This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

They got me! Drats....

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I got home from work tonight my computer was off even though it was on. Had to unplug it to get it back up.

While running defragmenter it stopped, requiring me to run scandisk first. Doing so shutdown the computer after a few minutes. I ran defrag in safe mode.

This is the HJT log following that-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:01:14 AM, on 7/20/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIS630_V1.04.54\UTILITY\3D\KHOOKER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\A - MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK_THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.metacrawler.com/index.html
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\Program Files\SiS630_V1.04.54\utility\3d\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: Refresh.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\REFRESH.EXE
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://forums.tomcoyote.org
O16 - DPF: {106E49CF-797A-11D2-81A2-00E02C015623} (AlternaTIFF ActiveX) - http://www.alternatiff.com/install/00/alttiff.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.lizardtech.com/software/express…tall/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
I first tried running Diskkeeper Lite in normal mode, it shut me down. I then ran it in safe mode, rebooted and it ran fine in normal mode.

Here's a fresh HJT log-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:44:18 PM, on 7/20/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE\DISKEEPERLITE\DKSERVICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIS630_V1.04.54\UTILITY\3D\KHOOKER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\A - MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK_THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.metacrawler.com/index.html
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\Program Files\SiS630_V1.04.54\utility\3d\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DkService] C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\DkService.exe
O4 - Startup: Refresh.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\REFRESH.EXE
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://forums.tomcoyote.org
O16 - DPF: {106E49CF-797A-11D2-81A2-00E02C015623} (AlternaTIFF ActiveX) - http://www.alternatiff.com/install/00/alttiff.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.lizardtech.com/software/express…tall/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…bin/AvSniff.cab
I tried running defrag, and for the first time it didn't require me to run scandisk first, but it shut me down anyhow. I then went into safe mode and ran both scandisk and defrag, rebooted and ran Diskkeeper, which worked fine, then tried defrag and it shut me down again.
raydun, I don't have any more ideas for you at this time. It looks like something is corrupt in your operating system. Can you trace these problems back to any particular event, like the installation of some new software or hardware?
The only thing new to my computer are windows updates. Other than those, I haven't added any software in two years, and no hardware in three.
I purchased a month's usage of MWAV yesterday, ran it and supposedly cleaned out all my viruses. This morning I found these lurking in my computer- instit Brasil natal! marco! speedy scrsvr
Is the MWav a real-time or on-demand scanner? If you are on the Internet without an antivirus and a firewall, then you will continue to run the risk of re-infection.
My MWAV is on-demand. I'm going to check out their escan but I need to work that download into my schedule. I'm currently working through MajorGeek's downloads to find something to help un-corrupt my system or files. Nothing new and/or harmful has been found on my system today.
I do have a question- If I open Windows Registry Checker/Restore Registry I'm offered five restore points, the earliest being 7/25/2005. I definitely don't want to restore within that time frame. If I open RESTREG (MSDos Batch File), it offers to restore my registry to 6/18/2005, with no other options. Do you think it advisable that I try the 6/18 option?
I reinstalled ME last night. Everything seems to be okay now. I've run scandisk and defrag in normal mode without shutting down. I then ran adaware again and it found eight alexa objects in the registry. Looks like I'm clean and I plan on keeping it that way. I'm going to have to find some other program to protect my computer, I never have liked norton and now they've failed twice. Had a minor virus four years ago that they couldn't help with. Any suggestions on a free AV program and firewall would be helpful. Thank you so very much for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI