This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer won't come on

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer was having major problems about a week ago, running really slow and giving a number of errors. I posted a hijackthis log but never got a response. About 6 days later, I went to turn it on and loaded & then was running really slow. So I restarted it again - has not turned on since. I get a range of errors, but most of them say NTDETECT failed and refer to one of about 5-10 different numbers. (like 00000200) Should I just throw my computer in the dump or does it have hope? I did a search on the Internet and it said to boot from cd. I hit "r" and wound up at a prompt screen (where it told me to go). This site said to type in "fixboot". I know how to do that, but I haven't because I have no clue what it'll do if I type it because I don't know how reliable the source is. Please help and let me know if htis is something I should try! :rofl:
Yes, that is what you do :) Type "fixboot" then hit enter. Now reboot and see if it works. If it still doesn't, type "sfc /scannow" and hit enter. Reboot and post if it worked.
I ran the fixboot, and still got the error when I rebooted. I am now in the command prompt so I can try the other thing you said, but the command prompt says 1: C:\WINNT instead of the regular C:\. Below that it says Which Windows 2000 Installation would you like to log onto? (To cancel, press ENTER) If I hit cancel it just goes back to the beginning of reloading the cd. What should I type here so that I can try the other thing you put?
Sounds like you don't have any paths set for the command mode and need to be in the directory the sfc.exe is to get it to run. at your C:\winnt prompt type dir sfc* if the file is there it should show, if it is not the right directorythen it will will show no file found. on my computer sfc.exe is in the system32 subdirectory at your C:\winnt prompt type cd system32 to change to the c:\winnt\system32 directory check if the file is there as above then type the sfc /scannow Hope that helps
I finally got to C:\ but sfc /scannow is not a command that is recognized. Am I doing something wrong? is there something else I can do? Please help! :rant2:
Ntdetect Fails When Computer Starts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242112/

from this article

Windows 2000
To resolve this issue in Windows 2000:
1. Start the computer from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" menu select R for repair.
3. Select Manual Repair.
4. Select only Startup Environment from the repair options.
5. When prompted, insert the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD). If you do not have an ERD you can proceed without one.
6. When the repair process is completed, remove the ERD from the floppy disk drive, and then press ENTER to restart the computer

Hope that helps
Mmmm, sorry for the delay in responding. Sorry that I didn't fix your problem. Please try to do the same thing again and get to the recovery console and run this command: fixmbr Now, reboot, and tell me if it works. Also tell me what version of OS you have (XP Pro, 2000, 98 SE, ect…) Don't give up if the above dosen't work. I have another plan. I just want this information first.
Thanks for replying!! klutek- I have done this, but I do not have the Emergency Repair disk and it won't let me proceed without it. I have every cd that came with my computer though…??? fbelzile- No problem! I am running Windows 2000. NOW GOOD NEWS - I went to turn my computer on this morning, and it just opened windows! It ran a check on the system that had 3 stages, but I didn't pay attention because it starts different every time but then makes it to the NTDETECT errors. Right now, Windows is open!! My computer keeps making some weird clicking noises once in awhile, but it is on!! I have not tried to open anything at all. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I can run a Hijackthis if needed!
By the way, I have not done the "fixmbr" yet because I wasnt expecting it to come on. Now that it's up and running I'm afraid to turn it off. I can restart it and do this though if there's not something I can do in Windows that will be helpful.
Glad to hear you got into windows. Sounds like a good opportunity to backup anything important. Also to make a ERD floppy to create an ERD: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup. 2. On the Tools menu, click Create an Emergency Repair Disk. You can use the ERD for the following repair functions: • Inspect and repair the startup environment. • Verify the Windows 2000 system files and replace missing or damaged files. • Inspect and repair the boot sector. You can run sfc.exe from under windows. It checks to make sure all the system files are not corrupt and in their original configuration. On the repair procedure sounds like the boot.ini file could not be read. NOTE: When you attempt to repair Windows 2000, it asks if you have an ERD diskette, if you do not have the diskett, press L and the computer attempts to locate your Windows 2000 installation to perform repairs. This process looks for the Boot.ini file on your computer partition and reads the ARC paths to your operating system(s). The computer then attempts to load the following hive for each ARC path: %systemroot%\System32\Config\Software This attempt finds which installation versions matches the installation CDROM used to do the repair. If the Boot.ini file cannot be read, or the software hive is corrupt, the repair is not able to proceed. At this time, you must have a ERD diskette containing a valid Setup.log file for that computer before repairs are possible. Clicking sounds make me think of a hard drive starting to fail. I have seen several start making clicking sounds and have occasional problems reading sectors. The problems usually got progressive worse. I suggest getting and running a hard drive check utility from the drive manufacturer's web site.
I made an ERD - thanks! I also searched for the sfc.exe file & found it, but when I double click it, it looks like it's trying to do something but nothing really happens. How should I go about running this? Sorry, I don't know much about computers. Should I turn it off and run from the cd again & then use the ERD?
OK, as klutek said, back-up your data NOW! :P You should also run sfc while your in Windows. To run it, please do the following. Start > Run… > type: cmd > OK A black window should pop-up. Now type: sfc /scannow And hit enter. It should now work. Insert your windows CD if it asks you to. Now, once thats finished and you made back-ups of important files, re-boot. Yes, that sounds horrible, but now your more prepared. First, do a reboot with-out doing anything. If it fails, you can try klutek's idea. If your computer is working now, fixmbr will do nothing. Good Luck :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI