This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Can't Change Ie Start Page....

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:07:53 PM, on 3/25/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\ggviewer67-89.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color\NaturalColorLoad.exe
C:\Program Files\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe
C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Robomagic\SocketWatch\swatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe
C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\HiJack This\hijackthis-1\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: TrustWatch Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-88A9-EB6DA381A928} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\TRUSTW~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: TrustWatch Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-88A9-EB6DA381A928} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\TRUSTW~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0003\DriverFiles\CARPSERV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TClockEx] C:\Program Files\TClockEx\TCLOCKEX.EXE
O4 - Startup: ATnotes.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Silent Clean.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\mrublaster.exe
O4 - Startup: SocketWatch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Robomagic\SocketWatch\swatch.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microtek Scanner Finder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NaturalColorLoad.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://fdl.msn.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://moneycentral.msn.com
O16 - DPF: {01FE8D0A-51AD-459B-B62B-85E135128B32} (DD_v4.DDv4) - http://www.drivershq.com/DD_v4.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/s…118/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {A97608DD-6999-11D5-9C8C-0010A4F2D6BF} (QCOMCont Class) - http://www.quicken.com/qw2001/qcominst.cab
O16 - DPF: {ADFEE671-5D06-48A7-AF43-A598D3A58AF6} (DemoForge Player Control) - http://www.demoforge.com/dst/dfplay.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {E56347B0-6C2B-4C2E-939F-EE513EAC80BC} (Creative Product Registration ActiveX Control Module) - http://www.creative.com/register/OCXs/CtORWebClientNoMFC.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB289CB4-C028-4883-92D4-E430BC7D45A7} (Sm3LicenseCheck Library) - http://www.iolo.com/sm/ocx/Sm3LicenseCheck.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/s…12118/CTPID.cab
I overlooked including some detailed info about what is happening: When I open IE, it indicates the address of the start page is http://www.comcast.net, and I hear a rapind clicking sound (as if, perhaps, something is trying to get it to http://www.google.com. I can't (it won't let me) type in a different URL, but when I go to any bookmark and click on it, it opens at the bookmarked page as it should. (The clicking has also stopped–for that session of IE.) I have used Tools. Internet Options to change the start page, but when I open IE, everything is just as it was before. I have changed it to Google in IE Tools, Internet Options, closed IE and rebooted–and am right back where I started. I used HiJack This to "fix" the first two lines in the scan (and log), but that doesn't work either. I don't often use IE unless a specific, particular website doesn't work in Firefox, but I have a problem that should be removable/solvable and maybe a problem that opens the door to other problems or transmits keystrokes, otherwise secure info to "spies".

I am running the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, and the beta Windows AntiSpyware, and every night update the definitions of Norton AV. I run scans of everything every Friday evening. But I have been invaded by a self-replicating "bug/worm" and I need help in eradicating it.
I did precisely as recommended. Even before re-booting IE opened with Google as my start page. But AFTER I re-booted (Ad-Watch of course loaded on startup) everything was back just as malfunctioning as before. When I open IE, it shows http://www.comcast.net/flashUpgrade.html in the address bar. When I click on "Stop", the rapid clicking I hear stops and from then until I exit IE works OK. New log below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:33:07 AM, on 3/26/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\ggviewer67-89.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0003\DriverFiles\CARPSERV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color\NaturalColorLoad.exe
C:\Program Files\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe
C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Robomagic\SocketWatch\swatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe
C:\Program Files\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: TrustWatch Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-88A9-EB6DA381A928} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\TRUSTW~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: TrustWatch Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-88A9-EB6DA381A928} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\TRUSTW~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0003\DriverFiles\CARPSERV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TClockEx] C:\Program Files\TClockEx\TCLOCKEX.EXE
O4 - Startup: ATnotes.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATnotes\ATnotes.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Silent Clean.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\mrublaster.exe
O4 - Startup: SocketWatch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Robomagic\SocketWatch\swatch.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microtek Scanner Finder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NaturalColorLoad.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://fdl.msn.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://moneycentral.msn.com
O16 - DPF: {01FE8D0A-51AD-459B-B62B-85E135128B32} (DD_v4.DDv4) - http://www.drivershq.com/DD_v4.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/s…118/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {A97608DD-6999-11D5-9C8C-0010A4F2D6BF} (QCOMCont Class) - http://www.quicken.com/qw2001/qcominst.cab
O16 - DPF: {ADFEE671-5D06-48A7-AF43-A598D3A58AF6} (DemoForge Player Control) - http://www.demoforge.com/dst/dfplay.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {E56347B0-6C2B-4C2E-939F-EE513EAC80BC} (Creative Product Registration ActiveX Control Module) - http://www.creative.com/register/OCXs/CtORWebClientNoMFC.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB289CB4-C028-4883-92D4-E430BC7D45A7} (Sm3LicenseCheck Library) - http://www.iolo.com/sm/ocx/Sm3LicenseCheck.ocx
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/s…12118/CTPID.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
Adwatch is locking your homepage. You will need to turn adwatch off and stop it from loading at startup. Try looking through the settings and see if you can't find a way to allow a new homepage to be set.
After a very diligent search I could find no way within Ad-Watch to allow setting a new home page. I turned off starting Ad-Watch at startup. With it off, the start page when I opened IE was as I want: Google.com; however, I started Ad-Watch immediately after verifying that and exiting IE, and then opened IE again–and I was right back with the exact same problem.
I haven't ever used adwatch, so I can't really be of much help with the settings. I'm sure there is a way to allow the change.

The only thing that I know will work for sure it to uninstall it, change your homepage, and reinstall it. I doubt you have to go to that extreme of a measure.

Try looking here.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adwatch/#

You might be able to get an answer on the lavasoft support forums (which seem to be down at the moment).
After all the time I (and recently, you) have spent thinking about and working on this, I readily "went to that extreme", uninstalled Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch, including digging out and deleting EVERY reference to LavaSoft and Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch from the Windows Registry. (All this after I had changed my home page to Google.com and exited IE). I then re-booted and IE/Google was correct, unimpeded. I then re-installed (I always keep Programs I get free, from paid shareware, donation made, and just outright purchased) Ad-Aware SE Plus and Ad-Watch, opened them, made them active, with A-W "load on startup), again re-booted, and everything was just as it should be: PROBLEM overcome and eliminated. Even at 81 I should have early-on thought of and done that. But I offer now my profuse and many THANKS.
Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI