This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Tons of Popups and failures! Help with Log, plz!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:06:44 PM, on 5/15/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IPOD\BIN\IPODMANAGER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\MM_TRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\KODAK\KODAK_DR\KODAKCCS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ICSMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\AREA.EXE
C:\AGKSWJM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IPOD\BIN\IPODSERVICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\WINTOOLS\WSUP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOOLBAR\TBPS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOOLBAR\PIB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://hp.my.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/sa
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50141
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/sa
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\PROTECTION\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSB.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Search Toolbar - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Delay] C:\WINDOWS\delayrun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iPodManager] C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\KODAK\KODAK_DR\KodakCCS.exe –pdr: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\KODAK\KODAK_DR\dcmnter.pdr"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICSMGR] ICSMGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TBPS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServicesOnce: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE /boot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServicesOnce: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TBPS.exe /boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uate] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\area.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Gqhpku] \agkswjm.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Uate] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\area.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Gqhpku] \agkswjm.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://hp.my.yahoo.com
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {FA3662C3-B8E8-11D6-A667-0010B556D978} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/_media/dalaillama/ampx.cab
O16 - DPF: {845C260B-A44B-49A3-86A6-71430B3000A0} (TeleVoxAudioPlayer.TVoxAudioPlayer) - https://www.mytelevox.com/mytestresults/cab…AudioPlayer.CAB
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/aol/unagi/ampx_en_dl.cab
O18 - Protocol: tpro - {FF76A5DA-6158-4439-99FF-EDC1B3FE100C} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
Hi Kitten!

Let's get started on your log!

Download and install CCleaner. Don't run it yet.

Download CWShredder. Save it to its own folder. Run the program, update it. Press the fix button. Exit when done.

Print this out for reference during the fix.

Make sure no files will be hidden. To do this:

1. Open My Computer.
2. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
3. Select the View Tab.
4. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
5. Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Click OK.

Hit Ctrl+Alt+delete to bring up the Task Manager. End Task:

AREA.EXE
AGKSWJM.EXE
WTOOLSA.EXE
WSUP.EXE
TBPS.EXE
PIB.EXE


Click Start>Run, type in regsvr32 /u TOOLBAR.DLL, hit Enter.

Run and scan with HijackThis. With all other browsers and windows closed, place a check beside the following and fix:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/sa
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50141
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/sa
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSB.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Search Toolbar - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TBPS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServicesOnce: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE /boot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServicesOnce: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TBPS.exe /boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uate] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\area.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Gqhpku] \agkswjm.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Uate] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\area.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Gqhpku] \agkswjm.exe
O18 - Protocol: tpro - {FF76A5DA-6158-4439-99FF-EDC1B3FE100C} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL


Boot into Safe Mode. To do this:

1. Reboot your computer.
2. Tap the F8 button as your computer is booting to bring you to an Advanced Options Menu.
3. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

Search for and delete these folders:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\WINTOOLS
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOOLBAR

Search for and delete these files:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\area.exe
C:\AGKSWJM.EXE

Empty your Recycle bin. Run CCleaner.

Reboot Windows normally and post a new HijackThis log please.

Thanks!
Let me start by saying thank you for taking all the time you have already with my topic. :D I downloaded the CCleaner & CWShredder and ran the CWS as prescribed. I made sure no files were hidden, and unhid the OS. Ran into problems with the next item re: Task Manager. Ended the six tasks as requested: most of them (except for area & agkswjm) did not disappear from list once ended. Most of them also said that they were busy, etc., and couldn't exit. My computer crashed a few times when I tried to get back into the web to explain this to you, so I had to shut down and restart and end the tasks again. How important is this step? When I attempted the RUN command, the message from the RegSrvr32 said that the Load Library failed. GetLastError returns 0x00000485. So that didn't go very well either <_< . I didn't want to start HiJack This without checking to see how important these other commands were before I ran the fix. Should we do anything else, or continue to HiJack This? Thanks!
Whew! Alot of junk on my computer, I see! The CCleaner is amazing. Is it something to be ran on a regular basis or just for major messes like this, under expert supervision? Anyway, new log here we go….

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:12:27 PM, on 5/15/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DELAYRUN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IPOD\BIN\IPODMANAGER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\MM_TRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\KODAK\KODAK_DR\KODAKCCS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ICSMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IPOD\BIN\IPODSERVICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://hp.my.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\PROTECTION\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSB.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Search Toolbar - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Delay] C:\WINDOWS\delayrun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iPodManager] C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\KODAK\KODAK_DR\KodakCCS.exe –pdr: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\KODAK\KODAK_DR\dcmnter.pdr"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICSMGR] ICSMGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TBPS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://hp.my.yahoo.com
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {FA3662C3-B8E8-11D6-A667-0010B556D978} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/_media/dalaillama/ampx.cab
O16 - DPF: {845C260B-A44B-49A3-86A6-71430B3000A0} (TeleVoxAudioPlayer.TVoxAudioPlayer) - https://www.mytelevox.com/mytestresults/cab…AudioPlayer.CAB
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/aol/unagi/ampx_en_dl.cab

I need a new firewall, and antivirus. I had to stop using Outpost a few months back, when my computer would only start in safe mode, and we had to eliminate Outpost to get it to work properly. Also, I used AVGW (spelling?) antivirus program, and it caused a ton of errors in my system, so I eliminated that a few days ago. So, I need a good antivirus, as well. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for everything. I and my computer are feeling much better. :)

Thanks for help from Alberta!

-Kitten
Thanks for posting the new log… almost done… just a few entries to get rid of.

Print this out for reference during the fix.

Run and scan with HijackThis. With all other browsers and windows closed, place a check beside the following and fix:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSB.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Search Toolbar - {339BB23F-A864-48C0-A59F-29EA915965EC} - C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TBPS] C:\PROGRA~1\TOOLBAR\TBPS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinTools] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WINTOOLS\WTOOLSA.EXE


I think these are just leftovers…

Make sure that the folders:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\WINTOOLS
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TOOLBAR[/]

Are deleted.

Reboot and post a new HijackThis log please.

Thanks!
:thumbup: Here it goes! Introducing my New and improved HiJack This Log…….

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:48:03 PM, on 5/15/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DELAYRUN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IPOD\BIN\IPODMANAGER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\MM_TRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\KODAK\KODAK_DR\KODAKCCS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ICSMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\IPOD\BIN\IPODSERVICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://hp.my.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\PROTECTION\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Delay] C:\WINDOWS\delayrun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iPodManager] C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\KODAK\KODAK_DR\KodakCCS.exe –pdr: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\KODAK\KODAK_DR\dcmnter.pdr"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICSMGR] ICSMGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://hp.my.yahoo.com
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {FA3662C3-B8E8-11D6-A667-0010B556D978} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/_media/dalaillama/ampx.cab
O16 - DPF: {845C260B-A44B-49A3-86A6-71430B3000A0} (TeleVoxAudioPlayer.TVoxAudioPlayer) - https://www.mytelevox.com/mytestresults/cab…AudioPlayer.CAB
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/aol/unagi/ampx_en_dl.cab

How did we do? B)
So far so good. As I mentioned, I need a new firewall and anti-virus. What do you like? As far as I can tell, I should use S&Destroy, Ad-aware SE, and CWShredder on a regular (weekly) basis. Any other suggestions? What about the CCleaner program? I hate having to crawl back to you all every 5 months or so for help! I sure appreciate all the time… it will make my work next week so much easier without having to reboot constantly! One more computer life saved! :wavey:
Mr. KotaGuy, I'm gonna call it a night. If you can direct me to any great firewalls or antivirus programs, I will download them tomorrow. I will see how it runs over the next few days, and give you an update later in the week if I have any problems. Go to sleep feeling good about how much help you have been today! Thanks and G'night! -_-
Good to hear it. Glad I was able to help!

Now for some suggestions….

To clean up any remnants that we might not have been able to get with HijackThis, you might want to do an online scan or two. A couple good ones are Panda ActiveScan and TrendMicro HouseCall. Let them fix anything they find. Reboot between each scan.

Do scans with Ad-Aware and Spybot. Visit this page for proper configuration of the programs. Run and scan with both, letting them fix whatever they find. Remember to reboot between each scan.

After that reset your System Restore Point. This will ensure a nice clean backup to fall upon if you ever need it. To do this:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Check the "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives"

Reboot your computer, follow the steps above, this time unchecking the "Turn off System Restore" and reboot.

Along with Ad-Aware and Spybot, you might also want to look into installing SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, and IE-SPYAD. You can grab them from the links in my sig. The programs are free and can be updated, so please remember to do so. Installing these will go a long way in preventing reinfection.

As for an AntiVirus.. I usually recommend AVG but you seem to have problems with it. Another good free AV program is BitDefender's Free AV. You can download it here.

I recommend downloading and installing ZoneAlarm as a Firewall.

Also… run CCleaner every week with your other scans… will keep the junk from piling up.

Other than that… keep Windows updated, keep your protection programs updated, scan often, and…

Surf Safe!
I installed and ran all your suggestions today. Thank you so much for such a detailed list… it will help greatly as a long term reference. I have one problem… with the ZoneAlarm I am not able to access my homepage (Google). I get an Error Page instead. :scratch: When I close down ZoneAlarm, it works fine. Any ideas? I am sure it is obvious to you, but I can't seem to get it to work. I know we are away from the HiJack This problem, so if I need to seek help for this in another forum, just let me know. Thanks, everything else seems to be working great. Enjoy your Monday! :weee: -Kitten
Hmmm… :scratch: Actually, I haven't come across that before. Try something for me… Open up the ZA Control Center(double click the icon in your system tray). Click Privacy. In the Main tab… turn off Cookie Control and Ad Blocking if you have them enabled. Click the Sites tab. Make sure Google isn't listed inthe as being blocked for some reason. Let me know if that works.
Hello! I suspect that the ZoneAlarm that is free is different from the version you are accustomed to. Or maybe I just couldn't find the items that you mentioned. In any event, the free version had internet control on "stealth" mode, and when I reduced it to a more moderate setting, I was able to surf just fine. B) It seems to be working well, and all systems are good so far. I went back and rehid the operating files that we unhid earlier in the week. So I think we are back to the basics, and running well. Thanks again for all your great help this week. I know I will be back in a few months when things get a little goofy again. Hopefully, you'll be around to help ;) ! Good luck and have a great summer! See you! Diana
Excellent… knew it was some setting in ZA… and yeah… I have the Pro version instead of the free version, they are a bit different. Glad you got it figured out! :) If you need us again, you knwo where we are. You have a great summer as well. Surf Safe!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI