This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

I Need Help

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running win98se. I am trying to figure out this computer problem and I am having a terrible time. I have eliminated some of the pop ups, but on start up I am still getting an error message that wnim.dll is missing and spyguard gives me a message that my homepage is trying to be changed.
I have used adaware and spybot 1.3 all my definitions are up to date. I delete them then when I reboot they are back.
I am using norton antivirus and it is updated. I have d/l and tried spysubtract. PLEASE any help would be very much appreciated.
thank you
here is the Hijack log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 1:27:24 AM, on 1/3/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\DCFSSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\SCANJET\PRECISIONSCANLT\HPPWRSAV.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETROPA\ONSCRE~1\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VALVE\STEAM\STEAM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\HCAE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK PICTURE TRANSFER SOFTWARE\PTS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK SOFTWARE UPDATER\7288971\PROGRAM\BACKWEB-7288971.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERMUTE\SPYSUBTRACT\SPYSUB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dcfssvc] c:\windows\System32\Drivers\dcfssvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hppwrsav] C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanLT\hppwrsav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Systems Restart] Rundll32.exe wnim.dll, DllRegisterServer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Uninstall_TBPS] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TBUNINST.EXE /remove
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jnltoqel] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\etjogo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tpbxzby] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jclmydpqck] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\etjogo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fpbvzfukarbu] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Artr] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\hcae.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Picture Transfer Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\pts.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
O4 - Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {D3D83E08-54D1-4E9D-8EAF-9F979D139294} (MaxisSimCityScapeTeleX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/scape/teleport/Maxis…yScapeTeleX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} (MaxisSimCity4PatcherX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
O16 - DPF: {BF985246-09BF-11D2-BE62-006097DF57F6} (SimCityX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/play/classic/SimCityX.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
Hello JDFitz, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. I am surprised the your Norton AV is not at least locating this stuff since you say you are updated. The adware removal programs will not touch it as it is trojans/viruses. You should be able to see them in the 04 area of your log as they are all wierd random named which is the way they usually appear. I believe SpywareGuard will block you from making the necessary changes so you may have to turn it off if it does. I will give three programs, these are free online scans. Run all three and set them to clean or fix anything they locate. Make sure you note anything that can't be removed by them, the name and location also. Post this information with your next log. Thanks.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
http://scan.sygatetech.com/pretrojanscan.html
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co…n_principal.htm

Once this is completed, use the following two links to stay in this thread, post a new log and don't forget your comments and feedback from the scans.
When replying to your topic, please use the
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/style_images/1/t_reply.gif
button NOT the
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/style_images/1/t_new.gif
button.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Classroom Advanced
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
Hi thanks for the quick response.
I went to all three websites. Only the third one http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co…n_principal.htm completed running here is the log from them
Incident Status Location

Virus:Trj/Clicker.AK Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\3559363.exe
Virus:Trj/Clicker.AK Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\17395343.exe
Virus:Trj/Clicker.AK Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\226235.exe
Virus:Trj/Downloader.ZN Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\loader2.ocx

I then tried to run the scans from the other sites again… here is the message for 2nd site listed
You have blocked all of our probes! We still recommend running this test both with
and without Sygate Personal Firewall enabled… so turn it off and try the test again.
I have spyblaster and spyguard turneed off I even turned off Norton with the same results.
the 1st site hangs everytime at the same spot. I have let it run for 6 hours without moving. I even went and deleted my temp folder, emptied the recycle bin checked to make sure it was gon and when I ran the scan again hung in the same place. the place and file is C:\temp\tdecntrl\TDE.dll

Norton does recognize the trojans but cannot delete them. It offers to exclude them. We got the problem because my son's friend was here and the 2 of them wanted to surf the web faster and disabled Norton and everything else.

Here is the hijack this log…

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 5:39:32 PM, on 1/6/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\DCFSSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\SCANJET\PRECISIONSCANLT\HPPWRSAV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETROPA\ONSCRE~1\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VALVE\STEAM\STEAM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\HCAE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\YVTGK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK PICTURE TRANSFER SOFTWARE\PTS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK SOFTWARE UPDATER\7288971\PROGRAM\BACKWEB-7288971.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINOA386.MOD
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINOA386.MOD
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINOA386.MOD
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dcfssvc] c:\windows\System32\Drivers\dcfssvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hppwrsav] C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanLT\hppwrsav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Systems Restart] Rundll32.exe wnim.dll, DllRegisterServer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Uninstall_TBPS] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TBUNINST.EXE /remove
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jnltoqel] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\etjogo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tpbxzby] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jclmydpqck] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\etjogo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fpbvzfukarbu] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "HP Authorized Customer"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Artr] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\hcae.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Wvamnz] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\yvtgk.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "HP Authorized Customer"
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Picture Transfer Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\pts.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
O4 - Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {D3D83E08-54D1-4E9D-8EAF-9F979D139294} (MaxisSimCityScapeTeleX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/scape/teleport/Maxis…yScapeTeleX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} (MaxisSimCity4PatcherX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
O16 - DPF: {BF985246-09BF-11D2-BE62-006097DF57F6} (SimCityX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/play/classic/SimCityX.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

please advise me what to try next… thank you so much for your help
OK JD, I hope someone learned a lesson from this. I will give it a try with HJT and see what happens.
Here is what you must do. These processes are all running. The easiest way to do this is in the safe mode. You will want to print the instructions as you will not be able to see them. Start by using the following link to enable hidden files for your operating system:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=62

Then use the information in the link below for your operating system and enter the safe mode.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…torial=61#winxo

Scan with HijacklThis and put a check in front of each of these lines:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Systems Restart] Rundll32.exe wnim.dll, DllRegisterServer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Uninstall_TBPS] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TBUNINST.EXE /remove
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jnltoqel] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\etjogo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tpbxzby] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jclmydpqck] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\etjogo.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fpbvzfukarbu] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Artr] C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\hcae.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Wvamnz] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\yvtgk.exe

with all programs an browser windows closed click on"Fix Checked"

RIGHT click on Start, then click on Explore. In this tree locate and delete these files:


C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\HCAE.EXE >>>file

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\YVTGK.EXE >>> file

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ETJOGO.EXE >>> file

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TBUNINST.EXE >>> file
(see information on the next line)
In the Windows\Temp\ folder, delete everything in it, NOT THE FOLDER just the content.

Empty all temporary internet files and cookies in IE > Tools > Internet Options > General Tab. Make sure to check box to delete all offline content for TIF.
Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer. Post a new log with your comments. Please try to do this asap, these items could start other infections according to the information I read.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Classroom Advanced
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
Thanks again fro the quick response pskelly

Ok I completed. When I restarted the computer it still wanted to change my home page. Do you want me to try to run the other things now.

here is the new HJT log… I really do appreciate all your help
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:15:30 PM, on 1/6/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\DCFSSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\SCANJET\PRECISIONSCANLT\HPPWRSAV.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETROPA\ONSCRE~1\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK PICTURE TRANSFER SOFTWARE\PTS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK SOFTWARE UPDATER\7288971\PROGRAM\BACKWEB-7288971.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERMUTE\SPYSUBTRACT\SPYSUB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VALVE\STEAM\STEAM.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dcfssvc] c:\windows\System32\Drivers\dcfssvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hppwrsav] C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanLT\hppwrsav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Picture Transfer Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\pts.exe
O4 - Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
O4 - Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {D3D83E08-54D1-4E9D-8EAF-9F979D139294} (MaxisSimCityScapeTeleX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/scape/teleport/Maxis…yScapeTeleX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} (MaxisSimCity4PatcherX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
O16 - DPF: {BF985246-09BF-11D2-BE62-006097DF57F6} (SimCityX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/play/classic/SimCityX.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
I tried the first 2 of the first 3 websites I was given..

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.asp
I still get the hang at C:\temp\tdecntrl\TDE.dll

I have booted in safe mode and deleted the c:\temp emptied recycle bin and made sure it was not there… but then when I scan there it is again… I have my computer set to show hidden files. I even used a program called window washer and took it another step forward shred and bleached the temp directory… I even removed the dircectory knowing I could always md.

http://scan.sygatetech.com/trojanscan.html
also gave me the same message spyblaster and spyguard are both disabled
"You have blocked all of our probes! We still recommend running this test both with
and without Sygate Personal Firewall enabled"… so I turned it off and try the test again.

After this did not work I restarted in dos… I changed the attributes and the temp folder still appeared empty. I removed the directory in dos. I restarted windows and tried the first scan. No “hangs” on the c:\temp\*.* but now it “hung” on my config.sys I looked at the config.sys there is nothing out of the ordinary. The 2nd site still gave me the same error message “You have blocked all of our probes! We still recommend running this test both with and without Sygate Personal Firewall enabled”… so turn it off and try the test again.. I checked windows explorer and the folder c:\temp is back…
I am sorry this has been so difficult. I really appreciate your help.
Hello JD, It does sound like something is blocking the scans? I am not familiar with the Intermute product, but I know SpywareGuard will block changes, that and not wanting the bad stuff running is the reason for doing the removal in the safe mode. Let's look at the bright side…all the bad stuff is gone from your log. We will work on this home page to see if we can get it working.

I still get the hang at C:\temp\tdecntrl\TDE.dll


We do not want to delete the C\temp folder, just the contents. I have not used Windows98 in a while, You can look for any temp folders then clean them out..LEAVE THE FOLDER. You may want to do this in Safe Mode.

Please try this, Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab > Near the bottom click on the button "Reset Web Settings", then see if you can get to the home page you have set. After you try this, there a couple of things I would like to try. First open Spyware Guard to the Options Tab and make sure all boxes are checked under the General Protections Options, update the product while you are at it.
Look in the Intermute product to make sure there are no options for locking the home page in there. I am not familiar with the product as I said.
There are some ideas in these two links that may help. Some information may be old, but it is worth a look.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;320159
http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/homepage.htm

Try these suggestions to see if any thing helps. Good job on cleaning out the bad stuff. Let me know if you have any success and also include a new log. I have some great ideas for security and safety but do not want to start them until the issues are cleaned up.
Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Classroom Advanced
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for e-mail)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI