Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Spybot S&D v1.4 problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yjsk2100

yjsk2100

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

:rant2: I am not sure if I have posted this problem in the correct place. I am using Windows XP Home SP2 and I had installed Spybot S&D v1.4 RC2 the BETA. I just went to check for updates and got this error message: Error retrieving update file. Socket error #10061. Connection refused. I went to look for a mirror site to check and there were none listed. So I uninstalled the BETA and reinstalled Spybot S&D v1.4 from majorgeeks.com today. After install I checked for updates and it didn't work either. Does anyone know if their site is down? What can I do to get the updates for this program to work? Any help or suggestions?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 maynard

maynard

advanced

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

Their site, and the ability to download updates, do appear to be down right now. I would just try again in a few hours. m
Don't Panic

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

#3 yjsk2100

yjsk2100

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:17 PM

:D Thanks. After posting the problem about Spybot updates I did a little more research and found out that the site was down just like you said. I want to thank you for responding to my post. I don't need to be notified of an answer to this but I can't seem to find out how to change that.

#4 maynard

maynard

advanced

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:24 PM

To unsubscribe from any topic:
  • Click My Controls Near the top of the page.
  • In your Control Panel on the left under Subscriptions, click View Topics
  • Check th box to the right of every Topic you wish to unsubscribe from
  • Make sure the Drop down list at the bottom of the list says Unsubscribe
  • click the With selected button

Don't Panic

#5 yjsk2100

yjsk2100

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

Thanks. Now I will know how to do this the next time I post and don't need anymore notifications of a reply.

#6 Tlz

Tlz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:29 PM

The same thing has been happening to me.

#7 maynard

maynard

advanced

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:55 AM

It seems to be working again. m
Don't Panic

#8 yjsk2100

yjsk2100

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

:thumbup: Thanks for all that helped me with this. I know it wasn't a drastic problem but for me it was. Yes, I just ran spybot and it is now working again. I still have the BETA one installed so now I have to install the final version. I am not sure if I like the final version because it doesn't have spywareblaster included in the screen. :scratch:

#9 yjsk2100

yjsk2100

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

:rant: Just ran into another problem with Spybot S&D. I have the BETA version on my computer (Spybot S&D 1.4RC2) and was going to uninstall it to get the full version that has just come out. I went to Add/Remove and clicked Spybot and got this error message:

<<< The uninstall log file  C:\Program Files\Spybot Search and Destroy\unins0000.dat" is in a format not recognized by this version of the installer.  Cannot uninstall.  >>>

What can I do now? I did go to start/programs/spybot/uninstall but I got the same error message. Do I need to do a system restore back to before I got this BETA version? If that is the case then I will have to update alot of other programs that I will loose doing this.

Any help or suggestions??? And I am using Windows XP Home SP2 IE6.0

#10 maynard

maynard

advanced

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

Sorry,

I can't help you there. Someone else may post a response, I recommend going to :The official Spybot support forum. You are bound to find some help there.

m
Don't Panic

#11 yjsk2100

yjsk2100

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

:scratch: Hi. Thanks for your post. This is what I did. I had downloaded the Spybot BETA into a folder I made named Downloaded Files (this is where I put all my downloads so I can find them if ever needed). After not being able to uninstall spybot from ADD/REMOVE or from start/programs/spybot/uninstall, I just went to download.com, downloaded and installed the full version 1.4 and apparently it just overwrote the BETA one. When I went to save the program in my download file (I save not open) I deleted the BETA file for spybot that was there and saved the new spybot file v1.4 It downloaded, installed and updated with no problems. I now have the full version 1.4. The only thing is I have the BETA spybot folder in my recycle bin and it will not delete. Thanks for posting the official Spybot support forum. I did have that site bookmarked but never used it until now. I have just registered and am waiting for confirmation to post. I don't know if you need to be informed of my progress but I will let you know in case anyone else has this problem they can just read what I did. :wavey: