Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Home Search Assistent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blm1515

blm1515

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 04:44 PM

Guys and Gals: I hope this is the right spot to post a gigantic thanks and to tell my story! I got infected by the above pesky varmint about a week ago. I didn't think much about it as I've always been able to trouble shoot and fix most computer "things." That is until I ran into this selfmutating <left about/:blank intentionally>. I won't post a complete log on the time I have into this... I'll just say, easily several days as well as viewing every computer trouble shooting board on the net. Seemed to me, that even the moderators/experts on most boards really didn't have a clue as what's going on with HSA. I thought this computer had an incurable cancer and that left me contemplating a complete reformat job. Then I happened across the TomCoyote site and it looked like these guys knew their stuff. One post in "Solved Hijacks" moderated by LDTate was awesome. As suggested, I got checked out by the antivirus sites, downloaded CWshredder as well as Spybot. Ad-Aware which I already had and Karen's Registry Pruner. Then went to work. When I started battling this thing, instead of getting worried and being submissive, I found myself getting into it! Perhaps the same way the moderators do here when solving peoples problems. And I gotta tell ya.... this HSA thing {as well as some other interesting unknown by me infections} refused to die until I found the right combination of processes, to do when. Could be a diff between LD's post which was concerning XP and this OS {98}. I won't be so bold as to post exactly what I did so as no one destroys their computers.... not a consultant :) Just want to mention to those that are mystified. HSA appears to mutate thru a normal shutdown/reboot and becomes an impossible to "shut down", or "add/remove" running process "again." For LDTate, in OS 98, the only way I could beat it was a hard reset/safe mode {post suggestions/karen's pruner}/with Spybot catching it again upon another hard reset and normal boot. Anyway... wanted to say to anyone that's rightly frustrated ... this can be beaten!! Most of all though, a giant thanks to this site and LDTate. Is there any way I can donate without Paypal guys? Please let me know! Can't thank ya'll enough, blm1515

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Emeritus-Spyware Fighter

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thank you for your story. I can assure you we value LDTate :thumbup: Re a donation - please follow the link below in my signate - or the one at the top of this page. An alternative to paypal is cash or Money order with an address to send it to. Thank you again for your post.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#3 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

Well thank you blm1515 :D Looks like we help and don't even know it sometimes.
Glad you were able to get your system cleaned :thumbup:

Thank you also for the donation. You stop back anytime you need help :wavey:

I can assure you we value LDTate

Thanks Chris ;)

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom