Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal
Dan from Burbank's HJT Log
42 min read
danjohn
It's not that big a file…
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
hpsysdrv REG_SZ c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
HotKeysCmds REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
HP Component Manager REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
HPHUPD05 REG_SZ c:\Program Files\HP\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
HPHmon05 REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
KBD REG_SZ C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
VTTimer REG_SZ VTTimer.exe
AGRSMMSG REG_SZ AGRSMMSG.exe
YBrowser REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
2wSysTray REG_SZ C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
UpdateManager REG_SZ "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
RoxioEngineUtility REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
RoxioDragToDisc REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
RoxioAudioCentral REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
ccApp REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
SSC_UserPrompt REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
QuickTime Task REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
iTunesHelper REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
AlcxMonitor REG_SZ ALCXMNTR.EXE
IgfxTray REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
MSConfig REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
TkBellExe REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-167367719-2909908708-4152928107-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
RecordNow! REG_SZ
BackupNotify REG_SZ c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
AIM REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-167367719-2909908708-4152928107-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
thanks!
DJ
Micah_6:8
Bummer…..
Let's do this.
Go to:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
And create a restore point.
Then go to:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
And restore the system. I'd like it to be at a point as close to, BUT BEFORE, you ran Ewido the last time.
Then reboot and let me know what happens.
If the boot is successful, post a new log file.

Let's do this.
Go to:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
And create a restore point.
Then go to:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
And restore the system. I'd like it to be at a point as close to, BUT BEFORE, you ran Ewido the last time.
Then reboot and let me know what happens.
If the boot is successful, post a new log file.
danjohn
System restore has been turned off and cannot be turned on in safe mode. To turn on System Restore, restart in Normal mode, and then run System Restore again.
DJ
Micah_6:8
Do you have windows cd's to do a repair install if necessary? 
danjohn
I have the one from my own computer, but I believe this one was loaded with the computer and I don't believe I made a backup copy.
Am I in that much trouble?
Micah_6:8
Normally, most PC's are sold with a "recovery cd" for times like this.
Is that handy?
I'm still investigating all options, but unless I can figure out what is keeping it from booting, things aren't looking very promising… 
danjohn
nope, there's no recovery CD. I can probably get the serial number of my windows program somewhere in the system; would that help in obtaining a replacement copy from MS? Also, my Safe mode screen seems to indicate I only have SP1 installed….would it help to try to download and install SP2? Maybe it will fix whatever's broken…
DJ
Micah_6:8
What is the exact error message you get when trying to boot "normally"?
Do you have a "system recovery" on this machine?
What version of XP are you running?
Copy the text in the following quote box into Notepad:
Now, the ff.bat file on the desktop. A Notepad window will open up.
Please paste it's contents into your next post.
Do you have a "system recovery" on this machine?
What version of XP are you running?
Copy the text in the following quote box into Notepad:
Save it to your desktop as ff.bat.reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore > reg.txt
notepad reg.txt
Now, the ff.bat file on the desktop. A Notepad window will open up.
Please paste it's contents into your next post.
danjohn
The message is on a black screen, with simple DOS-type text. It says something like, 'we're sorry for the inconvenience, but Windows could not load. It's possible a recent software or hardware change has caused this problem." Then it gives me the option to try starting again, or start in safe mode, etc. There is no error # or identifier.
I'm running Windows XP 2002 with SP1. There is a partitioned drive with system recovery capability. I understand I'd lose all data on the computer if I used this to recover the system. Do you know if my son can use his iPod to recover the 18G of music on the computer? That's probably the biggest headache. He also has a lot of pictures, and I doubt if we can burn CDs in safe mode.
I tried running that batch file, but there was an error message, about an invalid or incorrect paramater. The system kept sticking a "1" in front of "> reg.txt"
There is a SystemRestore folder at that place in the registry, with 12 bits of data and two subfolders, Cfg and SnapshotCallbacks.
Happy Labor Day!
DJ
Micah_6:8
I think we want to know specifically what's in this value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\\DisableSR
Please post the value you have there.
It'll be 0 (zero) or 1 (one).
I have someone assisting. He's on European time, so we'll have to wait.
We haven't given up on getting the critter to boot just yet.

Added in edit:
I got the reg query command to work:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\\DisableSR
Please post the value you have there.
It'll be 0 (zero) or 1 (one).
I have someone assisting. He's on European time, so we'll have to wait.
We haven't given up on getting the critter to boot just yet.
Added in edit:
I got the reg query command to work:
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore" > reg.txt
notepad reg.txt
danjohn
Here's the batch file output:
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
DisableSR REG_DWORD 0x1
CreateFirstRunRp REG_DWORD 0x1
DSMin REG_DWORD 0xc8
DSMax REG_DWORD 0x190
RPSessionInterval REG_DWORD 0x0
RPGlobalInterval REG_DWORD 0x15180
RPLifeInterval REG_DWORD 0x76a700
CompressionBurst REG_DWORD 0x3c
TimerInterval REG_DWORD 0x78
DiskPercent REG_DWORD 0xc
ThawInterval REG_DWORD 0x384
RestoreDiskSpaceError REG_DWORD 0x0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\Cfg
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\SnapshotCallbacks
As you can see, the Disable value is a 1, which I assume means yes. Can I alter that manually?
Now I have two people to thank…
DJ
Micah_6:8
The fact the data is there is very promising. I'm almost certain there's a way to just restore the system files and not erase the data. I'm just not sure how to do it.There is a partitioned drive with system recovery capability. I understand I'd lose all data on the computer if I used this to recover the system.
I believe that is the direction we are headed, but I'm not sure.As you can see, the Disable value is a 1, which I assume means yes. Can I alter that manually?
I think we'll change that to 0 (zero), have you reboot, and then see if you can access system restore.
But please wait until the person assisting has a peek. I'd hate to mess things up at this point.
danjohn
Thanks! I'm standing by…
DJ
Micah_6:8
Plug in the IPOD to see if you can recover the music files.
Also, try to burn CD's to save whatever data you want off the machine.
We're thinking that if we can get the machine back to a "bootable" state, it may be like it was the day it was boxed up at the factory.
Also, for now, keep it disconnected from the Internet.
Let me know how things go.

danjohn
Since we can only boot in safe mode, there isn't the possibility of burning CDs. Also, my son is fairly sure he can use the files on his iPod to rebuild the computer's library, but at this point we can't find the iPod startup software. I appreciate all you've done, sincerely. I guess I'll try to find the serial #'s for the iPod and Windows software, and see if I can get replacement software from them without paying full price….also, I'll probably haul the computer to a local computer guru and see if they can get it up and running without the wipe.
So, it doesn't help to try to change the System Restore parameter to 0?
Thanks again
DJ
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI