This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help! I've done all I can think of!

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Micah…..YOU DID IT….Problem finally resolved!!!! YA HOOO!!!!!! :P :weee: :P So, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! You are the best!!! I went to the documentation, as you suggested, and it said that there were TWO ways to uninstall the program…..well, when I tried the other way, it said that a file was "missing"….well this told me that I needed to reinstall the program…..YUK….which i did……begrudgingly (sp?). So, after I reinstalled it, I was able to uninstall it!!! YEAH!!! So, again, Thank you for ALL your help!! Now, I just have to reinstall my McAfee again. I should be able to do my Windows updates now too, shouldn't I??? Thanks again, Joy2All
Windows updates should work now. I don't know why the online virus scan didn't kill the blaster worm. I have seen it in other logs, and it worked… Oh well… Así es la vída! :)
Well, I don't know what's wrong now….but McAfee doesn't seem to want to reload. I seem to be stuck in a loop. I tell it to load the VirusScan Professional 9, and it starts, then a window comes up and says that it is looking for older versions, and may need to restart my computer, then it highlights the restart button, and restarts my pc, and we start over, and it redoes the same thing…..hmmmmm I have never had this many problems at one time…..I am sooooo sorry!!!!! I must be ginxed!!!! I don't think I should ever touch this thing again!!!
Sometimes "orphaned" registry entries can cause programs to not want to reinstall. Please post another Hijack This! log file. We may need to do some registry manipulation to get it to re-install. I've "been there and done that" with a game my Wife and Daughter play that screwed up when installing an "update".
OK….you asked for it…..thanks so much…. :oops:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:29:27 PM, on 8/23/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ICO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKWnd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G Wireless Adapter Utility\AirPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\CC\MSNCC\logonmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\CC\MSNCC\msncc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adb…/search/ie.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Dictionary.com - {11359F4A-B191-42d7-905A-594F8CF0387B} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\lexbar.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Dictionary.com - {11359F4A-B191-42D7-905A-594F8CF0387B} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\lexbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HKSERV.EXE] C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZTgServerSwitch] c:\program files\support.com\client\lserver\server.vbs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Recovery] C:\Windows\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\PartSeal.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WildTangent CDA] RUNDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll",cdaEngineMain
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSProSetup] F:\VSP\Enu\setup.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\billmind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link REG Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\QWDLLS.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search &Dictionary - C:\Program files\Lexico\Toolbar\dictionary.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search &Thesaurus - C:\Program files\Lexico\Toolbar\thesaurus.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: View Original Image - C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\CC\MSNCC\WA\getoriginal.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsc…84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {75565ED2-1560-4F15-B841-20358DE6A0D1} (ImageControl Class) - http://c.ancestry.com/cab/ImageViewer/MFImgVwr.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmg…,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
O16 - DPF: {F0E2D69A-DC2F-4E9B-A993-684FB1C21DBC} - http://dictionary.reference.com/tools/toolbar/lexico.cab
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\acs.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer /DisplayName="VAIO Media Music Server (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="Applications\MusicServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server\appsrv\PhotoAppSrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Applications\PhotoServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
Lot's of McAfee entries in there…. Looks like it never was uninstalled (even though you tried). Can you tell if it's "active" or not?
All of the icons are gone, and when i go into add / remove programs, it isn't listed any more…..but i do have other mcafee products….Personal Firewall….SpamKiller…..and Security Center, which just is just a holding center for all of them. This may be more difficult than you thought…..sorry.
Micah…..I went to McAfee…and ended up going to their online help….one of their guys sent me some instructions to manually uninstall virus scan….which I did, but it unfortunately didn't help. I went back to their online help, and a different person started to help me….but after i spent about 30 minutes explaining what had happened, it seemed he was assisting more than just me…..there were long pauses in between my questions, and his answers….after awhile, it seemed to me he started to forget even what we had talked about, and I gave up, and hung up on him. I had told him the problem was that when I tried to reinstall the software it got stuck in a loop…….i used the manual uninstall instructions, and all it accomplished was that it let me start the cd from the beginning, but it went right back into the loop again…..so i had redone the manual uninstallation again….after one of his looooooonnnngggggg absences….I asked him if he had any suggestions what I should try now, and he said I should try reinstalling the software…..that was when I lost it and hung up. I tried to log back on and get a different service person, but they were all busy, and I was third in line…..I waited awhile, and gave up…..I'm tired, and I'm going to bed for tonight. I'll work on this some more tomorrow. Thanks again for your help, and I'll let you know what happens. Joy2ALL :P
Okie dokie…

The only other things I could think of would be to just uninstall EVERYTHING McAfee put on the machine, then re-install everything (if you have it on a CD).

That might work.

Or, I may be able to see something in the registry that is stopping it. I can't guarantee results, only that I'll peek at it if you want.

If you want me to look at possible registry items to remove that may help, do this:

Please download/unzip this:

RegScan.vbs

on Regscan.vbs, and search for this:

mcafee

Paste the contents of the results into your next post.
:)
Hey there!!! I just wanted to let you know…that all is well and running fine. :D :P :) I spoke to McAfee again and actually got someone good this time, that gave me instructions to solve the problem I was having……WOW!!! Really UNBELIEVABLE!!! :weee: :P :P :weee: :P

and it did!!! solve the problem…..and McAfee is now reinstalled!!!!!

p.s….the problem was a stray Panda registry file, but i deleted it, and it solved the problem…..

So, you said you wanted a new log file……and here it is….I think you are just a glutten for punishment!!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:19:23 PM, on 8/24/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ICO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKWnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G Wireless Adapter Utility\AirPlus.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\CC\MSNCC\logonmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\CC\MSNCC\msncc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adb…/search/ie.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Dictionary.com - {11359F4A-B191-42d7-905A-594F8CF0387B} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\lexbar.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Dictionary.com - {11359F4A-B191-42D7-905A-594F8CF0387B} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\lexbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HKSERV.EXE] C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZTgServerSwitch] c:\program files\support.com\client\lserver\server.vbs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Recovery] C:\Windows\Sonysys\VAIO Recovery\PartSeal.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanUp] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Shared\mcappins.exe /v=3 /cleanup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Billminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\billmind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: D-Link REG Utility.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\QWDLLS.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search &Dictionary - C:\Program files\Lexico\Toolbar\dictionary.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search &Thesaurus - C:\Program files\Lexico\Toolbar\thesaurus.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: View Original Image - C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\CC\MSNCC\WA\getoriginal.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsc…84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {75565ED2-1560-4F15-B841-20358DE6A0D1} (ImageControl Class) - http://c.ancestry.com/cab/ImageViewer/MFImgVwr.cab
O16 - DPF: {78AEEDE8-7345-4FB5-A8FE-4BFF16EF25FC} (McAfee Virtual Technician Control Class) - http://us-download.mcafee.com/products/protected/mvt/mvt.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmg…,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/…561/mcfscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {F0E2D69A-DC2F-4E9B-A993-684FB1C21DBC} - http://dictionary.reference.com/tools/toolbar/lexico.cab
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\acs.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Music Server\SSSvr.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer /DisplayName="VAIO Media Music Server (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\sv_httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="Applications\MusicServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Photo Server\appsrv\PhotoAppSrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\SV_Httpd.exe" /Service=VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP /RegRoot="Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Media Platform\2.0" /RegExt="\Applications\PhotoServer\HTTP (file missing)
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Media Platform\UPnPFramework.exe


Good Luck…Let's hope it's CLEAN!!!!!

Oops! :o One more question……

I also wanted to ask you….The McAfee guy said the MSBLASTER.EXE virus….was spyware, and not a virus, so that is why my mcafee did not catch it….i needed mcafee antispyware (another product, of course), i told him i had downloaded Spyware Blaster, would that work?, and he said yes, but he would recommend Spybot or Lavasoft over the one i had downloaded. I wanted to ask if you had an opinion on this issue. Do you?? That's it…..Thanks
The log looks good!!! :thumbup:

Spyware Blaster is a protection against malicious "active-x" scripts. They show up in your log in the lines starting with "O16".

Malicious scripts can install spyware, and other bad things on your machine.

If McAfee doesn't guard against this kind of thing, then installing Spyware Blaster was a good thing.

I do recommend you downloading/installing/running Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware:

Get Spybot - Search & Destroy from Spybot Search and Destroy
(This is the NEW Version 1.4)
Get AdAware SE Personal from Lavasoft
(This is the NEW Build 1.6)

Download and install these programs if you don't already have them. If you do have them, make sure they are UPDATED AND CONFIGURED AS DESCRIBED here:

Configure Adaware

Configure Spybot

Reboot after running each program.

If they don't find anything they can't fix, then you're "good to go".

Keep Spybot and Adaware updated, and run them weekly (minimum).

:)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI