This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Chkdsk won't run at boot-up

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have been referred here by "Conspire" at the Virus section because he reckons there may be an issue with my HDD (corrupt file). I do not have the original installation disk. When I run sfc it takes only seconds and says that everything is fine, the chkdsk facility ask to me re-schedule for boot-up, but it never runs. I did run chkdisk in Safe Mode and it found errors in my HDD - but it mentioned it was only running in read-only. Is there anything I can do to help my laptop run smoother? Thank you,
Hi, Thanks for the response. I tried all 5 of the solutions - including chkdsk /f, /d, /r - tried sfc scannow, copy and replaced the autochk (sp) file in System32 and still chkdsk won't run. Everytime it's the same message that someone else is using it, the disk needs scanned … then the chkdsk is cancelled. Any other options? Thanks for listening. Gareth.

Any other options?

Lets hope so :lol:

The problem of chkdsk not running at bootup is usually caused when the autochk.exe file gets corrupted, or the registry BootExecute data value is incorrect.

The following steps three through to five will reset chkdsk BootExecute from a download and then tell you how to replace the autochk.exe File. Go here and scroll down to step three.

See how you go.

By the way, I notice you have Vista SP1. Have you installed SP2?
Since early last month, Microsoft no longer offers Vista SP1 support. without SP2 installed.

If you haven't installed SP2 yet, a separate SP2 download for Vista can be obtained from this page at Microsoft Download Center. Lets see if the above chkdsk fix works first before instalingl SP2 if it is needed.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Lee, I mentioned autochk in my previous post, in asmuch as I had already tried that - to no avail. I attempted to load SP2 anyway. After so long I received a message along the lines of download and run Check for System Update Readiness (CSUR) , tool to proceed. CSUR was downloaded and run. I attempted to load SP2 again. Again it asked for CSUR, but highlighted another path is this still didn't work. The other path highlighted error 0x800f081f, asked that I uninstalled my security and re-run the SP2 download. I removed Comodo from my system and tried again - still no go. I had previously run an IoBit scan and it had highlighted that there was a corrupt file in the temp folder of Comodo. Regardless of what I have tried I cannot delete this file or folder. Another thing is that even although I have removed Comodo (now replaced by Avast), after running IoBit again, it has again highlighted the corrupt file - so even although going through Add or Remove Programs, this Comodo file is still alive and kicking. Hope I haven't scared you away, and that I have other options. Take care. Gareth.

Hope I haven't scared you away

Gareth.

You are working seriously hard at it Gareth :smack:

You never try to uninstall some ant-virus software and especially Comodo, with Add and Remove programs. Comodo protects it's files and is practically impossible to remove when it is running. My own (early) removal experiences with this software put me off it for life as it can cause enough system damage to require a fresh OS install. If you haven't managed to reach that point yet since you last post …read on.

1. Try a system restore to see if you can get back to the point before everything you did in your last post. If that fails try step 2.

2. If you still have it, click on your original Comodo installer exe. (download it again if you have too). There should be a few options. Install, uninstall or repair. choose "repair'. When the repair is finished, reboot. Let me know if you are successful and we can get back on track.

I do admire personal initiative, but please refrain from any more it before further instructions from a tech :lol:

Cheers,
Lee
Hi, I have downloaded the Comodo exe file, but it apparently won't allow the "repair" option; it is greyed-out. Where does this leave us? Re, the "personal initiative" - I actually only followed instructions from a link provided by yourself, no real initiative there :) I have restored my system back to prior to the security uninstall. Thank you, Gareth.
After the restore, you should have Comodo back as it was. If not, install it and it will fix itself and sort out any original files or processes it left behind when you tried to uninstall it..

The 0X800F081F error code signals possible windows system files damage. Corrupted system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

Unless chkdsk /r has run properly from bootup, something important is not right that has to be fixed before moving on to SP2 installation.

You said earlier you replaced the autochk.exe file, did you also check that the registry BootExecute data value is correct? If it not, as per the instructions in the link, correct it and try to run chkdsk /r again. If that doesn't work there is something seriously wrong that needs to be fixed before moving on to SP2 installation, otherwise further problems are likely to be added.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit:
I should add that you should firstly back-up any personal data, serial numbers, user log in info. email and bookmarks to removable storage before proceeding with anything else.
Hi Lee, First things first - I was "writing on the fly" this morning i.e. I was posting my response while looking for a suitable restore point. The system wouldn't allow a "Restore", which kinda makes sense if it's not allowing a "chkdsk". Secondly, I did check the registry BootExecute value, and it was correct. So basically that's where we are - if you can help that would be great. I won't do anything you don't specifically advocate. Gareth.
I'm supplying instructions here based on confusing and contradictory posts.

Example from your post #7

I have restored my system back to prior to the security uninstall.

Your last post #9

The system wouldn't allow a "Restore"

We don't seem to be communicating very well Lee. Your last post commented on apparent inconsistencies in my previous posts. If you take a wee second and read my post more carefully, what I was trying to relate was, that when I mentioned "writing on the fly", I was posting that the system had been restored, but in actual fact I was only checking for a restore point, on the system, prior to the attempted Comodo uninstall. After posting and logging out of What the Tech, I then tried the actual System Restore. It was then that I was notified that the system could not carry out this instruction, which makes sense, as I also alluded to in my last post, considering it will still not perform a chkdsk operation. The time lapse between the 2 posts was because I was carrying out early in the morning, before leaving for work - when the system couldn't facilitate a System Restore, I had no time to investigate this. I carried out the investigation, and informed you, when I returned later on in the day. The english language isn't the easiest to interpret, in the written word. Please accept my apologies for the confusion. Are you still able to assist? Please advise. Gareth.

Your last post commented on apparent inconsistencies in my previous posts.
If you take a wee second and read my post more carefully, what I was trying to relate was, that when I mentioned "writing on the fly", I was posting that the system had been restored, but in actual fact I was only checking for a restore point, on the system, prior to the attempted Comodo uninstall.
After posting and logging out of What the Tech, I then tried the actual System Restore.

It was then that I was notified that the system could not carry out this instruction, which makes sense, as I also alluded to in my last post, considering it will still not perform a chkdsk operation.

The time lapse between the 2 posts was because I was carrying out early in the morning, before leaving for work - when the system couldn't facilitate a System Restore, I had no time to investigate this. I carried out the investigation, and informed you, when I returned later on in the day.


Yep, all that should have been completely obvious (to anyone) before my last help instructions.

* If you are Asking for Technical Help:
i think we need to take a breather here.. :D

I should add that you should firstly back-up any personal data, serial numbers, user log in info. email and bookmarks to removable storage before proceeding with anything else.

always a good idea to have all your data backed up before starting to fix a pc. :thumbup:

anyway lets clarify a few things so lee can continue with his expert advice. ;)

1:- have you still got avast installed? if so run it's uninstaller and remove it.
2:- have you downloaded and reinstalled comodo? doesn't matter if there was no repair option just install it anyway.
3:- after reinstalling comodo, now run it's own uninstaller to see if it removed the file your having trouble with?

don't forget both avast and comodo need to be stopped/not running in the back ground when you uninstall them.

if the file is still there then i expect lee will show you how to take ownership of and delete it, if the file is now gone, then you'll be able to work on any corrupt system files that may be stopping you running chkdsk and also installing sp2.

always work on 1 thing at a time until it's solved before moving onto the next thing. ;)
makes it a lot easier for the people trying to help you. :D

:popcorn:
Terry wrote -

always a good idea to have all your data backed up before starting to fix a pc.

1:- have you still got avast installed? if so run it's uninstaller and remove it.
2:- have you downloaded and reinstalled comodo? doesn't matter if there was no repair option just install it anyway.
3:- after reinstalling comodo, now run it's own uninstaller to see if it removed the file your having trouble with?


To remove Comodo completely after it is installed (or Avast)

Go to Start / Run / type in msconfig / startup tab / untick anything that says comodo / apply / Ok / restart / check misconfig / startup that anything comodo is still disabled.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller. Make sure you download the free version, not the paid for version.

Disconnect from the Internet.

Open RevoUninstaller (Interface is pretty straight forward).
1) Right click on the program you want to get rid of and select Uninstall. Click Yes when asked.
2) Select Advanced and click on Next.
3) Click OK if asked are you sure you want to remove it.
4) The normal uninstaller will run if there is one, click Next when it completes, otherwise Click Next.
5) Revo will then scan for leftover information in the Registry and on the hard drive, click Next.
6) If there are leftover registry entries, review them. Get rid all of the Bold entries only, Tick them and click the Delete button. When done, click Next.
7) Any left over files on the hard drive will be listed. Click on Select All then Delete to get rid of them. If any can not be deleted, you will have to reboot once Revo ends, then they will be deleted.

Click the Finish button.
This wouldn't appear to have been a very happy experience - apologies for any negative feelings from myself. Thank you Terry for your comments. Lee, I have uninstalled Avast and Comodo using their own Uninstallers (thank you for highlighting the correct methodology). After downloading and running Revo I was unable to find any entries for either of the above (Avast and Comodo). I have installed Comodo again though otherwise I would be running without security on the Internet.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI