This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Outlook Express

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a network (2 computers). Mine is the first one in line. Is this going to affect the other computer's e-mail? That one is currently working fine. We are on a DSL line.
In reading through the info on Microsoft's site about Outlook Express they mention a portion of my problem. They claim if when you open an e-mail that says "sender unspecified" it is caused by Norton. Would you have any insight into this? I do have Norton Systemworks installed but it will probably take a year or so to get a response from them.
Hi Guyl

Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions so I can get an idea of your setup. :D

Are you receiving any error messages when polling for your messages?
If so, please post the exact error message.

Is the Inbox empty?
If not, make new folders of your own creation in Outlook Express, move messages you want to keep to those folders.
Keep the Inbox empty, Outlook Express will start faster.

Is Norton configured to scan incoming emails?

If so, try disabling the email scanning.
This link gives the steps for that:
Turning on or turning off email scanning in Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003/2004

Let us know what you find.
Hi EA, Below is the message I usually get when I hit send/receive, after about 5 - 10 minutes of waiting. Like I said in an earlier post if I hit send/receive and it shows 10 e-mails coming in, the first eventually would be received and then the following message would show up. You "X" it out hit send/receive and it says receiving 1 of nine messages now. 5 minutes later it would receive the e-mail and you'd get the message again. Repeat the process 8 more times over the next 40 minutes or so. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '1guyl_verizon_mail', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F I just set up my inbox like you asked and deleted the scanning of both incoming and out outgoing e-mails in Norton. Guess what. It all seems to work now. WHY??? I've had Norton on here for years with no problems and now all of a sudden this. Am I still protected with e-mails? I also have System Suite 5 (if you're not familiar with that it's a product similiar to Norton SystemWorks) which may have an e-mail scanner in it. I'll have to check on that. I guess I could experiment and see if I just scan incoming e-mails with Norton to see if that is a problem. Any thoughts on this? LD, thanks so much for all of your time and advice on this issue. It is very much appreciated and I learned some stuff as we went through this. Hopefully, if this issue is close to solved here, maybe you did also. I guess

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI