Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How often do you run your virus & malware scans?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 micaman

micaman

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Malware!

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:28 PM

I was just wondering if most viewers run their detection programs as often as they should. I have found the best performance gain by running all of them every 10-15 hours and at the very least, every 20 hours. I would even run them after a few hours if roaming around on the web to unknown sites! I find a lot of computers that I work on are only run once a week!! This is not near enough. :wtf:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ewanog

ewanog

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

Every 15-20 hours is really uncalled for IMO. I have Norton Antivirus that runs once a week and hardly ever finds viruses. I run my anti spyware utilities once every couple of weeks or more often if my computer seems to be acting sluggish. It doesnt take most viruses or piece of spyware 20 hours to wreck your computer, normally a week or two

#3 Siggyx

Siggyx

SuperHelper

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

Actually you are wrong. Depending on what you pick up you can loose control of computer almost instanlty. Sometimes you wont even know you have lost control if you have a trojan or keylogger. Now, I spend a lot of time on the net and even more time tracking down the bad stuff ( nature of the beast when you are fixing systems). If you are on a lot, especially if you are on cable which means you are on all the time why not just have the scanner do a scan nightly while you sleep. No down time for you and a clear mind for the next day.

#4 micaman

micaman

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Malware!

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:10 AM

Siggyx, you are soooo right! The malware of today is very powerful. It use to be OK to run scans weekly or bi-monthly, but that just won't work anymore. The point of running scans is to catch the stuff early and prevent your machine from building up the number of malware. Malware beacons out to the web and alerts rogue websites and other malware about your security flaws. The build-up continues until your loaded. When this happens, you have lost control of your machine and that means ~ IT'S NOT YOUR MACHINE ANYMORE. The scum-writers own your hardware, which just became a heap of junk, if you can not clean it of infection. As a Consultant and Network Administrator, I have watched machines go downhill in a day or two. Everyone needs to step up the scans. If you only go to a few trusted sites a few hours a week, then you could run them every few weeks, but a busy surfer roaming the world, on the web, needs them more. I train my clients to forget the days, focus on the hours online. When you shut your infected machine down, the malware can get a better grip on your system. Some malware will hide and use your machine for attacks on others, and you may not see signs of infection right away. Others will show up right away. Below is the rule around here. We also have many default settings tweaked to add better defenses as well. Some people will think it is excessive, but when you have Attorneys (clients) roaming the globe, They pick up a lot of strange stuff! M.I.C.A. MAINTENANCE 1) ‘Scan’ for Adware, Spyware and all Malware DAILY. 2) Clean your ‘Temporary Internet files’ and ‘History list’ every 3 Days. 3) Clear your ‘SSL state’ every 3 Days. 4) Clear your ‘Java files’ in your Java console every 3 Days 5) Empty the ‘Recycle bin’ every 3 Days. 6) ‘Defrag’ your hard Drive every 5 Days. 7) ‘Scan’ for Viruses and Trojans every 4 Days. 8) ‘Degauss’ your monitor by turning it off completely and back on, every 5 Days. 9) ‘Completely turn off’ your machine every 5 Days. This is different than re-starting. When you re-start, it does not shut down 100% Along with everything listed, I use McAfee SecuritySuite, HiJackThis!, JV16 PowerTools, FireFox browser, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware and Webroot Spy Sweeper. I check for updates for all of the software and hardware weekly. With this set-up, my clients work hard, and I get to sleep at night! :)