Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Do I Need The Protection Of A Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dank_64

dank_64

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

When I lived with roomates we had a router to share the internet. When I moved out on my own I sold the router to one of the roomates. I now hear that it's good to have a router between your computer and the internet. My question is do I need it for protection? I have the full McAfee protection package (virusscan, spamkiller etc.) and I also have the windows firewall running. So is the router just overkill or should I get another one to further protect? Also I see routers that have firewall protection, and others that "act" like firewalls (i.e. linksys' befsx41, befsr41 ) what's the difference between these? Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:47 PM

hi dank_64, a hardware NAT router and a software firewall is a good idea. i wouldnt consider it overkill. look for a NAT router that has SPI. it may also prove useful if you decide to add other computers to the same ip address.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 arcking

arcking

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

It is a good idea to have both a software and hardware (router) firewall!