Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

"Page not found" error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 browercl

browercl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

I've upgraded from Win ME to Win XP Pro. I have 512 MB Ram on a Pentium 3 running a 1GHZ. Since i've upgraded, i cannot load any web page using IE6 or Firefox. i've checked my internet settings and they appear to be okay (PPP:Windows 95/98/NT4/2000,Internet). I'm sure that something happened with the upgrade but i have no idea what it was. i could browse the internet using IE and Firefox prior to the upgrade just fine. Also, my modem does connect with my userid and password--i just cannot load any web site or url. Please help :scratch:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 klutek

klutek

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:10 PM

Suggestions of a couple things to check.

First thing to try is typing in the address bar on IE6.

http://70.84.70.85/

If this brings up the tomcoyote website, you may have a problem with your DNS setting. If so go to control panel, internet and network connections, internet options, right click on your dialup connection, properties, networking tab, select internet protocal and select properties, make sure obtain DNS automatically is checked or check DNS numbers are correct.

If still getting the page not found error. try going to run and typing in

cmd

to get a DOS type command window. Then enter

ping 70.84.70.85

If you are connecting to the internet you should see

Reply from 70.84.70.85: bytes=32 time=xxx TTL=55

If you get that message try typing

ping forums.tomcoyote.org

and see if you get a reply from that. If not its likely a DNS problem. DNS converts the name tomcoyote.org to a IP address 70.84.70.85

Also check the window XP firewall - SP2 activates it automatically

control panel, network and internet connections, windows firewall.
Go to the advanced tab and see if the firewall is enabled for your dialup connection. If it is go to the exceptions tab and make sure the show notification when a program is blocked is checked.
Run IE6 and try to bring up a website. See if you get a notification.

If you are adventurous you can try connecting to a website with the firewall turned of if it was on.

If still getting the page not found error, post the results of the above and I'll try to help you troubleshoot it further.

#3 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:45 AM

(PPP:Windows 95/98/NT4/2000,Internet)

PPP..? you are using 2 modems..?

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#4 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

If you are adventurous you can try connecting to a website with the firewall turned of if it was on.

I would advise most strongly against doing that. If you do, we'll be troubleshooting even more issues on your machine.

Big Smiles

HS
Posted Image
DynaSig: Free Dynamic Forum Signatures!

"Dogs are Running wild in the street...I just can't take it anymore!"