This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Add/Delete Programs Won't Work

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Today I tried to uninstall a program using Add or Remove Programs and it didn't work. Then I tried using the uninstaller in jv16 Power Tools with the same result. In both cases, a small window with a black background flashed on the screen for a fraction of a second– to fast to really see anything. I rebooted into safe mode and tried again and the same thing happened. I tried uninstallling another program just to make sure it wasn't an issue with with the first program . I thought that maybe I had some corrupt or missing windows files, so I did a Repair Reinstall. I was pretty sure that would fix the problem, but it didn't. I run KAV, Outpost Firewall, Trojan Hunter, AdAware, Spybot, MSAS etc, so I have good real-time protection, and I scan regularly. I'm pretty sure I'm clean. Below is the header from HJT: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:09:23 AM, on 9/15/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) I would appreciate any help you could give. Thanks in advance!!
Can u post the entire log please..? Also you might try running SFC, click on start .. then run.. then type cmd and hit enter.. at the prompt type sfc /scannow.
Hi Crow! Thanks for responding to my post.


Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Internet connection down for last 24 hours and just got it back. Ran sfc /scannow, inserted the XP reinstallation cd at the prompt, and let it finish. It didn't solve the problem, unfortunately. Here is a complete HJT log:




Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:50:25 PM, on 9/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaantmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\outpost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\DU Meter\DUMeter.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.google.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.news.google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.google.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://news.google.com/
O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DU Meter] C:\Program Files\DU Meter\DUMeter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBAutoUpdate] "C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster\sbautoupdate.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Outpost Firewall] C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\outpost.exe /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KAVPersonal50] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kav.exe" /minimize
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IDMan] C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe /onboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All Links with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEGetAll.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEExt.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Browser Adjustment - {44627E97-789B-40d4-B5C2-58BD171129A1} - C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\Plugins\BrowserBar\ie_bar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: PCPitstop-Tracks-Checker - http://pcpitstop.com/privacy/PCPTracks.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\wl_hook.dll
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: IAA Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: kavsvc - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kavsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Outpost Firewall Service (OutpostFirewall) - Agnitum Ltd. - C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\outpost.exe
O23 - Service: Panda Process Protection Service (PavPrSrv) - Panda Software - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panda Software\PavShld\pavprsrv.exe
What program were you trying to uninstall? The black backgroud sounds like a "DOS" style window opening and closing. If you click Start, Run, and type ipconfig, and click ok did it look like that?
Hi stopthepop! Thanks for responding to my post. I tried uninstalling 3 or 4 different programs- PC Pitstop optimize, Spyware Doctor, and Diskeeper, among others. Some I didn't want anymore and some I was going to reinstall an update. With all, it was the same result. Yes, it is a DOS style window. It pops up for only a fraction of a second. As far as I can tell, the frame at the top of the window is labled something like C:\Proga~1\Regist~1\unins000.exe. Not enirely sure- its gone pretty quick- but I think that's pretty close.
Is add or remove programs working on any program? Are you able to test with something you can replace? Any other issues? Slow speeds, long boot times. Have you backed up your important files lately? I would start here if you have not.
Hi stopthepop! thanks for your reply. I think I figured out the problem. I tried testing add/remove programs using several small, nonvital programs that could be easily downloaded again, and it worked just fine. It seems that just by coincidence, with the two programs that I tried to remove, the unisntallers were missing from the program files. I had to uninstall these manually. Otherwise, add/ remove seems to be working with the others. Thanks for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI