This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Add/Remove Programs problems

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So the problem is this….I got to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and have the normal GUI. However, the list of programs is incomplete. It shows the first few programs, and then the rest is just screens and screens of blank space. I'm not sure if it is just a corrupted file or whatever, but I'd like to have access to it again. I posted my HJT log on the appropriate forum, but I've gotten no response. I'll probably post in the "No Response in 5 Days" thread in a couple days. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.
Welcome to TomCoyote.org! :wavey: My list in "Add/Remove Programs" also has some programs, then pages of "blanks", then more programs at the bottom. I've always thought that changes in windows causes this, but I am not sure. Since I've got my PC, I've updated XP to SP1, and recently to SP2. After updating to SP2, I noticed that the "blank pages" in "Add/Remove Programs" was different, so that more or less confirmed my suspicion… I peeked at your log file… Nothing major jumped out at me. If no one has replied to it, I will this evening (I'm at work now & don't have all my resources available here). But as for this topic, I wouldn't worry about the blank pages. My machine has them and it "runs like a top". :)
Thanks in advance for your help. It wouldn't be a problem, except it doesn't list all of the programs that are on my computer, so I can't uninstall some of my programs through Add/Remove Programs. That's the only real issue. Other than that, the wireless issue that I put in my other post is taken care of (updated driver). Thanks again
Hmmm….. :scratch: Some programs have an "uninstall" program somewhere in the folder they are installed in…. Have you looked there? Then there are some programs that just don't have an "uninstall". May I inquire as to specifically some of the programs you wish to remove?
I looked in the program folders for uninstall files, and some of them don't have them (which is why i kinda wanted Add/Remove Programs). But I'm trying to uninstall stuff like AutoCad 2002 and so forth (i just don't need it anymore). It's not any spyware stuff yet, but I'm afraid if somehow they get in that I'll have to do more work without Add/Remove Programs. And I'm sure you can guess how much I love to do more work :P . It's not a huge issue, but I figured that there's probably some hugely easy solution that I don't know about, so I figured I'd post it here.
Uninstall AutoCAD

Normally, if I want something off my machine, I look in "Add/Remove Programs" first. If it's not there (and I don't see an "uninstall" program inside the program folder), I just delete the program folders with Windows Explorer.

If the system is using a file in one of the folders, you have to figure out what file & how it's being used and how to get your system to "not use it" before total elimination can be achieved.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD OF REMOVING SOFTWARE FOR ANYONE BUT MYSELF!!!

(Just wanted to make that clear.)

But basically, it comes down to this:

If there is no "uninstall", and it's not in "Add/Remove Programs", what other options do you have? :scratch:

I'm sorry I have no "magic bullet" to offer…. :(
is there a way to fix Add/Remove Programs? and would giving you a screenshot make the problem clearer? Cause I don't think I'm explaining it very well…
You are NOT an idiot.

My "Add/Remove Programs" looks just like yours, blank pages and all.

If there is a way to "fix" that, I don't know it. I have never considered it to be "broken", but I could be wrong.

I just hope I have been some help. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI