OK. We'll stay with this one beings they have the same issues.
That last scan didn't show any bad guys.
Let's try this one.
Download Registry Search by Bobbi Fleckman and unzip it into its' own folder. Doubleclick RegSearch.exe to start it. Enter 1dial in the search section (top) and click "Ok". Notepad will be opened with text in it (the file will be saved in the program's folder as well). Post this text.
LDTate:
It's been a bad day. I am writing from my home computer to let you know that it will be a day or two before I can follow your instructions and get back to you on the office computer. I was very excited today to receive my new flat screen 19" monitor. I had to disconnect everything to get the thing connected because I couldn't get the plug for the old monitor out of the holes that were drilled into the desk without removing some cords. When I plugged in my large hp printer (I have two, one photo, one larger b & w) I didn't notice that I must have hit the power button while moving things around, and it was on when I plugged it in. I heard a zap and smelled that dreaded burn smell (even though I have a power surge bar). Went to turn the tower on and it sounded kinda different. It turns on, but doesn't do anything else, won't even shut off if I push the button; no disc drawers open, no keyboard, no anything on my new screen. I think the motherboard got fried. So I will have to call the guy that built it for us and get the board replaced. So please don't forget about me. If you want, I can download the WinPFind, and the one you mention above onto this (home) computer and post both results so we can at least try to get this one cleared up. Or we can just wait until I get the office one running and continue with that one then.
LDTate:
Here is the log. BTW - I never did the thing with the DNS numbers that was in the copied post that you sent me. I was waiting to see what you had to say. Do you want me to go back to that post and print out the instructions, and then use the numbers that were shown to me at that site that my ISP told me to go to?
REGEDIT4
; Registry Search by Bobbi Flekman
; Version: 1.0.2.1
; Results at 9/6/2005 9:27:52 PM for strings:
; '1dial'
; Strings excluded from search:
; (None)
; Search in:
; Registry Keys Registry Values Registry Data
; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS
; End Of The Log…
First of all it would be a good idea to flush the local DNS cache so we are starting with a clean sheet!
1.click Start> Run> type in CMD tap enter. Copy/Paste the following into command prompt:
ipconfig /flushdns
You will then get the following window appear confirming the flush,
At the command prompt: type exit.
See if that works.
If not,
Do you want me to go back to that post and print out the instructions, and then use the numbers that were shown to me at that site that my ISP told me to go to?
LDTate:
Okay, did the flush. It said that it successfully flushed the DNS cache. I exited, then went up to the address bar and typed in the word (No www) "mustang". It sent me directly to www.mustang.org
I started to get a little excited; but because it went to a "web address" and not the search page, I typed in another word. It sent me to 1dial search blah blah blah. So I went back to the cmd thing and did the flush again. This time after it said it was successful and I exited, I went up to the address bar and typed in that same second word. No luck. Still getting redirected. So now I will change the DNS numbers. I may need some guidance since the post gave directions for Windows 98. Here's what I think I need to do.
Control Panel
Internet connections
Right click on my ISP
click on "properties"
Click on the "networking" tab
In the bottom window under Internet Protocal, click "properties"
(Here's where I need your help)
There are two "radio" buttons on top and two "radio" buttons on the bottom. They are both checked right now at "obtain and IP address automatically" and "obtain and DNS server address automatically" (respectivly)
the number that I got from that web site "What Is My IP" is 216.8.34.128
Do I put the number in both, or just one?
There are two "radio" buttons on top and two "radio" buttons on the bottom. They are both checked right now at "obtain and IP address automatically" and "obtain and DNS server address automatically" (respectivly)
the number that I got from that web site "What Is My IP" is [removed]
Do I put the number in both, or just one?
All those numbers are different. The IP address you see is what your ISP has set for your computer.
The DNS address only your ISP would know that. So unless they want to give you those numbers, this won't work. Matter of fact if you changes these, you'll lose your internet connection
I get my internet from a local guy - dot communications.
Here is a copy of the e-mail that he returned to me after I asked him what the DNS numbers were. I am including a copy of his signature so you can see his info.
Do I need to e-mail back to him and see if he misunderstood what I need?
"At anytime, and from any computer, you can go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and see what your IP number is.
HTH,
-Doug Kozar
dot communications
(a DOT TECHNOLOGIES, LLC Company)
[removed] | [removed]
Windows/MSN Messenger: [removed] http://dotc.com
Provider of online technologies to commercial & residential customers since 1996
Do I need to e-mail back to him and see if he misunderstood what I need?
Yes, if you want to get the DNS numbers.
Try this and make sure you OK Google as your default search engine.
Click the link below and get Google Toolbar.
Google toolbar has a very good built in popup blocker with a nice search bar. To provide privacy, select disable advanced features when installing.
Is this the route YOU think we should go - I mean using the DNS number change? Or do you prefer trying to find where the change is? I would rather follow what you think since you have been working with me up till now. It seems as though SOMEHOW I should be able to get back to my original settings without losing everything I've installed since I got this thing.
Well my thinking is it's your internet search engine, something to do with your ISP
or software. Beings that you have 2 PC's that have the same issues at different locations. They have to have something in common. Have you tried the Google stuff I posted? It might tell use if it's the search engine.
I missed that part of your message. Well, guess what - I already have the google toolbar. I didn't know it, but I remember seeing it in one of the logs I posted for you. (from this machine, not the office one). After I read your last post, I went to View - toolbars- and Google was one of the ones on the list. So I checked it, did a search, and I got the regular google search, not the 1dialsearch junk. So that means you are right, it has to do with the search engine somehow. Since it was already installed (don't ask me how or when it got there), I couldn't do the "disable advanced features…" that you told me to do. Where is it, under Options?
On another note, here are the things that are common to both computers, to the best of my memory:
Microsoft Office 2000 (two different [original] install disc's)
Same Internet provider - different e-mail addresses
I have e-mailed back and forth some messages
In a few of the e-mails I sent attachments from the office computer to the home computer, consisting of Word doc's, Excel doc's, Publisher Doc's, and a file from the Home Design (light CAD) Program that is installed on both.
My digital camera software is on both
Two Photo software programs - same two, on both. One came with my camera, the other came with the photo paper I bought for the office.
I think that's it.
Well, actually, since you have both HJT logs, you probably know what is common.
What's next?
LDTate:
I did as you directed. When the install took place I got a message from the "Microsoft Antispyware" program. It was telling me that the URL for my Search was being changed and asked me to allow or not. I clicked allow. But I copied down the message for you because it said what is was changing from. Here is what it said: