to see more information you can go to the management console (where the device manager was)
click on the + in fron of event viewer
left click on system
in the right hand panel, look for the error message. left click and select properties - see if it tells you anything useful
if could because you rebooted before the cache of IP addresses cleared and you are using a fixed IP address. In this case it should be no big problem.
Any idea if you are using the router's DHCP server to assign IP addresses or if you are using a static address?
to check this
contol panel, network and dialup conections, left click on your network connection and select properties,
select Internet Protocal IP/TCP and click properties, is the radio button obtain a IP address automatically selected or the use the following IP address selected?
if you are using a fixed address you need to make sure your roomate's computer is not trying to use the same fixed address.
Other thing to check is to make sure the router's security is turned on WPA or WEP. This prevents someone in range from logging into your network. It is often not turned on by default.
l
obtain an IP address automatically is selected, so it must be something with the linksys setup! I'll check that out - thanks! Does that mean someone in my apartment building is using our internet to get online?
Well it is possible that anyone in range can connect to the internet though your wireless router, if the WEP or WPA security feature is not enabled.
Whether it is likely all depends on what type of neighbors you have.
Sorry, my eyes are starting to cross
After it ran diagnostics on my hard drive, it said "Test completed" so I think it's fair to say my drive passed (I hope).
Well that's good - It would let you know if the drive failed I am sure.
Well the problem went away, that's good. Not quite sure what solved it though - that's bad. Hopefully it won't come back. Just hope it one of those random computer problems that show up sometimes and disappear never to return.
Thank you SO MUCH
I can only hope that it was just having a bad couple of days. If it can only last me til May (when I graduate), I'll be happy!!
Thanks again,
Jessica