Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Difference Between Sdram And Ram?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:23 PM

What's the difference? If i need more RAM and bought SDRAM would that be the same? And, If i bought more RAM could I add it to the amount I have right now? Or do I have to lose the first thing of RAM and put in the new one?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:++

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

SDRAM is one type of RAM. There is also RDRAM, DDR RAM and Edo RAM. DDR RAM is becoming the most common type of new motherboards. What you would use and how much you can use is determined by what your motherboard is. If you know what motherboard you have, please post it. If you don't, but you have a brand name computer, we can help you find out. Post the name and model number of the computer and we can look it up....

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 04:10 PM

Well, I got this program called AIDA32 and it tells you all this stuff about your computeer.. It says: Motherboard ID: 51-0305-001437-00101111-071595-M571$00766M571Release 03/05/1999S Motherboard Name: Unknown

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

Iw as looking at RAM but I only found RAM that said DDR System Memory.. Is it the same as DDR SDRAM? someone please explain all these DDRs and SDRAMs

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

If you found DDR RAM in the AIDA32 log or in the machine, then that is what you have. Standard SDRAM is the most common type, but fading quickly in favor of DDR RAM. DDR RAM is a type of SDRAM, but is faster. It has become the norm because of this.

This page will give you details: http://computer.hows...ks.com/ram4.htm

or you can try this page: http://www.computerm...ommon-uses.html

#6 Pretender

Pretender

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:31 PM

You can get good basic information about ram types and other computer terms at:

http://www.webopedia.com/

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:36 PM

No, I saw DDR SDRAM in my AIDA, but I'm only seeing DDR RAM in the stores.. I'll check out those sites

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:09 PM

I looked at Kingston.com and it only had DDR and SDRAM.. :huh: Anyone know where I can get DDR SDRAM

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:43 PM

DDR SDRAM = DDR RAM.... They are the same thing... read the material in the links to learn more. The main thing you need to know is the speed of the DDR RAM and you can buy pretty much any DDR RAM around... If your computer is a brand name computer, you can even look up what RAM is suited for the computer at the Crucial RAM website, but, of course, they want to sell you the Crucial brand...

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:53 PM

DDR (Double Data Rate SDRAM) DDR basically doubles the rate of data transfer of standard SDRAM by transferring data on the up and down tick of a clock cycle. DDR memory operating at 333MHz actually operates at 166MHz * 2 (aka PC333 / PC2700) or 133MHz*2 (PC266 / PC2100). DDR is a 2.5 volt technology that uses 184 pins in its DIMMs. It is incompatible with SDRAM physically, but uses a similar parallel bus, making it easier to implement than RDRAM, which is a different technology. and DDR SDRAM (Double Data Rate Synchronous DRAM) Allows transactions on both the rising and falling edges of the clock cycle. It has a bus clock speed of 100MHz and will yield an effective data transfer rate of 200MHz. don't sound the same..

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:48 PM

Trust me on this, they are the same. The second quote you posted is about a particular speed of DDR SDRAM, the first quote is a general statement about all speeds of DDR SDRAM. They are the same thing. If you look on those pages that I posted links to, you will not find a separate DDR SDRAM and DDR (Double Data Rate SDRAM) because they are the same thing....

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

Well, I just found those two qoutes i posted from one of those sites.. DDR and DDR SDRAM seperate :unsure:

#13 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:47 PM

One site listed it as DDR SDRAM and the other listed it as DDR (Double Data Rate SDRAM).... This is just 2 different ways of saying the same thing... I don't see either site listing it both ways...

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 06:51 PM

http://www.computerm...ommon-uses.html
Scroll down a bit to see DDR

Then go to RAM Memory Technology
http://www.computerm...technology.html

And scroll till you see DDR SDRAM

#15 Budfred

Budfred

Malware hound

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:00 PM

The info in the second link is out of date, there are several different speeds of DDR RAM now. However, it doesn't contradict what I have been saying. You need DDR RAM. If you don't want to believe that feel free to keep searching for someone who words it exactly the way you feel comfortable wording it, but it is all the same thing. There is a new type of DDR RAM in development, but right now there is only the one type.... I have run out of ways of telling you that they are the same thing, so if you wish to debate it further, I will let someone else do that with you.....