Hello all.
Something I have not seen concerns updating W2K and even W98.
Are these still supported by Microsoft and are updates available for those OS ?
I had a user re-open a closed topic to say she can't update 2K and is waiting for a reply.
Hard to say with the error description she is giving. A better explanation of the error(error code included) would help a lot.
Might have her make sure all the appropriate services are running. Auto Updates, BITS, Event logging, etc.
Hi 'KotaGuy
I saw you over at the link given as I was posting a reply to her.
That being a 2k machine I'm out of my depth and I'm not sure she could find those settings by herself.
As you know, I did provide her with a MS updates link. I'm fairly sure she can get help with those updates at MS. I'm also sure she will post back, whatever the outcome.
To access the services in Win2K have her go to Start>Run, type in services.msc.
This will open up the Services console. From there she can look for Automatic Updates, BITS, and Event Logging. For Windows updates to work, these services should have Started in the Status column and Automatic in the Startup Type column.
If she needs to change them, right click on the appropriate service, choose Properties. Change the Startup Type to Automatic in the dropdown menu. And press the Start button if it says Service status: Stopped underneath that.
If it doesn't, have her write down the exact error message she is getting along with the error code. The code will be in hex format(eg: 0x8ddd0010).
That will help to troubleshoot this.
Thanks KotaGuy.
Looks like everything worked out for her and all is right with the world.
By the way, my email has been on the fritz for a few days and I haven't been getting any mail. Your PM was a wake up call.
Thanks again.