This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't Update Ie5 To Ie6

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had been using IE 6.0 for a couple of years, but after trying to rid myself of some spyware I think I messed something up (?). IE isn't able to connect to the net through my AOL service (please don't laugh!). I ended up resetting IE to a previous version. IE5.0 I tried to update back to 6.0 on Microsoft's site, but I get this error message: "Setup was unable to download information about available installation sites. Setup may have been unable to use your current proxy settings. Click advanced if you know your proxy settings." I guess that is the reason I was having problems with 6.0 in the first place. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Thank you. (I have Windows 98SE).
Okay, I got the update to work by unchecking the proxy box. Still can't open IE 6.0. "Cannot find server". I was online with an AOL support tech and he/she couldn't help either. For whatever reason IE can open inside AOL's window, but not outside. Now I'm updating Windows critical files to see if that helps. I realize AOL is not the preferred ISP because of these exact issues, but I get it for free from work and I'm not going to try anything else for now. So I really want to work around AOL's issues (if it is their problem). 6.0 used to work fine with AOL.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI