This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Hijacked Cwscoolsearch, I Think

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I cannot find either wtcpl.cpl or wtcpl.dll on either hard drive. 1876 .dll files but no wtcpl. and 25 .cpl files with no wtcpl. The exact path to the referenced Wild Tangent is: D:\Program Files\Yahoo! Games\LFS\Wildtangent It ultimately ends at this path. D:\Program Files\Yahoo! Games\LFS\Wildtangent\Cdacache\00\00 (which contains 75 DAT files. ) I just don't know. :scratch: Thanks ever so much the system is running so much better. I have changed my active x controls and with tea timer running hopefully I can keep some of this crap off of here. I have been seriously contemplating buying some software for keeping spyware/adware/malware/ etc…….ad nauseum….. off of the system. But which one works? I don't want to spend my money on something that doesn't work. Any suggestions? I should probablly let you get on about with what you do, you have been absolutely marvelous and I appreciate you very very much. Thanks ever so much.
Defender1776,
Thanks for hanging in there, you have done a fantastic job of cleaning up.

Here is what I recommend:
D:\Program Files\Yahoo! Games\LFS\Wildtangent

Delete this entire file in safe mode, the one I have in RED

Here is my clean speech. I realize we have done some of these, but they bear repeating:

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

See TonyKlein's good advice
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051

Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…p?showtopic=405

Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.


Use a Firewall- I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=60
Understanding and Using Firewalls


Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com
regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.


Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=43
Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=48
Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

Install SpywareBlaster- SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=49
SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you ]WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.



Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.


To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI