This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Something's not quite right

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Things have been acting up. Does anything look fishy? Ran Ad-aware & Spybot…

Thanks,

-Dan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:03:24 AM, on 6/18/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
D:\1 HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Search_URL = http://www.searchv.com/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
N1 - Netscape 4: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.google.com"); (C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\do30\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: BrowserHelper Class - {EBCDDA60-2A68-11D3-8A43-0060083CFB9C} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NZDD.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe" -quiet
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Facemail - {E88D3D6B-BA62-11D4-A211-00B0D021F6DD} - C:\PROGRA~1\LIFEFX\LIFEFXTB.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: LifeFX Facemail - {E88D3D6B-BA62-11D4-A211-00B0D021F6DD} - C:\PROGRA~1\LIFEFX\LIFEFXTB.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: ICQ 4.1 - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: PDFtypewriter - {B5EE1724-E26C-4431-A8F3-96FC5FE55CA1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PDFTYPEWRITER\PDFtypewriterie.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .TIF: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npzzatif.dll
O12 - Plugin for .wrl: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\npCortona.dll
O16 - DPF: Dialpad Java Applet - http://www.dialpad.com/applet/src/vscp.cab
O16 - DPF: {85411480-DDF9-11D0-8F52-080009CDBAA9} (Starwave_Comparison_Chart) - http://stats.espn.go.com/java/OuterComparisonChart.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
Hello Dan, You are running from here: D:\1 HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE Please put HJT back on the C:\ like this C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe before you proceed. Thank you.

Follow these instructions:

1) Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Take the time to review the instructions on the download page so that when I ask you to run it you will know what you are doing.

2) To remove the CWS infection, download CWShredder from the following link. Update then click on FIX not scan. Allow the program to run and remove anything it locates. Let me know in the next post what it located.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popu…WShredder.shtml

3) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Search_URL = http://www.searchv.com/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: BrowserHelper Class - {EBCDDA60-2A68-11D3-8A43-0060083CFB9C} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NZDD.DLL
Above item is optional, I suggest you remove it. Info >>
http://castlecops.com/clsid-620.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

Run CCleaner then restart the computer and post a new log in this same thread along with any feedback you have. Let us know how you are running.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior

1) Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/  Take the time to review the instructions on the download page so that when I ask you to run it you will know what you are doing.


I read the FAQ and all the pages on the link, but I didn't really find any instructions. I just installed it and made sure I had the latest version. Was I supposed to do anything else?


3) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Search_URL = http://www.searchv.com/search.html


This one was not on the list. I removed all of the others.

CCleaner found and removed "CWS.Mupdate"

I didn't do anything in safe mode, but I did follow all of the instructions regarding closing windows, moving HJT to the C drive, running CCleaner, etc. Here's the new HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:20:31 PM, on 6/18/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

N1 - Netscape 4: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.google.com"); (C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\do30\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe" -quiet
O9 - Extra button: Facemail - {E88D3D6B-BA62-11D4-A211-00B0D021F6DD} - C:\PROGRA~1\LIFEFX\LIFEFXTB.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: LifeFX Facemail - {E88D3D6B-BA62-11D4-A211-00B0D021F6DD} - C:\PROGRA~1\LIFEFX\LIFEFXTB.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\AIM\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: ICQ 4.1 - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: PDFtypewriter - {B5EE1724-E26C-4431-A8F3-96FC5FE55CA1} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\PDFTYPEWRITER\PDFtypewriterie.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .TIF: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npzzatif.dll
O12 - Plugin for .wrl: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\npCortona.dll
O16 - DPF: Dialpad Java Applet - http://www.dialpad.com/applet/src/vscp.cab
O16 - DPF: {85411480-DDF9-11D0-8F52-080009CDBAA9} (Starwave_Comparison_Chart) - http://stats.espn.go.com/java/OuterComparisonChart.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab


How does that look? So far everything is running ok.

Thanks!

I read the FAQ and all the pages on the link, but I didn't really find any instructions. I just installed it and made sure I had the latest version. Was I supposed to do anything else?

Nope, most folks click on download and have no idea what they did, at least reading a little about the utility makes them somewhat aware. The default settings are fine unless you like to tune your tools. You should have scanned under all three tabs.

CCleaner found and removed "CWS.Mupdate"

???do you mean CWShredder? The R1 line was removed by CWShredder before you got to it, sometimes the R1 lines go with the uninstaller, sometimes we have to remove them manually. I cover all bases, thanks for the feedback.

Dan, you can use HJT to remove all of the 016 Downloaded Program Files if you are not using them. The HouseCall items would want to be new if you needed them for a scan, the others…your call. Your log is clean, Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

The above links will expose you to proactive freeware you may want to consider, it is getting tough to keep malware off our computers. I see no antivirus software running, here are two free ones:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
I suggest the first one, AVG. If you need a free firewall, here are two and I suggest ZoneAlarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp…reeDownload.jsp
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

You are running Spybot, do you have Ad-aware on board. Both programs recently released new version, this link will provide the new version and proper configuration for the programs.
http://tomcoyote.org/aawsb.php

Good luck and safe surfing

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.

CCleaner found and removed "CWS.Mupdate"

???do you mean CWShredder?


Yup, I meant CWShredder.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm looking through the rest of your links now.

Thanks again,

-Dan
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI