Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Network Connection Service Probs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 honer's

honer's

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:14 AM

I got a question.....I want to open up my network connection but when it opens up there is nothing there...must be able to connect to the internet or else i wouldnt be able to send this question....any ideas as to what to do

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:30 AM

Your Internet connection is not a network connection :scratch: Network connections refer to LAN connections via Ethernet etc. If you are not connected to a LAN, there will be no connections under that option. The properties of your internet connection (dial up or broadband) can be found under the internet options in control panel, or Internet Explorer>tools menu.
I didn't believe in reincarnation last time either!

#3 honer's

honer's

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:40 AM

so like im really confuse then....i cannot get my sons puter to connect to the internet....we share with exterior cable modem.....my internet cable was disconnected from the modem....and every since then i have not been able to get him connected....is there some format i need to follow to get him reconnected

#4 mark2

mark2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:46 AM

You possibly need to reboot the modem, when changing computers over.

#5 honer's

honer's

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:04 PM

tks...tried rebootin...still to no avail....when i right mouse click on "My Network Places" and go to properties...i have a blank screen.....nothing there to tell me what my connections are....

#6 IrishAngel

IrishAngel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:53 AM

I had a similar problem and what we had to do was to disconnect the cable modem from the pc, and then we had to reinstall from the disk that your cable company gave you when you first installed cable, and then reconnect the cable once again. You might have to reboot also. There might be one other thing that can help since you are on a cable modem. This should be easily done if you have Windows XP Home or Pro. I am not sure of other OS. Take note of your ip address beforehand to verify your changes. (if you can't figure out how to do that, you probably shouldn't do this.) First, at the command prompt, (start, run, command) type: ipconfig /release .. then enter you can type EXIT at this point Go to your tcp/ip properties (right click on my network places, select 'properties' from the list) Go to the properties of the local area connection (again, right click, properties) Double-click on internet protocol tcp/ip. (you should be at tcp/ip properties at this point. you'll be back here in less than a minute so remember where it is.) Under the "general" tab, select the radio button that says "use the following ip address" In the ip address field, use a "undefined" (and thus, unused) ip address (such as 10.1.1.1) by mouse-clicking into each field and entering the corresponding number. below that is the gateway and by default, if you hit TAB, it will fill with 255.0.0.0. if not, do so. click okay, then okay again on the aforementioned local areas connections properties. this will put you back into the network connections folder. from here, start again, getting back to tcp/ip properties (don't remember? follow the steps above). this time, select "obtain ip address automatically". Click okay, then okay again. after you've verified that the address has been changed (double click on your local area connection icon and look at the support tab), feel free to close the network connections folder. If all else fails, then call your cable company and ask them for technical support.
Go n-eiri an t-adh leat

#7 honer's

honer's

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:38 PM

Irish....see that is the problem im having....i do not have those icons to click...are you saying that when i go in and type ipconfig/release and then type exit that these icons i cannot find will show up....and then i can follow the directions from there....i just want to cover all basis before i go into an area that i am not to familiar with....i have put in an attachment to show you what kind of error i get when i just add ipconfig.....ok so the file was so big.....here is the error message i am getting when i try to open network connections.....

[b]the Network Connection Folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Network Connection service is enabled and running....

now when i go to run and type in command and then type "ipconfig" here is the error message i get from there....

[B]The procedure entry point DhcpNotifyMediaReconnected could not be located int he dynamic link library DHCPCSVC.DLL

if i still follow the directions as you have stated will this solve these problems....

Edited by honer's, 19 January 2004 - 08:53 PM.