This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Spybot S&D v1.4 problem

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:rant2: I am not sure if I have posted this problem in the correct place. I am using Windows XP Home SP2 and I had installed Spybot S&D v1.4 RC2 the BETA. I just went to check for updates and got this error message: Error retrieving update file. Socket error #10061. Connection refused. I went to look for a mirror site to check and there were none listed. So I uninstalled the BETA and reinstalled Spybot S&D v1.4 from majorgeeks.com today. After install I checked for updates and it didn't work either. Does anyone know if their site is down? What can I do to get the updates for this program to work? Any help or suggestions?
Their site, and the ability to download updates, do appear to be down right now. I would just try again in a few hours. m
:D Thanks. After posting the problem about Spybot updates I did a little more research and found out that the site was down just like you said. I want to thank you for responding to my post. I don't need to be notified of an answer to this but I can't seem to find out how to change that.
To unsubscribe from any topic:
  • Click My Controls Near the top of the page.
  • In your Control Panel on the left under Subscriptions, click View Topics
  • Check th box to the right of every Topic you wish to unsubscribe from
  • Make sure the Drop down list at the bottom of the list says Unsubscribe
  • click the With selected button
:thumbup: Thanks for all that helped me with this. I know it wasn't a drastic problem but for me it was. Yes, I just ran spybot and it is now working again. I still have the BETA one installed so now I have to install the final version. I am not sure if I like the final version because it doesn't have spywareblaster included in the screen. :scratch:
:rant: Just ran into another problem with Spybot S&D. I have the BETA version on my computer (Spybot S&D 1.4RC2) and was going to uninstall it to get the full version that has just come out. I went to Add/Remove and clicked Spybot and got this error message:

<<< The uninstall log file  C:\Program Files\Spybot Search and Destroy\unins0000.dat" is in a format not recognized by this version of the installer.  Cannot uninstall.  >>>


What can I do now? I did go to start/programs/spybot/uninstall but I got the same error message. Do I need to do a system restore back to before I got this BETA version? If that is the case then I will have to update alot of other programs that I will loose doing this.

Any help or suggestions??? And I am using Windows XP Home SP2 IE6.0
:scratch: Hi. Thanks for your post. This is what I did. I had downloaded the Spybot BETA into a folder I made named Downloaded Files (this is where I put all my downloads so I can find them if ever needed). After not being able to uninstall spybot from ADD/REMOVE or from start/programs/spybot/uninstall, I just went to download.com, downloaded and installed the full version 1.4 and apparently it just overwrote the BETA one. When I went to save the program in my download file (I save not open) I deleted the BETA file for spybot that was there and saved the new spybot file v1.4 It downloaded, installed and updated with no problems. I now have the full version 1.4. The only thing is I have the BETA spybot folder in my recycle bin and it will not delete. Thanks for posting the official Spybot support forum. I did have that site bookmarked but never used it until now. I have just registered and am waiting for confirmation to post. I don't know if you need to be informed of my progress but I will let you know in case anyone else has this problem they can just read what I did. :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI