Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume Error

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AK-Man

AK-Man

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:35 PM

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this or even if you all help with this sort of stuff. I have had great results with other problems so thought I'd try here. I am having an Unmountable_Boot_Volume error which developed today. I get the blue screen of death and cannot boot to windows, even in safe mode. I have been reading up on this issue and have been able to get to the windows recovery console. I run "fixboot" which says my boot sector was corrupt and is now fixed. I tried to run "fixmbr" but got some message saying to be real careful to using this command so I backed out. I also ran "chkdsk /r" but could only get to 25% complete (tried 3 times and waited very long before shutting down and trying again). Not sure what else to do. I could re-install windows on this HD but would lose some data I would prefer not to lose. I am considering purchasing another HD, installing it as main HD, loading windows, and then slaving the current HD to it and grabbing the data off it that I want. Would this work? I am running XP home on a Dell Dimesion 8250 series wiht a 2.66 gig P4 processor and 512MB RDRAM. All was working fine until and this morning. Thinking maybe the HD is going out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. AK-Man

Advertisements

Register to Remove