When I use Spybot's "Tools->System Startup" I get interesting descriptions for some of the items. It suggests that two are not needed and that three of them are added by various trojans.
I once again tried to run the "eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner". It quickly found five items in C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE, the same four that MicroWorld found and one more "opaserve". I stopped the scan to prevent a crash. The scan says that it "cannot cure" the files but does offer me the option of deleting them. Should I delete them?
Running "eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner" from start to finish hasn't worked. I have been able to run it one folder at a time with no more results than previously found.
I was able to run a normal adaware scan, found two more MRU's-
MRU LIST
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
obj[0]=MRU RegReference : .DEFAULT\software\microsoft\directinput\mostrecentapplication name
obj[1]=MRU RegReference : .DEFAULT\software\microsoft\directinput\mostrecentapplication id
I tried twice to run a normal WMAV scan but it shut down both times. Tried to get online and was shut down and sent off to safe mode. Ran WMAV in safe mode and came up with 1 invalid object and the following-
Object "AltNet Spyware/Adware" found in File System! Action Taken: No Action Taken.
Object "iSearch Spyware/Adware" found in File System! Action Taken: No Action Taken.
Following advice found on eTrust I disabled/enabled system restore, removing the the items that the previous MWAV scan found in _RSTORE\ARCHIVES.
I am checking with some site experts now to see what we can do next. The instability of the system is the major problem to diagnosing what's going on. Do you get any sort of error message when it shuts down?
Please click this link to download Silent Runners >>>>> http://www.silentrunners.org/Silent%20Runners.vbs
* Save it to the desktop.
* Run Silent Runner's by doubleclicking the "Silent Runners" icon on your desktop.
* You will see a text file appear on the desktop - it's not done yet, just let it run (it won't appear to be doing anything!)
* Once you receive the prompt "All Done!", double-click on the new text file on the desktop and copy that entire log and paste it here.
*NOTE* If you receive any warning message about scripts, please choose to allow the script to run.
"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 39, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"
———-
+ This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
+ To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.
+ The search for DESKTOP.INI DLL launch points on all local fixed drives
took 9 seconds.
+ The search for all Registry CLSIDs containing dormant Explorer Bars
took 13 seconds.
———- (total run time: 43 seconds)
Hmm, I don't see anything there. Let's try another specialized scanner. Please download StartDreck from here. Unzip it to the desktop and run it. Click Config, and choose "Unmark all". Then select only "Run Keys" under "Registry" and "Running Processes" under "System/Drivers" and click OK. Click Refresh, and Save to save a log. Then post the log here for me.
I just refreshed it twice, that's all it gives me.
Today I've found-
Podre!
Banda!
natal!!
marco!
instit
scrsvr
brasil
and three files in C\_RESTORE\TEMP-
A0006342
A0006343
A0006408
All files have a modified date of 01/01/1970
Ok, let's try cleaning some things to see if that will help your problem with defragmenting. Download: CCleaner (freeware) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows
Select the following: [external image: Posted Image]
Next: click Options click the Settings tab
Uncheck: "Only delete files older than 48 hrs.", click Ok
Then click Run Cleaner (bottom right) then Exit.
Reboot, then try running the Defragmenter again.
After that, please reboot your computer and post a new HJT log.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI