This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Do I Need The Protection Of A Router

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I lived with roomates we had a router to share the internet. When I moved out on my own I sold the router to one of the roomates. I now hear that it's good to have a router between your computer and the internet. My question is do I need it for protection? I have the full McAfee protection package (virusscan, spamkiller etc.) and I also have the windows firewall running. So is the router just overkill or should I get another one to further protect? Also I see routers that have firewall protection, and others that "act" like firewalls (i.e. linksys' befsx41, befsr41 ) what's the difference between these? Thanks
hi dank_64, a hardware NAT router and a software firewall is a good idea. i wouldnt consider it overkill. look for a NAT router that has SPI. it may also prove useful if you decide to add other computers to the same ip address.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI