This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Why Does It Keep Showing Up?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hope I'm directing this to the right section! I have Spybot and the CW Shredder intalled. Both of them have detected CWS Yexe on my system, and Spybot has also found a "possible hijacker". While both go through the scan and claim to have fixed or remove these problems, they keep showing up each time I run a scan. Why is this and how can I do to remove these problems? Thanks in advance for any help.
Here's how to post a Hijack This log

Download "HijackThis" here
When downloading, choose "save to disk" and NOT open!

Now create a new folder for it, C:\Hijackthis, for example.
After unzipping the file. to C:\Hijack This, you'll end up with the file itself, which is Hijackthis.exe, and that's the one you'll need to doubleclick.'

When the program launches, hit the "Scan" button
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, and save the log anywhere you like.

Now if you doubleclick the log file.Go to Edit > Select all, then to Edit > copy.
Now you've copied the entire text to the Windows Clipboard (this happens behind your back.)

Next, go back to this forum thread, and click "Add Reply".
In an empty area click your RIGHT mouse button, and choose 'Paste' from the context menu.
There's your Hijack This log.
Here's a copy of the scan:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 3:46:38 PM, on 12/06/2004
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPROXY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\INETR60\SERVICES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\GWHOTKEY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\BIN\JUNO.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:NavigationFailure
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:NavigationFailure
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:NavigationFailure
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:NavigationFailure
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:NavigationFailure
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:NavigationFailure
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.yahoo.com/
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F1 - win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\INETR60\SERVICES.EXE
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0E1230F8-EA50-42A9-983C-D22ABC2EED3B} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Multi-function Keyboard] GWHotKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xp_system] C:\WINDOWS\INETR60\SERVICES.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccProxy] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPROXY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SndSrvc] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SNDSRVC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Service Manager] C:\windows\dxsound.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [xp_system] C:\WINDOWS\INETR60\SERVICES.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .PDF: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.05p.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchmiracle.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clickspring.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mt-download.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.flingstone.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.my-internet.info
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.scoobidoo.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.searchbarcash.com
O16 - DPF: {02466323-75ED-11CF-A267-0020AF2546EA} (VivoActive Control) - http://www.vivo.com/ie/vvweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {76D31A21-9402-11D6-97B6-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - https://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/…iveSecurity.CAB
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A57B18E-2F5D-11D5-8997-00104BD12D94} (compid Class) - http://support.gateway.com/support/serialharvest/gwCID.CAB
O16 - DPF: {556DDE35-E955-11D0-A707-000000521957} - http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe
O16 - DPF: {B942A249-D1E7-4C11-98AE-FCB76B08747F} (RealArcadeRdxIE Class) - http://games-dl.real.com/gameconsole/Bundl…ArcadeRdxIE.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/ActiveSecurity.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/popc…aploader_v5.cab
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://support.gateway.com/support/profiler/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {0F9B4CA4-A30F-480A-841D-69B45C50A8F8} (SekureL0gin.SekureKontrol) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/AktiveSekurity.cab
O16 - DPF: {15589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-000000000000} - http://www.errornuker.com/products/errn200…erInstaller.exe
If you are on a network or have a full-time connection to the Internet, such as a DSL or cable modem, disconnect the computer from the network and Internet. Disable or password-protect file sharing, or set the shared files to Read Only, before reconnecting the computers to the network or to the Internet. Because this worm spreads by using shared folders on networked computers, to ensure that the worm does not re-infect the computer after it has been removed, Symantec suggests sharing with Read Only access or by using password protection.

Download FxAgentB.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop. After downloading, double-click the FxAgentB file to run it and the program will scan your entire hard drive - this may take a while. When it is done, it will generate a log file called FxAgentB.log - save that information as you will need to paste it here later. Reboot when done.

Next click HERE to download CWShredder by Merijn Bellekom and run it, hit 'fix' as opposed to 'scan only'. If you already have CWShredder, click 'Check for update' and make sure you are running version 1.59.1. Reboot when done.

Then click HERE to download Ad-Aware SE and install. Before scanning click on "check for updates now" to make sure you have the latest reference file. Click "Start", select "Perform Full System scan" and "Next" to start the scan. When the scan is finished, the screen will tell you if anything has been found, click "Next". The bad files will be listed, right click the pane and click "Select all objects" - this will put a check mark in the box at the side, click "Next" again and click "OK" at the prompt "# objects will be removed. Continue?".

Reboot when done, rescan with HijackThis and post a new log here, together with the FxAgentB log.
I just found your site from PC World, and I had doubts about downloading "HiJackThis," although I did get brave enough to try out Spybot S&D. I also experience some of the same problems, and thanks to your help, I fixed them. After reading most of the posts, I know that I am not experienced enough to even attempt "HijackThis" yet. In addition, I have followed some of the links, and discovered some enlightening information about things I did not know that I did not know! Yours is one of the most interesting and informative Websites I have visited, bar none. You are to be commended for the hard work and effort you have put forth. When I have a serious problem with my computer, I now know where to go to get some expert advice. Thanks for allowing me to visit. I will return often to read the posts.
For some reason, I can't get a copy of either the Backdoor Agent B or Hijack This. I keep getting a notice saying "not a valid archive". Anyway, I ran through this process twice. The Backdoor scan did give me a notice that Agent B was not found…but as stated above, I couldn't get a copy of the scan. I have version 2.0 of the Shredder, and it still picks up CWS Yexe each time I run it. Ad-Aware found/quarantined 80(!) some hits the first time I ran it, and just five the second time. Ran Hijack This again, but couldn't get a copy of the file. Just for the record, I'm no longer getting the "Possible Hijacker" notice from Spybot, but it still picks up CWS Yexe, even though it claims to have fixed it each time. Any suggestions as to what I should do next? Thanks!
I CAN'T post another log, okay? It worked the first time, but for some reason I keep getting this "not a valid archive " message. To top things off, when I use Yahoo, I'm now getting a wrong menu bar. This is really pissing me off.
:o It is possible that the malware deleted your control.exe. Please check for the existence of this file by going to to Merijn Files control.exe -Windows Files-and examine where the file should be for your operating system. If the file is missing then download the appropriate file and place it in the proper place according to this information.
Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.

To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?



If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be "Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI