This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Cwshredder - False Trojan Detection

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi all - WinME I just downloaded the most recent update posted for today. After the update I clicked on my Desktop shortcut Icon to run it, and a message box immediately appeared that said a Trojan (can't remember name) had been detected and that I should run the program (which I was intending to do). I closed the box and ran the program from the Explorer. When it stopped, it said that all files were clean and nothing had been detected. ?? I was just wondering why it might have thought it detected a Trojan when obviously none existed. I also ran the Stinger, SpyBot, Adaware and F-Prot, all just updated, just to be sure nothing else was aboard that might cause a false detection notice from the CWShredder. This is rather confusing. I would truly appreciate it if someone could explain why this might have happened. Is this something that happens very often with this program? Best regards, Tink :wavey:
Hi MrCharlie - :) No, I do not have that installed. I use the AVG6 Free version as my AV, but, I also have F-Prot that I run as a backup sometimes. It happened when I first tried to open the CWShredder after I downloaded the latest update yesterday and started to run it. I was just wondering if this is something that is a known thing with the CWShredder. I have since learned that there have been reports of a few others that have had the same or similar problems on a spyware forum (not sure which). No one seems to be able to find out what causes it. That is why I thought perhaps it was a glitch in the program. Not really a fun thing to happen to anyone. Especially, when it gives no name, or anything else to go by, just you have a Trojan, and the fact that the new junk is making the rounds. :blink: Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I really appreciate it very much. Tink :wavey:
Hi CNM - :) I have downloaded the latest update and tried it. I did not get the warning message this time. I opened it from both the Deskstop shortcut and .exe from the Explorer. It must have been something in the other download that caused the warning to fire, at least on my end. This one works fine again. :weee: Thank you very much for the update information. I truly appreciate your time and help. Tink :wavey: