Jump to content

Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91704 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!


Photo

Internet Explorer, WON'T!


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 imagineyes

imagineyes

    New Member

  • New Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:50 PM

This problem occured suddenly - everything was fine, and then - not. I wish I could remember some peculiar circumstance coincidental with its onset, but I can't. I click on the IE icon, the window opens, the cursor becomes the arrow with an hourglass beside it, there is nothing in the progress bar - and that's it! Sure, if I hit stop, the 'Action cancelled' message comes up, but ONLY if I hit stop. I get no error messages otherwise. I have Netscape 6.2 (and 4.7) and Firefox (which I downloaded after losing IE). All of these access the web, no problem. I can ping successfully. I can FTP files in both directions. I use Microsoft Frontpage; it links to sites on the web. After stopping IE6, I can enter addresses for targets on my own computer and they will be displayed. I previously ran Sygate Personal Firewall, but have long since disabled it. There is a hardware firewall built into my Netgear Gateway, but I have changed nothing on it since switching from cable to DSL at least a year before this problem arose. I have tried running Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, and AVG; repairing IE6; removing IE6 - as much as may be possible - changing the install bit in the registry to zero, and reinstalling; removing and installing IE5.5; removing it and reinstalling IE6; re-registering scads of dlls, as recommended on various forums around the web; running a winsock repair; running a Windows repair from the CD on bootup. Of course, the problem remains (or I wouldn't be posting!). Fact is, I've found no description of a problem exactly like this in my search for answers on the net. So, while it may not be entirely accurate, this > :rant2: represents very closely my feelings on the matter at this point. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can offer insight into this rather frustrating problem; for that, I would certainly be appreciative.

    Advertisements

Register to Remove

Related Topics



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users