This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

can't download HJT

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:rofl: I can't download HJT the new or old version, I know it's a severe nasty, it is my old PC being used by my granddaughter. I tried downloading mine that I copied to CD….. nope, I get "you have preformed an illegal operation. I have lavasoft's adaware, … nothing shows spyblaster to protect it etc I would like so much to be able to generate a log any ideas please? joal
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

I'll post 3 link to the newest version:

Links to Hijack This! v 1.99.1:

Hijack This! at tools.radiosplace.com

Hijack This! at spywarewarrior.com

Hijack This! at TomCoyote.org

Try this:

1. on one of the above links.

2. Choose "Save target as"

3. In the dialogue box that pops-up, change "hijackthis.exe" so something like "friday.exe". Then click "Save"

If that won't work, try renaming your old one to friday.exe before putting it on the CD.

Let me know how things progress.
:)
I hope it is ok to post log here
may a thousand blessing rain on your head it worked… thanks
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 4:17:23 PM, on 7/14/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\TOPSPEED\2.0\AOLTSMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\TOPSPEED\2.0\AOLTPSPD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLDIAL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOL SPYWARE PROTECTION\AOLSP SCHEDULER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUNBELT SOFTWARE\COUNTERSPY CLIENT\SUNASDTSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUNBELT SOFTWARE\COUNTERSPY CLIENT\SUNASSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\1120699755\EE\AOLHOSTMANAGER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\1120699755\EE\AOLSERVICEHOST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\DOWNLOAD\TODAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\SHELLMON.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\welcome.html
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DXM6Patch_981116] C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1120699755\EE\AOLHostManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SUNASDTSERV] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUNBELT SOFTWARE\COUNTERSPY CLIENT\SUNASDTSERV.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunasServ] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AOL TopSpeedMonitor] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\AOL.EXE" -b
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…64/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,13/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {9732FB42-C321-11D1-836F-00A0C993F125} (mhLabel Class) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/mhLbl.cab
Well.. Gee… :scratch:

Nothing bad in there.

Is that "good news" or "bad news"? :unsure:

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?"

Download/install IE-Spyad

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings at Qualsys.com

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.

Well, it's bad news, because using this method, I still cannot download new version of HJT… when I try from many sites, mc affe comes up to say it's a worm, this applies to many download sites. thanks tho joal
I have updated, and tired and removed trojan hunter, did house call, had one problem, but the page went blank…… any hope to get rid of this? joal

any hope to get rid of this?

Not quite sure what you want to "get rid of". The log has no malware in it.

Read the 1st article in News and Updates.

I can give you links to free online virus scans:

Trend-Micro Housecall

Panda Activescan

Etrust Security Advisor

Choose "fix" or "clean".

Let them remove any infections found. Reboot after each scan.

And links on how to configure Spybot and Adaware:

Configure Adaware

Configure Spybot

Reboot after running each program.

Unless one of these programs/scans actually finds something it can't remove, I'd say you're "good to go"

If they find something they can't remove, please post in here and I'll help you remove it.
:)
right, nothing shows on the old HJT, but it probably would on the new one , which I can't download. It is interesting, that even with mc afee disabled, the warning came up, that mc afee detected a worm. also that using the same CD with HJT, on this computer, the one I am using currently, but it does on my old PC. Thanks for responding joal
This topic is now closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link

(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI