This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Couple tricks / shortcuts I use

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Here's a liitle trick I got from Little Eagle:

Did you know with Google Toolbar when you're searching a HJT log, the item shows on the toolbar? Lets say you did a Google search for C:\WINDOWS\Bolger.dll and there's a log listed at CC. Once you open the log, C:\WINDOWS\Bolger.dll will show on the toolbar. Just click on the Bolger.dll on the toolbar and it's highlited in the log. Everytime you click on it, it'll keep going through the log until it finds the last one.



How about a windows shortcut? Right Click on the Start Button and select Explore.


How about posting some of your Shortcuts / Tricks?
Yep. I use that too (kinda) Maxthon highlights it automatically, so I dont have to worry. And it highlights each search word with a different color :D wng
I use these tricks Well, let's say you've gone through a log, and had a victim post a new HJT log. You can easily and quickly compare the differences between the files by using a command. Here's what you have to do: 1. save the old log as a txt document (prefrerably just in c:\ so less typing) 2. Save the new log as a txt document 3. go to start -> run type in: cmd 4. Then type this: fc c:\old.txt c:\new.txt >>c:\results.txt This will create a new .txt document in the c:\ folder. Double click it to view differences. NOTE: This is NOT an excuse for checking a log. Mostly I just use this to compare a log with a previous one to see if anything NEW has popped up. You should STILL go over the log. Also, I use a tabbed browser (maxthon) You should use firefox, maxthon, or some other tabbed browser. It makes things go alot smoothly. Also, I have some whois plugins for my browser, so with 1 click, I know all I need to about an IP. Finally, I recommend saving the fix while you are working on it (especially if it is a long one.) I periodically copy and paste the fix into notepad. I have lost a few fixes before because of various different things… wng
Here's one I use to checkout url's in the 'R' entries of HJT.

I use Firefox (for the tabbed browsing), but have added the 'ieview' extension that allows me to "View page in Internet Explorer" via right-click.

Then, among my various protections, my IE is protected with Ie-Spyad, which loads up the restricted zone with known bad domains, and ensures any pages loaded from them are 'neutered'.

If a url i'm testing show up as 'Restricted' down inthe lower right, the "R" entry is fixed.



Saving fixes, user logs, canned speeches, etc. can be overwhelming without some sort of organizational scheme and/or tool.

Here's a previous thread from January discussing this:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…133&hl=clipmate


daveai
My favourite tips are the keyboard shortcuts. Use tab to go between fields when filling forms out on the Internet, and when inputting passwords at the Win2K login screen. you can also hit enter at the end of the screen instead of clicking Ok.
I love my keyboard shortcuts too here's a short list: - Alt + Tab: switch between open programs Tab: switch fields Shift + Tab: switch feilds in reverse order Alt + f4: kill current program, my new keyboard has f-lock so this one sometimes doesn't work Ctrl + X: Cut Ctrl + C: copy Ctrl + V: Paste They're the ones I use the most anyways
I also use the following keyboard shortcuts as well. Window key + E - Open Windows Explorer Alt + W - Close Internet Explorer Windows Control + Tab - to cycle through windows in Crazy Browser. Window key + M - Minimise all Windows.
Here is one that has saved me hours of work over the last couple of years. Since I changed over to Firefox, I not only discovered "Tabbed Browsing" but another feature that I just love: "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder"

The toolbar that I have created for myself contains not only the malware fighting sites that I visit most frequently but also links to the changelogs to all the major infections that I encounter in HJT logs.

That Toolbar presently contains "abbreviated links" to the following:

BC, CC, Geeks, Email, MWR, PCP, SWI, TC, TCG, Dictionary, Google, CWS, All Net, AShorty, EDGAcc, S!Ri, ComboFix (Reg entries), CF(Files), Grinler's Uninstallable List, SDFIx , etc…..

The possibilities are nearly limitless.