Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't Update Ie5 To Ie6

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 atlantamoi

atlantamoi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:21 PM

I had been using IE 6.0 for a couple of years, but after trying to rid myself of some spyware I think I messed something up (?). IE isn't able to connect to the net through my AOL service (please don't laugh!). I ended up resetting IE to a previous version. IE5.0 I tried to update back to 6.0 on Microsoft's site, but I get this error message: "Setup was unable to download information about available installation sites. Setup may have been unable to use your current proxy settings. Click advanced if you know your proxy settings." I guess that is the reason I was having problems with 6.0 in the first place. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Thank you. (I have Windows 98SE).

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 atlantamoi

atlantamoi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

Okay, I got the update to work by unchecking the proxy box. Still can't open IE 6.0. "Cannot find server". I was online with an AOL support tech and he/she couldn't help either. For whatever reason IE can open inside AOL's window, but not outside. Now I'm updating Windows critical files to see if that helps. I realize AOL is not the preferred ISP because of these exact issues, but I get it for free from work and I'm not going to try anything else for now. So I really want to work around AOL's issues (if it is their problem). 6.0 used to work fine with AOL.