This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Is my laptop dead?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

would anyone be able to point me in the right direction with this? When I turn on my laptop it starts load XPbut gives a message that chkdsk needs to run. If I let it run it takes about an hour and just sits there defying me with nothing happening If I interrupt it XP sometimes loads but usually doesn't. When it does I get a message that I have a corrupt file "please run the check disk utility". If I ignore this the PC will run, sometimes slowly, sometimes well. If I try to run this utility it'll creak and groan, give me error messages, ask to send an error message to Microsoft and then lock up. Does this sound like a need a new hard drive (i'm not worried about losing data) or is there something else I should check. Many thanks
You can try this once Windows is up.

You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.
Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow Note the space.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)


Or try this:

to fix the problem without losing your most important data:——–

you may repair windows xp by reinstalling main files. the way to do this is using your xp cd and when the chocies appear hit enter to install windows. "DO NOT TYPE R TO GO TO LOAD THE RECOVERY CONSOLE" you will then accept the agreement and then it will ask you
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

windows will then erase and copy new files to the hard drive. the computer will later boot and when it asks you if you want to boot from the cd dont hit anything just let windows run and theN setup should keep working.
Thanks, it ddin't work though. I got a message saying my C drive is corrupt. I think I new hard drive may be in my future

to fix the problem without losing your most important data:——–

you may repair windows xp by reinstalling main files. the way to do this is using your xp cd and when the chocies appear hit enter to install windows. "DO NOT TYPE R TO GO TO LOAD THE RECOVERY CONSOLE" you will then accept the agreement and then it will ask you
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

windows will then erase and copy new files to the hard drive. the computer will later boot and when it asks you if you want to boot from the cd dont hit anything just let windows run and theN setup should keep working.



hey LDTate..

I am not sure if thats doable with XP Pro.. are you? I am not sure what makes the difference (Pro and Home utilities differ quite a bit in some areas.. like disk managment) but I have run across NOT having that option.. in other words it only asks once to repair. If you know lemme know… save me from having another VM. Either way though I would like to know though.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI