This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

My HJT log re trojan

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi - when I log on to the internet I always check manually for updates to all my anti-malware programs before I do anything else (good reformed_fanboy ;)) but today AVG just wouldn't connect :o . Freaked by this I logged off the internet and did a full malware check (which I would have done later anyway as Sunday is PC Admin day) :D .

Good old a-squared came up with the following:

Filename
C:/Applications/Driver/Video/Win2000/igfxtray.exe
C:/WINDOWS/system32/igfxtray.exe

Diagnosis
Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Paradrop.a
Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Paradrop.a


AVG is now successfully updated I'm glad to say but I would very much appreciate your perusal of the following HJT log to see if I'm clear of this particular nasty.

Thanks very much in anticipation of your help.


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:26:07, on 07/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SnoopFreeUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works

Shared\WkCalRem.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Desktop\Misc\Set

Ups\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/iesearch/default.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title =

Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Wanadoo
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}

- C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5

-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -

C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Wanadoo - {8B68564D-53FD-4293-B80C-993A9F3988EE} -

C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\WSBar\WSBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe

/STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SnoopFreeUI] SnoopFreeUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program

Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone

Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program

Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [snpstd] C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN

Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"

/background
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program

Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: Stickies.lnk = C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe
O4 - Startup: WKCALREM.LNK = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft

Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search with Wanadoo - res://C:\PROGRA~1

\Wanadoo\WSBar\WSBar.dll/VSearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}

- C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-

AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02

\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} -

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683}

- C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-

BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} -

http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-

gb/4,0,0,84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} -

http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-

Spyware Scanner) -

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF}

(MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) -

http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse…pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} -

http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-

gb/1,0,0,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EDE384EE-DB57-4E96-86DD-

C3B78BBFEB4A}: NameServer = 195.92.195.95 195.92.195.94
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o.

- C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation -

c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Snoop Free Service (SnoopFreeSvc) - Unknown owner -

C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC -

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Please download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Install it, and update the definitions to the newest files.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Then please run Ewido, and run a full scan. Save the logfile from the scan.

Restart your computer in normal mode and please post a new HijackThis log, as well as the log from the Ewido scan.

Before you post your log open notepad then options and make sure wordwrap is not checked please.
Hi Siggyx, thanks for those instructions :) . I've done as you've asked and the log files are below. However, when I logged on today to see if anyone had been able to help me with my problem I had the same situation as yesterday i.e. AVG wouldn't update :angry: . So I logged off the internet and did another A-squared scan and it came up with this:

Filename
C:/ProgramFiles/Screensavers.com/Installer/bin/ScreensaversInst.dll
Diagnosis
Adware.Comet.c


[Sorry but I don't know how to type a backward slash on my keyboard :oops:]

Clearing this didn't allow the AVG update though so I downloaded the Ewido program and after it had done its stuff I could :D.

So, if you will indulge me I have a number of questions please:

i/ I've checked the AVG website FAQ in respect of not being able to download updates and have complied with all of their instructions. So may I assume therefore that if I'm unable to download AVG updates that I have malware on my pc that is blocking this? Would it ever be a problem with the server or the internet itself?

ii/ I've had more malware on my pc in the last couple of days than I normally get in weeks (unless it's been on there for weeks but all my anti-malware apps haven't picked them up! :o) So is there any way I can work out how I am getting them apart from visiting each of my regular sites in turn, doing a full scan and eliminating them as the source before doing the next site and so on? I'd like to think that I'm pretty responsible with regard to what sort of sites I visit. I don't go to dodgy porn sites or file-sharing, warez type sites for example. The only change to my normal surfing habits recently has been a couple of my regular MSN Messenger contacts are in a Spanish camping site internet cafe and I've also been reading a Blog I've never visited before.

iii/ Since I only use I.E. on the odd occasion that Firefox won't let me do what I want on a site is there an equivalent to SpywareGuard do you know, as I understand this is I.E. only?

iv/ If you recommend that I continue with Ewido after the trial ends, will I be able to download updates without paying for the full version? Funds are very, very limited for me I'm afraid!

Please do tell me I'm asking in the wrong place or the wrong Forum but any help you could give me with this, even if it's to redirect me would be much appreciated. Thanks once again for your help - it's very welcome indeed!

———————————————————
ewido security suite - Scan report
———————————————————

+ Created on: 16:08:17, 08/08/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 64F44D1C

+ Scan result:

HKU\S-1-5-21-3549545202-2982644012-3422746878-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} -> Spyware.WinFavorites : Cleaned with backup
HKU\S-1-5-21-3549545202-2982644012-3422746878-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{43F02779-6D88-4958-8AD3-83C12D86ADC7} -> Spyware.AdvancedSearchbar : Cleaned with backup
HKU\S-1-5-21-3549545202-2982644012-3422746878-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} -> Spyware.NewDotNet : Cleaned with backup
HKU\S-1-5-21-3549545202-2982644012-3422746878-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{82315A18-6CFB-44A7-BDFD-90E36537C252} -> Spyware.NewDotNet : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Cookies\[removed][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Yieldmanager : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Local Settings\Application Data\Wildtangent\Cdacache\00\00\0C.dat/files\wtvh.dll -> Spyware.WildTangent : Error during cleaning
C:\WINDOWS\iLookup -> Adware.eZula : Cleaned with backup


::Report End


Ewido asked me if I wanted to clear Wildtangent but would only do so by removing the whole item - wasn't sure if I should do this so decided to err on the side of caution and not do so until you advised that it was safe to do this.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 16:21:32, on 08/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SnoopFreeUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Desktop\Misc\Set Ups\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/iesearch/default.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Wanadoo
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Wanadoo - {8B68564D-53FD-4293-B80C-993A9F3988EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\WSBar\WSBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SnoopFreeUI] SnoopFreeUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [snpstd] C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: Stickies.lnk = C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe
O4 - Startup: WKCALREM.LNK = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search with Wanadoo - res://C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\WSBar\WSBar.dll/VSearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse…pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Snoop Free Service (SnoopFreeSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

i/ I've checked the AVG website FAQ in respect of not being able to download updates and have complied with all of their instructions. So may I assume therefore that if I'm unable to download AVG updates that I have malware on my pc that is blocking this? Would it ever be a problem with the server or the internet itself?


This could be the case lets see what happens when you are clean.

ii/ I've had more malware on my pc in the last couple of days than I normally get in weeks (unless it's been on there for weeks but all my anti-malware apps haven't picked them up! ) So is there any way I can work out how I am getting them apart from visiting each of my regular sites in turn, doing a full scan and eliminating them as the source before doing the next site and so on? I'd like to think that I'm pretty responsible with regard to what sort of sites I visit. I don't go to dodgy porn sites or file-sharing, warez type sites for example. The only change to my normal surfing habits recently has been a couple of my regular MSN Messenger contacts are in a Spanish camping site internet cafe and I've also been reading a Blog I've never visited before.


It only takes one bad file or activex to start your problem. These things can act like a magnet for othe bad stuff. If your security settings arnt strong enough then you can get all kinds of junk.

iii/ Since I only use I.E. on the odd occasion that Firefox won't let me do what I want on a site is there an equivalent to SpywareGuard do you know, as I understand this is I.E. only?


I would recommend using Firefox all of the time. The only thing you really need IE for updates.

iv/ If you recommend that I continue with Ewido after the trial ends, will I be able to download updates without paying for the full version? Funds are very, very limited for me I'm afraid!


This setup contains the free as well as the plus-version of the ewido security suite. After the installation, a free 14-day test version containing all the extensions of the plus-version will be activated. At the end of the test phase, the extensions of the plus version are deactivated and the freeware version can be used unlimited times. The purchased license code of the plus version can be entered at any time.

Scan with hijackthis and put a check beside these lines and choose FIX

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab

Then reboot and post a new log. How is it running after the reboot?
Hi Siggyx - thanks once again for your help with this.


i/ I've checked the AVG website FAQ in respect of not being able to download updates and have complied with all of their instructions. So may I assume therefore that if I'm unable to download AVG updates that I have malware on my pc that is blocking this? Would it ever be a problem with the server or the internet itself?


This could be the case lets see what happens when you are clean.


Okay, thanks.

ii/ I've had more malware on my pc in the last couple of days than I normally get in weeks (unless it's been on there for weeks but all my anti-malware apps haven't picked them up! ) So is there any way I can work out how I am getting them apart from visiting each of my regular sites in turn, doing a full scan and eliminating them as the source before doing the next site and so on? I'd like to think that I'm pretty responsible with regard to what sort of sites I visit. I don't go to dodgy porn sites or file-sharing, warez type sites for example. The only change to my normal surfing habits recently has been a couple of my regular MSN Messenger contacts are in a Spanish camping site internet cafe and I've also been reading a Blog I've never visited before.


It only takes one bad file or activex to start your problem.  These things can act like a magnet for othe bad stuff.  If your security settings arnt strong enough then you can get all kinds of junk.


Oh I didn't know that - that's useful to know, thanks.

iii/ Since I only use I.E. on the odd occasion that Firefox won't let me do what I want on a site is there an equivalent to SpywareGuard do you know, as I understand this is I.E. only?


I would recommend using Firefox all of the time.  The only thing you really need IE for updates.


Well I only use IE for listening to the BBC and Classic FM websites - for some reason Firefox struggles with this for me and for downloading videos where Firefox won't give me a right click option to do so.


iv/ If you recommend that I continue with Ewido after the trial ends, will I be able to download updates without paying for the full version? Funds are very, very limited for me I'm afraid!


This setup contains the free as well as the plus-version of the ewido security suite. After the installation, a free 14-day test version containing all the extensions of the plus-version will be activated. At the end of the test phase, the extensions of the plus version are deactivated and the freeware version can be used unlimited times. The purchased license code of the plus version can be entered at any time.


Thanks I did know this as I had a good look at their website. I was really only concerned with whether I'd be able to keep using the program with current updates after the end of the trial period. Reading between the lines I won't have the active guard and won't have the really big updates to the program but only have a couple of weeks to find out so we'll see :) .

I think you may have missed my comment in my last post about Wildtangent? I did a quick Google and this is definately not something I want on my pc - is it okay for me to rescan with ewido and remove the whole item?

Also I no longer have mcafee so would it be okay to remove those items using HJT too?



How is it running after the reboot?

196156


New HJT log follows as instructed - my pc's been fine since the ewido clean up to be honest and seems okay now too.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:19:56, on 10/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SnoopFreeUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Desktop\Misc\Set Ups\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/iesearch/default.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Wanadoo
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Wanadoo - {8B68564D-53FD-4293-B80C-993A9F3988EE} - C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\WSBar\WSBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SnoopFreeUI] SnoopFreeUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [snpstd] C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: Stickies.lnk = C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe
O4 - Startup: WKCALREM.LNK = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Search with Wanadoo - res://C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\WSBar\WSBar.dll/VSearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…84/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse…pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…,21/mcgdmgr.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Snoop Free Service (SnoopFreeSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\SnoopFreeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Log looks fine. You can have Ewido clean out wildtangent if you want. It is sometimes used for fames that why I did not comment on it. Go ahead and use Hijackthis to clear out Mcafee if you no longer use it.

Log looks fine.


:D Great - thanks! :D

You can have Ewido clean out wildtangent if you want.  It is sometimes used for fames that why I did not comment on it.


Sorry, fames?

Go ahead and use Hijackthis to clear out Mcafee if you no longer use it.

196838


Thanks - will do.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI