This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trojan

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I did a virus scan using AVG and it found a trojan in the file: C:\Windows\System32\p2pnetworking.exe I had LimeWire but I uninstalled it so I currently don't have any P2P file sharing programs installed. I tried searching the folder for the file and even made it display all hidden files, but I couldn't locate it. There were a few thousand files in there so maybe I just missed it. This sort of brings me to my next probelm. I downloaded LimeWire and I guess I downloaded a bad file and it would always startup LimeWire so I uninstalled it. Now, it tries to start it up and brings up a box that says "One or more of the files is missing" and it gives me some error report to send to LimeWire. If I click "OK" (to close the box) it does it again. Also, when I press ctrl + alt + delete and click on Task Manager, it doesn't open up. By the way, I'm using Windows 2000 If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it.
Hi there,

Please perform an online virus scan with at least two of the sites below (more won't hurt):


BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options

Panda ActiveScan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options

Housecall at TrendMicro
Trend Micro Anti-Spyware-scan
Click the Scan and Clean your PC and save it to your desktop.

* Doubleclick tmas-web-scan.exe-icon on your desktop
* Click agree to accept the terms of the license.
* After loading the definitions, click Start Scan
* When the scan is done, click Scan Results
* Check every item that was found (normally they are checked by default, so make sure they are all checked) and click Clean Threats Now
* A confirmation prompt will appear. Click OK
* Click Exit.

Reboot your computer.
After reboot, you'll see that the tmas-web-scan.exe-icon on your desktop will be gone, but there will be an Antispywarelog instead. It's a textfile.
Copy and paste the entire content of it in your next reply.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

RAV Antivirus Online Scan
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan

Or, if using Firefox,

TRENDMICRO-better for firefox

If you could make one of those scans with Panda, save the log and post it up that would be great :)

Big Smiles

HS
Hi there, I like to work with Panda because I like the overview it gives me when helping OP's….some scans suit others better. Panda's fine, aside from the fact they are evermore trying to hide their free scanner from the casual observer ;) Big Smiles HS
Panda is not fine.. I know 2 people who work for Panda.. But use what you prefer.



Aside from that, user needs to post a log. Go here to download Hijack This. Then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save the scan to a log and then copy and paste the results of scan into a new thread in the Hijack This and Spyware removal forum
Hi there, Well….your comments on Panda are rather ambigous so I don't know quite what to say. Only that I have used it to troubleshoot problems for a very long time and have experienced no issues above or beyond those of any other scanners you care to name. Primarily in this case (and in many cases) I use it as a diagnostic to give me an insight as to whether a specific problem is founded in an infection or not…excluding is as important as including…especially when 101 things may be contenders for any given problem. However, if there is a specific issue with Panda that is causing you major concern, either technically or ethically, I would be most grateful if you may let me know about it. If you feel it innapropriate to post in open forum…please feel free to PM me. If there are problems with applications we trust…the anti-malware community should share that information and be made aware of it :) Big Smiles HS
Well.. here we prefer users post a hijack this log to identify any problems. We have guideluines here to post by, as well as a classroom which you should feel free to join. Untill then however I suggegst you keep it simple and ask the user for a log.
Hi there, I'm sorry…I'm new (as you can see), normally I try to troubleshoot…then ask for a log if the situation requires it…but you may do it another way. A difference in style perhaps. I don't mean to tread on any toes. If there is an opposing style to that on this site I'll be happy to learn it…although it might not be the appropriate place for me to in this thread…since it would be hijacking the initial poster's problem. Whatever style we have, the member we're helping has to come first :) Big Smiles HS

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI