This is no way!! I will clean this… with or without HJT. I just want to know how it happened. Going to run HJT but that is not the answer to what just happend. How the F*** did this ??? Never had this problem untill I plugged in new (to me) system. Thank you for any help you can offer.
Hi troublewalking - just remember the golden rule: don't open any email unless you recognise where it came from.
The hackers, crackers, phishers and assorted malware purveyors know every trick in the book, and I suspect what you're seeing is one of those. I have also received 'non-delivery' messages which look exactly like the genuine notifications that are generated if an email doesn't go through. The only reason I know they're bad is that my ISP has virus scanning at the server. If a message with a virus is found, it removes the virus but the message still comes to me, with a note telling me that an infection was found and cleaned. In addition to 'non-delivered' messages, the system has caught many emails that I might well have opened since the sender address was familiar.
Does that sound like what you're experiencing?
Cheers…
Thanks for reply, Surreal2. I have not opened any of these emails. I did save them to a new folder, which I have scanned several times. I found nothing. I can't see how this could be in my comp. because I have 2 systems with the same problem ( they are not connected to www at same time… disconect this one connect that one, not linked in any way ) Can a modem or router be infected ( no way, right???? ) Maybe I'm trying to hard to find it. I guess I'll break out the HJT to start, see if someone can find something I missed. I just don't understand passing from one sys. to another when they have never been connected to each other? I need to sleep, but thanks for your help, I'll let you know what I find.