This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Repeated Kernel32.dll Errors

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I've been having terrible problems on start up with crashes before the machine has even finished booting. Errors in various processes have been causing crashes with Kernel32.dll, including rnaapp and mosearch.

I've already run Trend Housecall and found no viruses, I have also run AdAware over it and removed anything untowards.

I would really like to strip down the processes at start up to try and relieve any issues. Please see the below log and advise as appropriate:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 12:49:37, on 20/02/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\TVWAKEUP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\BIN\MOSEARCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AHEAD\INCD\INCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTFMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.virgin.net/
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.co.uk/"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ofnsni49.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ofnsni49.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HorngTech4D] C:\PROGRA~1\MOUSES~1\BALLY4D.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WildTangent CDA] RUNDLL32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\WILDTA~1\APPS\CDA\CDAENG~1.DLL,cdaEngineMain
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TVWakeup] C:\Progra~1\TVView~1\tvwakeup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Announcements] C:\Program Files\TV Viewer\annclist.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MOSearch] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\BIN\MOSEARCH.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MDM7] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.virgin.net/
O16 - DPF: {68BCE50A-DC9B-4519-A118-6FDA19DB450D} (Info Class) - http://www.blizzard.com/support/includes/cabs/si.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab



Many Thanks,

Bugs
Hello Bugs, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. If you still need help, please follow these directions.

1) I see no antivirus software or firewall running on this computer? You just can not count of a online scan as this gives you no realtime protection. I see a BHO here: O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file) but that is missing a file and I am not certain if it is giving you any protection at all. If you need a free AV program, here are three free ones to choose from. I suggest AVG:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?…5715&CID=179825

2) Here are also two free firewalls for your consideration. I suggest ZoneAlarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/comp…reeDownload.jsp
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

3) Open Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt, Delete at the same time) locate and end process on:
MOSEARCH

4) Scan with HijackThis and put a check in the box in front of each of these line items:

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WildTangent CDA] RUNDLL32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\WILDTA~1\APPS\CDA\CDAENG~1.DLL,cdaEngineMain
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MOSearch] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\BIN\MOSEARCH.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.virgin.net/
O16 - DPF: {68BCE50A-DC9B-4519-A118-6FDA19DB450D} (Info Class) - http://www.blizzard.com/support/includes/cabs/si.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab

Close all programs but HJT and all browswe windows then click on "Fix Checked"

You may need to enable hidden files, here are the instructions if you do:
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

RIGHT click on Start then click on Explore, locate and delete this folder:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\ >>> folder
Run clean manager, delete all cookies and temp files. Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer. Stay in this same thread and post a new log along with your comments.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
Hi,

Thanks for the help pskelley, I have installed AV and firewall as suggested and gone through the rest of the steps you mentioned. So far no problems, but it's early days yet!

Please find my ne HJT log below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 16:16:07, on 27/02/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\TVWAKEUP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AHEAD\INCD\INCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTFMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.virgin.net/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=webcache.blueyonder.co.uk:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.co.uk/"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ofnsni49.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ofnsni49.slt\prefs.js)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HorngTech4D] C:\PROGRA~1\MOUSES~1\BALLY4D.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TVWakeup] C:\Progra~1\TVView~1\tvwakeup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Announcements] C:\Program Files\TV Viewer\annclist.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MDM7] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE

Again, thanks for the help,

Bugs.
OK Bugs. You have a clean computer. Make sure you update the AVG program, set it to update and scan for you and also run a complete system scan. The firewall will take a little time to configure. Once you have allowed the access needed by the good programs, if a bad one tries to get in, ZA will stop it. The information is in the tutorials to show you how to do this if you have not already done so. I have a few other programs to suggest to help you stay clean, but first I would like you to update your HJT. Version 1.99.1 came out while I was waiting for your log, and I would like to look at a log with it onboard. You can update like this: Open HJT > Open the Misc Tools section > Scroll to Check for undate online > Follow instructions. Scan and make a new log and post it. If all is still well, I will give you some great information to keep your computer clean. :) Thanks…pskelley TomCoyote forum Slyware Warrior
Hi again pskelley,

Thanks for getting back so quick! I have updated AVG, and am running ZA, all seems to be going smoothly. Although a lot of problems were before I even got to desktop, I also had a lot of trouble with IE, I haven't had any problems using Firefox so far though.

I also think I had some problems with my disk (probably due to the number of inproper shutdowns due to all the crashes), but I've done a full run of scandisk and plan on defragging tonight.

I updated HJT and my new log can be found below, thanks in advance for any advice you can give:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 23:12:30, on 27/02/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\TVWAKEUP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AHEAD\INCD\INCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTFMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.virgin.net/
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.co.uk/"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ofnsni49.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ofnsni49.slt\prefs.js)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HorngTech4D] C:\PROGRA~1\MOUSES~1\BALLY4D.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TVWakeup] C:\Progra~1\TVView~1\tvwakeup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Announcements] C:\Program Files\TV Viewer\annclist.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MDM7] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE



Cheers,

Bugs.
OK Bugs, I suggest you run your maintenance in Safe Mode. If you have not done this before, here is a great tutorial, just choose your operating system. Because items keep trying to start with a full boot, you will get a quicker, better maintenace in this way.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=61

You have some programs running at startup you may not need and could rather start them via Start, Progams IF you need them. Here is one: C:\PROGRAM FILES\TV VIEWER\TVWAKEUP.EXE and what CastleCops has to say: http://castlecops.com/startuplist-3969.html

I have a Win98SE that I do not use often, kind of like having a old car under a tarp…lol, I can tell you ME is not much more stable than 98. You need to do everything you can to maintain it if you wish to keep it running. I always make sure I close one program before I open another, do maintenance often, things like that. Here are some links if you wish to look at what is running. Remember, do not stop anything you are not 100% sure of:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
http://computercops.biz/StartupList.html
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

You are clean and here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay that way:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI