Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Modem connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bonefro

bonefro

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows xp home edition, using Intel®537EPV9x DFPI modem. When I dial up, I often get the messages "The phone line is in use" and "There was no dial tone." even though I know there was a dial tone. some times I can connect after one or a few redials. Some times I cannot connect after many redials. Sometimes those messages are followwed by "Your password is not recognized on the domain", "A device is not functioning" or "The server unexpectedly disconnected" I unchecked the "Wait for dial tone" option in the modem properties site. However I usually (not always) get those "no dial tone" responses. My question is: Should this happen after I have unchecked the "wait for dial tone" box? Thank you for your assistance. :(

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rand1038

rand1038

Take over your PC or someone else will.

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

After a set period of time the modem software will provide a notification if no dial tone is detected. You should recheck that box or you will most likely get errors even if everything is working right as it sometimes takes a fraction of a second to get a dial tone. Check the phone line going into the computer. Is it plugged in tight? Can you lightly pull on it and have it stay connected? Do the same at the phone jack connection on the wall. If it seems ok there, unplug the line from the computer and plug it into a phone. Listen to the dial tone on the phone as you lightly wiggle the wire where it goes into the jack on the wall. If the dial tone is not steady then there may be a problem with the wire or the jack. Try the same wiggle test with the end that is plugged into the phone. You can get a new piece of phone line, all set up, very cheap so try that and see if it helps. Also, cordless phones can cause interference that might disrupt the modem, even if they are not in use. Keep any cordless phones and bases as far away from the computer as you can.
Everyone gets specific instructions, disregard what you don't need.
I don't know your skill level.

"I would rather be bruised by the truth than caressed by lies."

The help you receive here is free.
If you can
please help keep us online by donating.

Posted Image