This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Stuck CD/DVD in Windows Explorer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

What an incredible resource! There must be decades of computer experience here! I have an unusual problem, when I insert a CD or DVD into either one of my 2 optical drives and view the files with Windows Explorer when I remove the disc Explorer still sees the CD as if it were still in the drive. If I insert another disc, Explorer claims it is still the original disc. Of course, if I try to open any files on the new disc, Explorer claims to be unable to read the disc. Doesn't always happen, doesn't seem to matter which drive, tried clicking Refresh with no effect. The only solution is to reboot and the problem might not appear for awhile or may happen immediately. Here's the header from a HJT log: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 5:20:09 PM, on 7/2/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) My optical drives are Sony DW-22A and JLMS XJ-HD1665 I have Auto Insert Notification turned off on both drives. I have had this Compaq EVO W4000 for 2 and 1/2 years with very few problems but this one has got me stumped! Tkank you very much for any help you could give me!
While I can't claim to know what is causing this, another work around aside from rebooting every time is to eject the CD/DVDs differently.

Try ejecting them by opening My Computer
Right clicking on your CD/DVD drive and selecting Eject from the menu that appears.

This should also refresh the drive properly if you have ejected it with the button and discover that the old CD/DVD is still appearing.

m
Maynard, Thanks for your prompt reply! Actually I had already tried that and some times it seems to work and but not always.I can't imagine it has anything to do with the problem,but it seems to occur most often with a game disc that I play frequently. (Starcraft ;) ). Is it possible to "burn in" the disc so Explorer won't refresh the disc info when it is ejected? (Man, that sounds like a dumb question!)Anyhow, it's just an irritant and doesn't seem to threaten any other system and I'm sure the answer will seem simple when I get it figured out.
No, I don't believe it is possible to burn in a disc like that. You must play starcraft a lot to be worried about that. :) I will keep looking around for a solution (one of our office computers does this a lot too). I'll post back if I find anything. By then though one of the more knowledgeable members will probably stop by and set us both straight ;) m
Maynard, :D Sounds like our problem Yes! I am sure I have too many CD/ and DVD burning programs but not CD Clone. I will search diligently thru them all and let you know what I find. Wow, this site is amazing! Thank you very much! (You don't want to know how much I play Starcraft-but I'm cutting back,honest!) sleepyvader

My optical drives are Sony DW-22A and JLMS XJ-HD1665
I have Auto Insert Notification turned off on both drives.


Sounds to me like enabling Auto insert notification will fix this problem.

I prefer shooter games myself. I got too burned out on strategy games years ago.

m

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI