This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Please help Network Card problem....

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:18:49 PM, on 10/19/2005 Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Hello… I have a computer on my internal net that will not retrieve an ip address from my modem, nor will it send or receive packets. When I plug the cable directly into my cable modem, the link light turns green and there is no activity. (Amber light) I've tested another computer connected directly to the cable modem and it works fine. I'm certain this is a software problem. Couple of thing I have tried… I've uninstalled the nic drivers, rebooted, then reinstalled…no help…same problem. I've installed and ran Adaware and Spybot to remove any spyware. Thought that this may help. It didn't… I replaced the network cable with a brand new cable tested in another pc to ensure the cable is working. I've installed a brand new network card into an unused pci slot and have the same issue on this card as well. This card was tested and working fine on another pc. I can ping the host w/o problems 127.0.0.1. Ipconfig /all will display 0.0.0.0 for the ip address and blank for the Gateway, DNS, etc… Went over to the properties of the nic card to see if any packets have been sent or rec. both values are zero. If seen this problem once before and the way it was resolved was to format and reinstall the OS. Don't really feel like trashing my PC… Any help with this problem would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance…
Thanks for the two links… The problems listed in these two sites are more of the basic problems. As I said, I've tested all the hardware independently and all is working in other workstations. My guess is that there is some app or reg modification that is disabling my NIC connectivity. There is no way it can be a driver issue because this is happing on multiple cards. Basically I plug the cable in and there is no activity… no packets in and none out. I was hoping that someone could look at a hijackthis log from this pc. Anyway, thanks for the response…
***Just an update*** I was playing arround with this system some more and thought it would be less stressful if I formated and reinstalled the OS. Backed up the important files and started from scratch. I did this and all works as good as new… I knew it wasn't a hardware issue. As I said, I've seen this issue a couple of times in the past and this is usually the only thing that helps. There must have been spyware on this PC that Adaware and Spybot dosen't find. Anyway…I'm up and running. If anyone has had this issue and resolved it w/o trashing their system please let me know. I'm sure I will see it again. Thanks…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI