This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Recurring spyware -- please help!

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

To check the system go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow
This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your XP CD if it finds any problems.

Post back whats come up.
At my homeforum I once helped someone with this advice:

You may have to register these dll'se:

You can open > start and then > run
Type in the box:
Click OK after every line you typed!
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
Done and still same same. And don't worry, I have plenty of patience. I'm just glad I have someone smarter than myself helping. Told you this would be a challenging one…. Cheers!
Here is an advice given from an expert:

turn off norton's script protection in its options, Not turn off the whole program


So take a closer look at that scriptprotection. When the program is off that still might be on and interfere.
Yes. I have installed FireFox and it doesn't suffer the same problems, but that really is just a work around and doesn't FIX the problem with IE. My wife prefers IE since it is what she's used to, and of course all our favorites and histories are there. Can I uninstall and reinstall IE without dorking up everything else? My IE disk won't work becuase it says it is older than what is installed already–having had several SP updates in the past couple years. Is there a way to seperately deinstall and reinstall my java? Or maybe update it?
Well, re-install if IE is an option of course, but it is one of the last options we choose.

Since other helpers are thinking about there are new idea's braught up.

Can you fix these entries with HijackThis:


Open HijackThis > click "Do a system scan only"
Place a checkmark next to the entries below.
After you have done that close all browsers and windows except HijackThis, and have HijackThis fix them by clicking Fix Checked:

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~2\Ad-Watch.exe


Then reboot the pc and try again to click those windows.
You can always place the backups back made bij HJT.

Java does not need to update while using IE browser, but perhaps there was something left behind by changing browsers as you told me you did.
Firefox does need extra Java-options.
So perhaps this link will help you any further:

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
:D SUCCESS!! …..mostly. After removing the two hjt entries you suggested, those links started working properly. So now the question is which of the two was creating the problem. I notice my Ad-Watch monitor was off so reactiviated and tried again and the problem came back. Bothers me a bit since I like the protection of it running, and actually it had run fine for a long time before this problem surfaced. Thinking back, my problem started about the time I upgraded to Ad-Aware 1.06 in May/June. Curious if others had a similar problem after upgrading their Ad-Aware. What's next?
Well, first of all I want to thank wng_z3r0 :thumbup:
He came with that idea and the problem seems to be solved now. I have never heard of such a problem, but I am very glad things worked out fine.

I herewith give you our final suggestions for safe surfing for I don't think it would be a good idea to remove the updated version of AdAware.

You can look at this general article for prevention.


Here are some tips, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

  • Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Thanks. I do and have done everything in your list–at least once a week, AV daily. I would also like to thank wng_z3r0. That said, I am still in a position where I have this problem if I'm running Ad-Watch like you recommend. If I don't run Ad-Watch then I'm leaving myself vulnerable. I browsed the Lavasoft site a little to see if this problem was discussed but didn't see it.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI