This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer won't boot.. please help

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My girlfriends computer won't boot up. She needs to get to her files and it won't even let her see her desktop. Basically, she can't start her computer. It starts to boot, then says: "NTLDR is Missing, press ctrl-alt-delete to restart". All of her work is in there and her deadline for the work is due on Friday so a speedy response would be much much appreciated. Thank you in advance..
Hi, this problem happens often. First, do you have a Windows install CD or even a repair CD? If so, which one?
THank you for the speedy response. I have a windows install CD. When I put the CD it still gives the NTLDER is Missing message and asks to shut it down.
Also, when we try to boot from the disk, sometimes it will allow us to start booting but then it gives a blue screen with the following message: File/i386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded The error code is 32768
OK thanks. We will want to boot from the CD; but first we have to fix it… Just answer this question and we'll be on our way: Did you add or remove RAM or do any BIOS changes lately?
I changed the BIOS to default settings but only after the problem started. I also tried to boot from the CD and configured the computer so it would read the CD and not the harddrive first. I get a message with "asms" in it. Thanks.
OK, please tell me if you have a pirated version of the software… It will be alot easier for me to solve the problem :P


If not, we can continue fixing it. Please read the following Microsoft article that resolves your "asms" problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…b;EN-US;Q311755

I hope you can then get the CD to boot so we can solve this NTLDR problem. Also, please tell me if you need this computer urgently; I have a workaround through all of this.
It's definitely a pirated copy of XP professional. I do need the computer urgently, but I would prefer to try and fix it before we do the workaround. Thanks again :)
OK, here are some recommendations:

Solution 1:

Borrow a real Windows XP CD that is not burnt. Then see if you can boot with that.

Solution 2:

#1. Change your BIOS to boot like this: FLOPPY - CDROM - HD: You'll see why in a second.

#2. Download and execute this program on the computer you are now using. Direct Download
This program will write the system files needed to boot into XP on a floppy disk.
What you are going to do is take the floppy it has made and simply put it in the Floppy drive of the trouble-some computer and boot from it.
Make sure you did step one first; the floppy needs to boot before the HDD.

#3. Once the computer boots:

#4. Go into My Computer and go, "Tools" then "Folder Options…" Now go under the view tab and click in the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button. Scroll down a bit and Un-check "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)" Lastly, click Apply, then OK.

#5. Highlight all files on the floppy (ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini) and paste them to the C:\ drive. Note it's not in any folders just C:\
It may ask you if you want to "overwrite the existing files", say YES to this. Tell me if you got this message.

#6. Next, find the "ntldr" file and right-click it, then click "Properties." Make sure "Read only" is checked and Click Apply (if you can) then OK.
Do this for the other two files you copied.

#7. Remove the boot floppy and reboot. Tell me if it boots with-out it.


Try this and let me know how this goes. :)
Unfortunately, I am using a laptop and I can't really put anything on a floppy. It looks like the best way to do this is to just get the real version of XP. Probably have to wait until MOnday to do this though. I would try doing the Walkaround thing you were talking about earlier if you think it's a good idea.

Also, I had a problem with the ASMS thing. On this site that you gave me… http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…b;EN-US;Q311755 it tells me do find this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

The problem is, I couldn't find that class anywhere. I found 4D36E96B and 4D36E96F but not one ending in 5.

I just htought of something. I have an external CD ROM drive. Is it possible to burn that zipped file you told me to download on it and then load it into broken computer? ANyway, just a thought. THanks again.
The work around was the floppy boot disk… You can try using the CD, but I cant help you there. I also can't help you out any further, because you are using a pirated copy of Windows. Which may be the reason why you have all these problems and cant find the "5." I recommend you buy the real copy of XP. Then just do a re-install and start clean. As much as I'd like to help you futher, the forums have policies and I can't break them. Sorry
I completely understand. Thank you for helping me as much as you did. I'm going to get the real version of XP on Monday. Thanks again… :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI