Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

What Is I-worm/dumaru.y?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:25 PM

Hi all - I have just gotten a warning that AVG detected a virus in a message. The dialog box says what was found in the attachment was I-Worm/DUMARU.Y virus. The OE Rules had sent it to the Delete folder, and when I opened the Delete folder I got the warning message immediately. The warning dialog box says; Hidden extension.exe, etc.; "Infected file will be removed to the Virus Vault (what/where ever that is). The infected attachment will be overwritten with information about AVG intervention." :blink: I have not seen this one before. Is this an old or new one? Is it one also making the rounds now to watch for? :unsure: Thank you, Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:13 PM

Yes, that is AVG's name for it. All the A/V vendors seem to give things a different name, just to confuse us! If it's in the virus vault (which is a hidden folder) then it's safely out of the way. If you want to certain, then unhide the folder, and delete it. AVG will make a new one on the next reboot. If you do delete it, pressing <shift><delete> will bypass the recycle bin, so it is completely removed.
I didn't believe in reincarnation last time either!

#3 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:26 PM

Hi Dave, I see. And, you're right, it does tend confuse, from one to another with the various names. ;-) Yes, I would like to delete them totally out of the system. Just sending it to the recycle bin is sorta like having a dead rattlesnake in my kitchen trash can. I *really* don't want to take the chance of it re-incarnating itself in *my* kitchen. :oops: I have the folders unhidden, as I have been looking for this 'vault' in the Grisoft folder (for AVG), but, I can't find it. I can't find any other folder that seems to reference a relationship with AVG, so I'm sorta lost. With AVG6 Free Edition no help from Grisoft, of course. I have no idea what the name of the 'vault' might be. I am assuming it is merely a layman's term and perhaps not the actual file name. :scratch: Thank you very much for your time and help. I really appreciate it. Tink :wavey:
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

#4 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 02:05 PM

Hmmmm...... Funny that. I can't remember what it is either, and without a virus to put in it, I don't have one! I think it's in the root folder of the drive, and the name begins with $. If you do find it. post back so I shall know next time!

#5 Freebird

Freebird

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I would like to delete them totally out of the system

Tink......Hi

The AVG Virus Vault is a special directory that stores infected files. The name of the files are changed and their content is encrypted so they cannot be used and virus infection cannot spread. It is almost the same as ordinary deleting techniques; however, the AVG Virus Vault gives you the ability to restore the files, if necessary.

Open AVG, click on 'Program-->AVG Virus Vault. Highligt the file(s) you want to delete and press 'Delete'.....Bingo, all nasties gone for good. :D

:wavey:

#6 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 02:32 PM

Thanks FReebird. I had forgotten that! So rarely used.

#7 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:49 AM

Hi Firebird and Dave! :D Thank you for the information. I have found the $Vault$ and done a clean sweep. No more viri..virii...virium...ahmmm...yeah...those. I don't know about those sort of things, so I don't like having them hanging around. Now they're all gone. :huh: I keep getting the same DUMARU.Y virus from the same name, Elena. Wish someone would clean their machine. I've had 3 today alone. :-( This is the first time I have ever had a virus situation. Luckily, my AV is grabbing them right off and neutralizing them. :thumbup: Thank you both again for all your time and help, I truly appreciate it. Tink :wavey:

#8 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:52 AM

Sorry Freebird.....my eyes obviously beat me to bed. -_- Tink :wavey: