Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE problems

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

I did look at the traffic , security, and applicationlog. Every thing seems to be correct in the logs. IE has access and firefox has access and process associated with those apps. Oh well do not worry to much about this problem if you happen to run across a fix just email me and I will see if it works. Thanks for your help rand1038

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 rand1038

rand1038

Take over your PC or someone else will.

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

Looking through the jscript files that ms sends to IE when you visit windows updates and then looking at the packet log it is apparent that MS is using the user agent string to check the browser version. This is indeed a strange problem.

If you would like to try reinstalling IE here is the magic for that.
Make sure you back up your bookmarks or you will lose them

Before you go through the reinstall process make sure you back up (export) your bookmarks (a.k.a. favorites). If there are any websites that you don't remember the passwords for because IE automatically fills them in for you, visit the sites, change your password and write it down.

After you have backed up your favorites, copy the contents of the quote box to a plain text document and name it "ReinstIE.REG". Save it to your desktop as type "All Files (*.*)".
Note that "REGEDIT4" must be the first line of the file, no blank line above it.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}]
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000000

Double click ReinstIE.REG and say "Ok" to add its information to the registry.
Next go here (with firefox, not IE. Don't run IE anymore until the reinstall is done) and download the installer for Internet Explorer. You must download the installer, do not run it from the web. Once you have downloaded the installer, shut down all open programs (any with place holders in the taskbar) and any monitoring software, such as spybot S&D teatimer, WinPatrol, Adaware's adwatch, etc.

Make sure Internet Explorer is shut down.

Run the installer you downloaded. You must have an open internet connection for this to work. If you firewall asks you about running ie6setup.exe say yes. You will get other questions from your firewall as the install progresses. Answer yes to them (they should contain something about contacting a site with windows.com in the name).

Once the reinstall completes, reboot your computer. Post back here with how things went.

After the reinstall of IE is complete then reboot the computer.

Edited by rand1038, 12 August 2005 - 02:36 PM.

Everyone gets specific instructions, disregard what you don't need.
I don't know your skill level.

"I would rather be bruised by the truth than caressed by lies."

The help you receive here is free.
If you can
please help keep us online by donating.

Posted Image

#18 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

the abannodon system files are old norton system works from 2003 i do not know but I stop some services from loading on starup and some programs. It is easier to me doing it this way than going thourgh the services tab in manager. :huh:

#19 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

Okay i did download the file in firefox, closed all open files in task bar and ran the regedit file from the desk top and launched the installer from the desktop and it gives the message setup has detected a new version of Ie installed on this system Setup cannot continue

Attached Thumbnails

• Error_message.JPG

#20 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

Before you do the IE reinstall you should reenable all the services that you have disabled and see if things work better. If it helps then disable them one by one and see when it breaks again.

Another procedure you can try for reinstalling IE
Make sure you export your favorites first
First download and install RegeditX. Get the 2.0 Beta, I use it and have had no problems at all.
Next run regeditx (you can type REGEDITX in the Start > Run box).
Copy the following (Ctrl + C):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Go to the regeditx address bar, highlight everything in the bar and then paste (Ctrl + V) to paste what you copied in.
Regedit will jump to that key.
Right click {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} and choose export and save as a .reg file in a convenient location.
Look in the right pane of regedit and:
Find the value "(default)", right click it, choose modify, delete the data, click ok.
find the value "Installed", right click it, choose modify and change the value to 0 (that is zero) then click ok.
find the vaue "version", right click it, chosse modify, delete the data, click ok.

Open a command prompt to the folder where you have put the IE installer and type ie6setup /Q and press enter.
The install should start. That is the "Quiet" switch so you will know what is happening by the network and harddrive activity, you will not receive any prompts.

Let us know how that works.

Edited by rand1038, 18 August 2005 - 09:17 AM.

If you can

Posted Image

#21 zz4

zz4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:38 AM

I surfed here from a Google SEARCH. I am lacking the computer experience that come with years of fiddling with such. Sort of new. ==BUT==I am having the exact problem as described in this thread... I see others out there also.(other than this forum) I can't recall my events but was fiddling with Symantec Systemworks---and SP2 for XP....and MSN9 package for MSN ISP users.(I have no interest in bloated MSN9 but if you want 10 users with your MSN ISP you have to install MSN9. i.e. get the users and delete MSN9. 10 hotmail email accounts that don't expire...... I could not install MSN9. I could not install any Symantec product.(despite it dumping junk files into c drive) SP2 I think installed ok. Next I discover every place I go thats Microsoft related I can't see the page. Hotmail..sign in via passport...Microsoft UPDATES. Sourcing the 'blank' page the little html stuff seems to indicate 'javascript disabled'. I go to AOL. Elsewhere. Every place with a 'secure' address can't see the page.(https://) On my computer even RESTORE is a blank page. For the MSN9 thing the 'installer page' is a blank page. I decided to re-download MSIE6. It went fine and all the above problems were corrected. I few days later I did some royal screw-up and deleted (or got deleted somehow) setup.exe for 'internetexplorer' in the folder. So needed a fresh download again. Why would I think I could not get a fresh download? No attempt at a download would work. All I would get is YOU HAVE A NEWER VERSION BLAH BLAH BLAH I manually got rid of everything in internetexplorer folder. It never showed in control panel programs. BUT EVERYTHING as described in this thread. I can't even install anything Microsoft from a disk.(you must have javascript enabled !!!!!) I downloaded Firefox and right away could use the web ok again. BUT there seem to be certain functions that need MSIE. In searching Microsoft help pages there is a page on this problem. Manually editing registry. To me...a new-comer I don't fully understand their instructions. As to your instructions could you assist me a little? (seems to be dealing with same sounding registry keys) You say make a txt page and put it in /desktop folder? Please elaborate a little. Enter exact WHAT in the text page? I have not heard if it fixed the other persons problem.

#22 zz4

zz4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:42 AM

I'm getting dumber and dumber. Please excuse my lack of experience. You say make a text page and put it into desktop files. In the text page just ONLY the registry code? I don't know how to make a text page except on the web. I guess if the web space is ad free only the text language you show will show.----then save to my computer.....

Edited by zz4, 19 August 2005 - 09:13 AM.

#23 zz4

zz4

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:52 AM

Heres a txt page..ok?

http://www.freepgs.com/zzzz/msie6.txt

#24 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

Okay, I did edit the registry key that you informed me to alter. when I altered the keys and installed IE6 it reboots and gives me the error message on logon that some dlls can not be found for logon, 3 of them and the forth window will not let me log on it will only do a restart and fail again. so I did last know good config. I am about to find my xp disc format and reinstall. That is a easy fix just need to back up my mp3s and some docs and should be good to go. thanks for all of your help.

#25 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:20 PM

I'm sorry we couldn't find an easier solution for you bigfoot9090. Good luck with the reinstall.

zz4, if you need help please start your own topic.

This topic is closed, if you need it reopened please contact us by clicking here.
Include a valid, working link to this topic in your email request. You must also put "reopen" in the subject line.
If any of this is missing or you are not the topic starter, the mail will be deleted.
:wavey:
Thank You

If you can

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove