This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I used reg seeker... totally messed up my puter!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I used Regseeker and now I cannot restore my computer!!! I have restored the files I deleted but to no avail. Now when my computer restarts it want load my user profile…

Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.
DETAIL - Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Will you please check my HJT log and see if there is something I can do here?


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:12:01 PM, on 5/22/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\INSTAN~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hasbro Interactive\Atari Arcade Hits 1\Atari icon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Donna Smith\Desktop\No-Spy\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.emachines.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "https://www.us.army.mil/suite/login/welcome.html"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Donna Smith\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\tg9py3bk.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Donna Smith\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\tg9py3bk.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InstantAccess] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\INSTAN~1.EXE /h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Atari Launcher] C:\Program Files\Hasbro Interactive\Atari Arcade Hits 1\Atari icon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeskMateAutoUpdate] C:\Program Files\DeskMates\DeskMateAutoUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Error Nuker] C:\Program Files\Error Nuker\bin\ErrorNuker.exe autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Y!TunnelPro] C:\Program Files\Digital Asphyxia\Y!TunnelPro V1.3 Build 272\YTunnelPro.exe
O4 - Startup: Watch.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CIS600X\WATCH.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
Yayasmurf,

You need to keep your posts in one forum only. I understand where your at but this is a problem you created with the Regseeker program. After looking over your log I find it pretty well clean of any offending programs that could be causing you this problem. I looked in the regseeker homepage and it gave a warning that they were not responsible for the outcome of using this program.

Why don't you try rebooting your system and taping the F8 key somewhat rapidly as you start to boot just like you would do when entering Safemode, instead, click on LAST KNOWN GOOD This will restore the registry entry when it booted up last with a good entry. I can't guanatee this will work but its worth a try. You can also try restoring your system with SYSTEM RESTORE. GO TO START/ CONTROL PANEL/ PERFORMANE AND MAINTENANCE/ SYSTEM RESTORE. try going back to a time before you used regseeker.

The only thing I see bad in your log is this program DeskMateAutoUpdate it is totally your call to uninstall it. It is known to be bundled with Bargain Buddy which is known spyware.

You can go to your add remove programs in the control panel to remove it if you choose.

DO THIS FIRST
Your HIJACKTHIS program is current, but it is very important that it resides in its own folder.
We will use Hijackthis (HJT) to make changes to your system and HJT will make backups of those changes,
If HJT is not in its own folder, those backups could be lost.

Easy to fix,
* just go to MY COMPUTER > YOUR C:\ DRIVE and create a new folder and name it HIJACKTHIS .
* Now scroll to where you have HJT currently, right click on the HJT icon and select CUT .
* Now open the new folder you just created and right click within that folder and select PASTE .
* Now HJT should reside in C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

Now is you decide to uninstall DeskMates follow the rest of the instructions.

Then run Hijackthis SCAN ONLY and remove this line, but before you do, you need to open SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY / ADVANCED MODE/ TOOLS/ RESIDENT/ and disable Tea-Timer, this will prevent HJT from making any changes. You can reenable it when your done.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeskMateAutoUpdate] C:\Program Files\DeskMates\DeskMateAutoUpdate.exe

Enable windows to show all files and folders and reboot into safemode

SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

* Click on MY COMPUTER
* Then on your C: Drive
* Then to TOOLS/ FOLDER OPTIONS/ VIEW
* Choose the radio button to SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS
* Take the checkmark out of HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES
* Then APPLY/ OK

* Don't forget to reverse this once your computer is clean


To Enter SAFEMODE

* Go to START/ SHUT OF YOUR COMPUTER/ RESTART
* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly, this will bring up a menu.
* Use the UP AND DOWN ARROW KEYS to scroll up to SAFEMODE
* Then press the ENTER KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD


Now look for and delete this folder.

C:\Program Files\DeskMates<– This entire folder

Reboot normally, and what I would suggest is to follow your post in the in the computer help forum.
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=38052

Here are a couple of excellent tech support forums that you can try, you have to sign up but like tom coyote, there free.

http://hwg.mazin.net/hardwareguys/hwgboard/ikonboard.cgi
http://www.windowsbbs.com/

When you get that issue resolved, you need to install SP2, through the windows update program.

Good luck,

Ken
I agree there is nothing in the log to cause the problem described by the user. There is an "R" entry in the log that many folks delete, but it is not a cause of hte problem. The two approaches you suggested for recovery attempts are sound…and presented in the right order. Let's hope your user actually has been setting restore points :) daveai
Thanks for all your suggestions… you are right … I did use Regseeker at my own risk, but it has a backup system. Well it is suppose to have one… it doesn't work!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get your post until after I had used all the brain power I have to get this thing fixed. :blink: I did have my restore system on and I had many restore points but what ever the regseeker removed prevented the restore system from working. So that was not even an option for a nice fast fix.

I did however decide to create another user profile and transfered my documents to that user… I lost my emails and my address book.

I have since read the other post and will try to retrieve them using the advice from the link Trevuren posted. There are a few suggestions for retrievel.

Thanks again to all of you for all your help. :D
Yaya
Yayasmurf,


Make sure that you moved HJT to its own folder like I suggested and then run the program SCAN ONLY and fix these entries…..

Put a checkmark in these, close all open windows and browsers and click on FIX CHECKED.

* R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com


These two are your call, they won't stop you from using Office, it will just stop it from loading on startup and save you some precious resourses.

* O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE

* O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
:wavey: Ken545,

I have completed the instructions in your last post… I also retrieved my address book…yeah!!! I am now working on my lost emails.

Oh yeah… I wanted to tell you by the time I posted on this forum I had already completed most of the things you ask me to do in your first post… I thought that was pretty good… I have learned a lot from reading in Coyote Forum and was really proud I had put the knowledge to good use.

My Hijackthis was already in its on folder… I'm not sure why it may have shown that it wasn't … as you can see from this HJT log it is now double foldered. ;)

Thanks for the help.
PS… I should have ask for help in tweaking my computer here before trying it on my own. Got any advice to help me speed this thing up? :D

:ph34r: Yaya


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:46:00 PM, on 5/23/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\INSTAN~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Asphyxia\Y!TunnelPro V1.3 Build 272\YTunnelPro.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HiJackThis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
N2 - Netscape 6: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "https://www.us.army.mil/suite/login/welcome.html"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Yaya\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\r0e6wbbl.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InstantAccess] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\INSTAN~1.EXE /h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Error Nuker] C:\Program Files\Error Nuker\bin\ErrorNuker.exe autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Y!TunnelPro] C:\Program Files\Digital Asphyxia\Y!TunnelPro V1.3 Build 272\YTunnelPro.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
Yayasmurf

Go here and get the CCleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Don't worry, this one is safe :D
It will clean out all your temp files and internet tempory files and such. You can go to the options tab, look under cookies and you can move the ones you want to keep to the right pane and they won't be deleted.




Also go to START/CONTROL PANEL/ PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE/ REARRAINGE ITEMS ON MY HARD DISK…..

This is your disk defragmenter, run it, it may take awhile the first time, after that you should run in a couple of times a month and it won't take so long.

I have a whole list of free programs to install to keep the bad guys out, but you will have to wait until later on this evening for me to be able to send them to you.
Hi Ken545,

It's Yaya again! I have downloaded the CCCleaner… I ran it… but have not delete any files yet… I am scarred… If this messes up my puter I am going to hunt you down and beat you with a wet noodle! :P

There are probably over a thousand files listed to be deleted just on Windows alone. How about the Applications and Issues Tabs…. are they safe to run and delete? :unsure:

Well I think I will wait for your next post to give me that little bit of courage I need before I hit the delete button B)

Waiting for courage!
Yaya

PS… I'm gonna wait to defrag until after I delete files with CCCLEANER
Yayasmurf,

I have installed and run CCleaner on about 3 dozen machines and never had a problem, just keep in mind that it is not looking for system files that you don't need, it just deletes all the temporary crapola that you build up every day. Remember that it will also delete cookies, so go to OPTIONS> COOKIES and move any cookies that you don't want to lose to the right pane.

Go ahead…..sit down > take a deep breath > close your eyes > and run the cleaner. :D

Remember also that once you are straightened out that you need to download and install SP2. You can do that through Windows Update.

Here is a list of things to do, if you have read other posts you may have done some of them already, so just weed through and use the ones that you need. It will be a lot easier than me typing out a new list :lol:

Now that your clean, we need to erase all possible older infected files that may still be lurking on your system.
clean out your TEMP FILES

* This procedure should be run from SAFEMODE for better results.

To Enter SAFEMODE

* Go to START/ SHUT OF YOUR COMPUTER/ RESTART
* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly, this will bring up a menu.
* Use the UP AND DOWN ARROW KEYS to scroll up to SAFEMODE
* Then press the ENTER KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD


Now, while in SAFEMODE,

* click on START/ RUN , and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This will open up the temp directory that your machine uses. GO TO EDIT/ SELECT ALL and delete all the contents of that folder.
* Do this for each user of your computer.
* Do this same process for %windir%\temp.

NOW RE-BOOT NORMALLY

DELETE TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

* Open INTERNET EXPLORER
* Click on the TOOLS MENU
* Then INTERNET OPTIONS
* At the GENERAL TAB, (which should be the first tab you are currently on),
* click on the DELETE FILES BUTTON and put a checkmark in DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT.
* Then press the OK BUTTON . This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes.
* When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.


Now we need to TURN OFF and then TURN BACK ON SYSTEM RESTORE.

This will remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent
any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points
which are likely to be infected)



Turn off System Restore.

* On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
* Click Properties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* Check Turn off System Restore.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.



Reboot your System


Turn ON System Restore.

* On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
* Click Properties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

* Now while in System Restore, create a new Restore Point.

* Make sure that your ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE is up to date and run a full scan at least once aweek.
* If you want to use a free program, try this one –> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

* Run SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY/ CHECK FOR UPDATES/ IMMUNIZE and run a full system scan on a regular basis.

* Run AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL/ CHECK FOR UPDATES and run a FULL SYSTEM SCAN on a regular basis.

* Download and run SPYWARE BLASTER,
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
* Check for updates and enable all protection. This program will just sit in the background and help keep all the bad guys out.


* Download and install WINPATROL
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html
* This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.


* IE-SPYAD is a one time install, it will put 1000s of bad sites in your IE Restricted Zone.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_down…23332&fileidx;=1



* WINDOWS UPDATES - Enable Automatic Updates
Right click on MY COMPUTER/ GO TO PROPERTIES/ AUTOMATIC UPDATES and put a mark in the radio button
DOWNLOAD UPDATES FOR ME BUT LET ME CHOOSE WHEN TO INSTALL THEM.


* Consider surfing the net with the FireFox Browser You can download via my signature.It has more features and is a lot
more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
When it asks you if you want it to be your default browser, say NO and take the checkmark out of the box to ask you again. After you
use this for awhile, you will want to make it your default.


* There companion THUNDERBIRD MAIL program was highly favored in PCWorld Magazine,, this to has a good spam filter
and is more secure than Outlook Express.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

* Run CCleaner, this is a very safe program that will clean out all the crapola on y0ur system. It will also remove cookies,
so go to OPTIONS/ COOKIES and move the ones you want to keep to the right pane.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

* Now go to START/ CONTROL PANEL/ PERFROMANCE AND MAINTENANCE/ REARRANGE ITEMS ON YOUR HARD DISK TO MAKE PROGRAMS RUN FASTER
This is the Windows Disk Defragger, run this maybe once or twice a month to keep your system running good. The first time you run it, it may take awhile.
Ken545, I will stop bugging you shortly… I ran the scan and deleted 36.8mb of "C" off of Windows. I also cleaned Applications. I didn't passout or anything :P Now for the really scarry part…. what about Issues? What does that do? I ran the scan but did not let if fix selected Issues. There were alot of them!!! All of these were things that came up when I ran scan in Issues. Here are some of the titles they held: Obsolete Software Keys, Missing Startup Software, Old Start Up Menu Keys, Missing Shortcut References, Missing Shared DLL's, Unused File Extensions, Invalid Defualt Icon's, Open with Application Issue's, Active X/Com Issue's, Applications Path Issue's. These are the type of things that Regseeker erased and that's what messed me up in the beginning… Please Advise :unsure: Thanks Yaya
Yayasmurf,

In regards to Issues, CCleaner won't repair anything, it just gets rid of useless stuff.

You might want to try this…..

You can use windows sfc (system file checker) You'd need your XP CD to make this work.

* Insert your windows CD
* Click Start> Run> type sfc /scannow

(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

It will find missing windows files and prompt you to reinstall them.

Outside of that, you would be better off using one of the windows tech support forums that I mentioned earlier. I am more tuned to removing malware and such but those other forums are more tuned to windows problems. I'm very sure that you will find someone in one of those forums that can help straighten your system out.

So good luck yaya, I hope you find the answer to your problems.

Ken
Two weeks with no activity, this topic will be closed.

This topic is closed, if you need it reopened please contact us by clicking here.
Include a valid, working link to this topic in your email request. You must also put "reopen" in the subject line.
If any of this is missing or you are not the topic starter, the mail will be deleted.
:wavey:
Thank You

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI