This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

They got me! Drats....

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The problem started with a computer shutdown while using scandisk, defragmenter and finally, the last straw, when using my microscope. :angry:

After several weeks of extreme frustration I was able to get Norton Internet Security into my computer and it allegedly killed "blackbox1" and "verifierbug", but I still have major problems. I have since removed norton, and got back online last night. Luckily I visited this site before the final meltdown and knew to return.

Just for kicks I ran cwshredder last night and it killed a couple (?) of files.

Here is my log from Hijack_This, many thanks in advance-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:23:42 AM, on 7/8/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIS630_V1.04.54\UTILITY\SISTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\A - MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK_THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.metacrawler.com/index.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\Program Files\SiS630_V1.04.54\utility\3d\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIS630_V1.04.54\UTILITY\SISTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - Startup: Refresh.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\REFRESH.EXE
O16 - DPF: {106E49CF-797A-11D2-81A2-00E02C015623} (AlternaTIFF ActiveX) - http://www.alternatiff.com/install/00/alttiff.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.lizardtech.com/software/express…tall/isetup.cab
Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry for the delay in responding, but we have been pretty busy here lately. Can you please post a new log and I will be glad to review it.
Hello and many thanks for the response. Since my original post I've downloaded Spybot, the first time I ran it nothing was found. I then looked closely at the file QTTASK.EXE and noticed that the dates didn't jibe with anything else QuickTime related so I deleted it. I'm not allowed to uninstall QuickTime. I ran Spybot again and found an Alexa something, two cookies and a worm. I already have AdAware but running it shuts down my computer. I tried running scandisk again and the same happened. I tried downloading and running three virus scans as recommened in others postings, shutdown on all three. I've been allowed to download every Windows update except the one for Internet Explorer, just won't let me do it.

Downloading a webpage takes forever, there's a near constant stream of data being exchanged according to the twin monitor icon down in the corner.

Here's my new log-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:21:35 PM, on 7/14/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\PUTA!!.COM
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIS630_V1.04.54\UTILITY\3D\KHOOKER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\A - MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK_THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.metacrawler.com/index.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
F1 - win.ini: run=c:\windows\puta!!.com
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\Program Files\SiS630_V1.04.54\utility\3d\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PutAS!] C:\WINDOWS\Puta!!.com
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: Refresh.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\REFRESH.EXE
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://forums.tomcoyote.org
O16 - DPF: {106E49CF-797A-11D2-81A2-00E02C015623} (AlternaTIFF ActiveX) - http://www.alternatiff.com/install/00/alttiff.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.lizardtech.com/software/express…tall/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
Please run HijackThis and click "Scan." Place checks next to the following entries:
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
F1 - win.ini: run=c:\windows\puta!!.com
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PutAS!] C:\WINDOWS\Puta!!.com


Close all browser and other windows except for HijackThis, and click "Fix Checked" to have HijackThis fix the entries you checked.

Delete the following files if found:
C:\Windows\Puta!!.dat
C:\Windows\Calote!.dat
C:\Windows\Vacas!
C:\Windows\Vagabu!
C:\Windows\scrupd.exe
C:\putas!!

Reboot your computer and post a new HJT log, please.
I fixed the items listed then found and deleted-

C:\Windows\Vacas!
C:\Windows\Vagabu!
C:\Windows\putas!!

Here's the new log-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:23:04 AM, on 7/15/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIS630_V1.04.54\UTILITY\3D\KHOOKER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\A - MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACK_THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.metacrawler.com/index.html
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\Program Files\SiS630_V1.04.54\utility\3d\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: Refresh.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\REFRESH.EXE
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://forums.tomcoyote.org
O16 - DPF: {106E49CF-797A-11D2-81A2-00E02C015623} (AlternaTIFF ActiveX) - http://www.alternatiff.com/install/00/alttiff.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.lizardtech.com/software/express…tall/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
Please download a free trial of Trojan Hunter here and run a scan to clean up anything it finds. Reboot your computer. Then, can you try running Ad-aware again to see if it works now?
Apologies please for having to interupt the repair process last night, needed to get some sleep. I tried Trojan Hunter last night , it downloaded and installed with no problem, but I used it twice and each time my computer shut down. The first time it seemed to be almost finished before shutdown, the second time it shutdown real quick. At the time of shutdowns the program said that it hadn't found anything yet. Something I noticed- I sell minerals on eBay but it's been several weeks since I've visited there. Yesterday I searched eBay for some things to track their sales and despite having deleted all cookies it remembered my search terms, something it's never done before. This morning I have two emails from eBay, both of which look a lot like spoofs asking for info pertaining to my account.
Ok, you may have some corrupted system files. I haven't tried this in WinME before, so let's see if it works. Please go to Start -> Run -> cmd and press Enter. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow, making sure to put a space between the "c" and the slash, and then press Enter. This will run the System File Checker. Follow the prompts, and insert your Windows installation CD if requested. Then please restart your computer.
Hello again! I ran scandisk just before leaving for work and it shut the computer down before I got out the door. I started TrendMicro at about 11:25pm EST (it's now 1am). It was taking forever and ended up causing my computer to shut down. It took several trips through safe mode to get back up, and during the last stop in safe mode I ran Adaware, Spybot and Trojan Hunter, nothing was found. I'm going to try PandaSoftware next so you might not hear from me until tomorrow.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI