This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trouble

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope this did not duplicate- I was attacked while submitting this:

Hello- I seem to have been attacked by a trojan which has downloaded a dialer. Symantec will find the dialer (dload.exe) but will not remove it. I can manually remove the file via the file search etc… but as soon as I reboot and connect to the internet I am attacked by download.trojan & startup.trojan. It changes my home page to one of three different pages: horseserver.net, Klikfeed.com, and aboutblank. Symantec haults these attacks, but when I run a scan, the dload.exe file has been recylcled. In addition to the above, I am being attacked by loads of spyware which my Spydoctor will remove but obviously returns with dload.exe upon logging on to the internet.

I think that is it. There are a lot of things going on at the same time and all this is way beyond my computer knowledge. Any help you can send me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance-


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 7:47:34 PM, on 2/8/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tmpf01.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\MacfieIII\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis[1].zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = C:\WINDOWS\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {91B8FE3F-D244-4D6E-A08B-49E691C60420} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nnik.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Setup experation] C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Systems Restart] Rundll32.exe snim.dll, DllRegisterServer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/launch/alaunch.cab
O18 - Filter: text/html - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Hello- I hate to be a bother- can someone please reply to this. Its eating up my computer and I am deathly afraid this dialer is making unwarrented calls. Can someone please check this and reply. Thanks again for your support. Mac
OK Mac, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. If you are still waiting for help I will see what I can do. Sorry it is taking so long, we are very busy…like we are giving something away…lol. :P
Before we can even start we have to get your HJT.exe out of the Temp folder into a permanent folder. This is needed to save backups for safety and logs. Take a look at the last item in the C: running processes and you will see what I mean. If you want to run from Docs and Settings then choose a blank spot and RIGHT click then create a NEW FOLDER called HJT, move the HJT.exe and any logs you see into the new folder. Then to be sure, delete all items in that TEMP folder. NOT THE FOLDER just the contents. Thanks.

I am not familiar with the new Microsoft AntiSpyware, I do know there are issues with it and it is still a Beta product. Something to think about. If it or any other software you are running tries to prevent HJT from removing what we must, please turn it off until we are done. Now I need to address the rouge product you have onboard:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup , please view the information about SpyKiller in this link: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-s…re.htm#products then use Add Remove programs to uninstall the item.
Here are a couple of the items we are up against.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tmpf01.exe
http://www.superadblocker.com/spywaredisplay.html?id=2421
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojstartpadw.html
Troj/StartPa-DW hijacker variant
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Setup experation] C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojtofgero.html

First I wish to say that I have nothing against Symantec but I am concerned that an updated Symantec product will not locate and remove these trojans for you? Having said that we will be using two free products. One is an online scan, the other is a free download. Run the free online scan first, setting it to clean or remove anything it locates. I would like feedback about what gets the trojans as this will help me in the future decide what tools to use. If the first one does not kill it, then download the free version of TrojanHunter and follow the directions. I am going to include the HJT removal process so you can see the lines that are involved. Do not move to the HJT portion of the fix until both of then scans are completed if needed. You may scan with HJT to look to see if the lines are gone. When you get to the HJT removal, if the tools did their job the items may no longer be there. Complete the instructions anyway as a second check.

Here is your free online scan and the download if needed:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co…n_principal.htm
http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Once the above instructions are complete, and I will say again if the scans did their job some of these items should be gone, just don't miss them if they are there.
Open Task Manager then the Processes Tab, locate and end process if there:
tmpf01.exe
Setup experation
Systems Restart
SpyKiller

Use the information in the following link to enable hidden files for your Operating System:
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

Scan with HijackThis and check the box in front of each of these line items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = C:\WINDOWS\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {91B8FE3F-D244-4D6E-A08B-49E691C60420} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nnik.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Setup experation] C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Systems Restart] Rundll32.exe snim.dll, DllRegisterServer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpyKiller] C:\Program Files\SpyKiller\spykiller.exe /startup
O18 - Filter: text/html - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snim.dll

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows then click on "Fix Checked"

Mac, This is very imporant. This is a good file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe The trojan tries to look valid but it looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe. Please be very careful not to delete the good file. The bad one will be in the C:\WINDOWS\ folder NOT the C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.


RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore, locate and delete these files or folders if they are there:

C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe >>> file

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tmpf01.exe >>> file

C:\Program Files\SpyKiller >>> folder

Clean Like this: Start, Run type "cleanmgr" without the quotes then ok. Check and remove anything windows locates. Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer. Post a new log, use ADD REPLY to stay in this thread. Any feedback or comments you have will be appreciated.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
Many thanks for your response. I know you all are very busy from looking at the hundreds of posts. I am dumbfounded as to how many problems there are. As soon as I get home I will begin with your instructions. Just for clarification- the Symantic does hault the Trojans that are attacking me and removes them- what it will not do is remove this crazy dialer - dload.exe- this thing seems to be the main problem. I can remove it manually - but as soon as I reconnect- it regenerates itself - initiates some sort of program and THEN I am attacked by the trojans. At that point I block the internet traffic and Internet Explorer is terminated. So I basically can not stay on line for more than a minute or two before I have block traffic. Before I got to this site, I read somewhere that the Microsft spyware would actually remove the dialer program- it obviously did not- but it actually catches some of the spyware that Symantec misses and my spyware doctor misses. Anyway- thanks again for your help- I will look at this in greater detail when I get home. Mac
Hello PSKelly,

I have followed the instructions you sent:

Pandasoftware scan yielded several infections. I was not able to see exactly what they were- I believe it cleaned about 10 infections.

I actually purchased the Trojanhunter program about a week ago before I submitted, but decided not to install until I sought help. Anyway- it found a ton of trojans - all pretty much the same code with different endings. This program deleted these infections. However, it did find one infection which it designated as a "possible" trojan. So I submitted it to the trojanhunter web site. Will see what that comes to later.

I then went to the web site that instructed me to "unhide" the hidden files- ran a highjack log and checked and deleted the authorized files. Several were not present- I assume the panda or trojanhunter program previously deleted them. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHICH OF THESE WERE NOT PRESENT.

****question- Should I return to this program and re-hide these files - or leave them exposed? *****

I ran an explore and did not see any files listed that matched what you advised- nor did not see any file that matched c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe- So I don't think I deleted this by accident - I am really not sure about that though-

I then ran the cleanmgr and deleted what was found- there was nothing in the recycle bin to empty.

Everything appears to be normal again-

Attached is the last log- let me know if you see anything and if you have any further instructions-

Thank you very much for your help- it was not only relatively easy but somewhat entertaining - the instructions were very thorough and easy to understand- I just hope I followed them correctly- Thank you so much for your help- I will most definately send a donation. So far its been worth it.

Mac

———-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:34:05 PM, on 2/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\MacfieIII\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.1\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/launch/alaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: drct16 - drct16.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Hi Mac, Looking it over now, will try to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Microsft spyware: keep in mind it is still a Beta product, they purchased Giant (I believe) and are turning it into a Microsoft product. I believe it is far from being complete, but I sometimes believe that about Internet Explorer 6.0 too…lol :P

However, it did find one infection which it designated as a "possible" trojan. So I submitted it to the trojanhunter web site. Will see what that comes to later.


I would appreciate the name and any information you get from them for my database.

****question- Should I return to this program and re-hide these files - or leave them exposed? *****


This is entirely your option, since malware writers hide their files I have almost every member enable hidden files, they would not be able to locate and delete them otherwise. If you know that no one is going to fool with files and folders on your computer it is no issue to leave them unhidden.

c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe-


Ok there, the svchost is running in the log. Another instance opens when you run a program that is why you will see several running in your log at once. Perfectly normal.

Thank you very much for your help- it was not only relatively easy but somewhat entertaining - the instructions were very thorough and easy to understand- I just hope I followed them correctly- Thank you so much for your help- I will most definately send a donation. So far its been worth it.


Well thank you also, nice to here positive comments, sorry if the update and new server caused any issues. I can mention that free training opportunities are available anytime you want to learn more. I am sure Tom can use a donation, must cost many $$ to run a site like this. I can say that we are all volunteers.

I see you downloaded the newest version of HJT already. It shows a new item that does not identify in 020 lines. I would like you to use HJT to remove that line. I am sure it is bad.

Scan with HJT and check this line:

O20 - Winlogon Notify: drct16 - drct16.dll (file missing)

Close all programs and browser windows and click on "Fix Checked" Post one last log, the 020 items are new in the log and I wish to make sure it is gone.

I am also going to give you the all clean information. From Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler comes some great information to keep you clean and safe online.
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Good luck and safe surfing…Phil
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
Hello- I found one last thing- I think it may be associated with the possible trojan the trojanhunter found. Anway- after finishing all the above instructions I rebooted - the spyware doctor found the following: CWS-Trojan Registry: HKCR\CLSID\(B72F75B8-93F3-429D-B13E-660B206D897A) Guid: (B72F7……D897A) Then I connected to the internet and my home page was again changed to About Blank. I changed it back to the normal page- I ran a symantic scan but nothing was found. I'm not certain if that was just a remaining file or if it was the "possible" trojan etc…. thought you might be interested though. I think I will probably uninstall the microsoft thing- in a day or so- Thanks again for your help- as soon as the trojanhunter site replys to the inquiry ii will post it here- Mac
Hello Mac, The CWS item does not show in the log, but some of this malware is good at hiding. Please download an run CWShredder. Let me know if it locates and deletes anything. When you have it installed, make sure you update it first, then click on FIX…not scan. Let it run and it will do it's job.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popu…WShredder.shtml

Please also always post the log so we can see what is going on in the computer. I should point out that a search of the CLSID number indicates it is this:
Troj/StartPa-DW hijacker variant: Troj/StartPa-DW hijacker variant. You can do a Google search of the number to get the same results. If you get a location of the file, that would be good. I would also like to see you getting some of the suggested programs from the all clean links in place. Here are the ones I run on my computer along with tutorials to make them the most efficient.
Spybot
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial43.html
Ad-aware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial48.html
SpywareBlaster
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial49.html
SpywareGuard:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial50.html
IE-Spyad
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial53.html

Keep me posted. Thanks…pskelley
Good morning- Trojanhunter replied to the "possible" trojan as follows:


tmpf00.exe is adware. Delete the file.

James Anderson wrote:
> Registry scan
> No suspicious entries found
> Inifile scan
> No suspicious entries found
> Port scan
> No suspicious open ports found
> Memory scan
> No trojans found in memory
> File scan
> Error: Directory not found: A:\
> Found possible trojan file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\tmpf00.exe (Suspicious: UPX-packed file in Windows System folder) (What's a possible trojan file?) (Submit for analysis…) (Add to ignore list)
> Error: Directory not found: D:\
> Error: Directory not found: E:\
> 1 possible trojan files found

–
Regards,

Magnus
[removed]


I will run a scan with the items you listed this evening and send in a new log.

Thanks for your help.

Mac
Hello Phil- I think I have gotten everything- this is my last log after I deleted the file trojanhunter found.

Let me know if you see anything odd.

Thanks - Mac

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:48:34 PM, on 2/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\MacfieIII\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.1\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/launch/alaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe


:wavey:
Wait- I have a question- I see I have the gamespy program running which I uninstalled a while ago. The games I play automatically connect to the servers I use- is the gamespy a program that I actually need anymore- or is this the remaining file that actually DOES connect me. Mac

Hello Phil- I think I have gotten everything- this is my last log after I deleted the file trojanhunter found.
Let me know if you see anything odd.
Thanks - Mac


This line can be removed if you wish:
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm

The games I play automatically connect to the servers I use- is the gamespy a program that I actually need anymore- or is this the remaining file that actually DOES connect me.


The 016 DPF (Downloaded Program Files) can be removed if you no longer use them. Like in the case of the Panda DPF, if you remove it then wish to run the Panda scan again you would be prompted to download the cab file again before you could use the service. I will guess that if you remove the 016 gamespyarcade line, that when you return to the online games you will be prompted to download it again before you will be able to play the games. I play a few games, but if they are not totally online, and they require a download (DPF) I move on to others that are played purely online.
(can be removed if you like)
O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/software/launch/alaunch.cab

I believe I have given you the all clean information and I do encourage you to look into the programs and tutorials I suggested earlier. Good luck and safe surfing.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI