This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Email Address Compromised

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I'm currently running Windows XP sp2 and have been getting a lot of porn email from God knows where. Almost on a daily basis I get 3 to 4 different email like this. I've been a great fan of Spybot Sd and Adware 6 personal. Both are frequently updated and have been run almost on a daily basis. Sometimes, 2 or 3 times a day. Only since I updated to sp2 have I started having all these problems. Problems like email porn, that even Norton AV 2004 won't get rid of. I'm constantly updating virus definitions but something is buried deep because nothing seems to get rid of these things. I ran HouseCall online scan and it removed a couple of trojan viruses (porndialers), from the best of my recollection, about a week ago. I downloaded Hijack This, several days ago, and ran a scan immediately. Several items I didn't recognize as my own I deleted. But there are others I don't know anything about so I left them. This is now where I'm at letting you know my pre- dicament. Hopefully someone can respond and let me know if you need me to post an HTlog. I'd post it now but I'm not sure I'm at the right place so please bear with me. One more thing, normally I'm able to delete the History in Internet Options but lately it wouldn't do it. So any response would help for now. Thanks

Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

Go ahead and "copy/paste" your log into this thread, and I'll take a peek at it. :)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:20:14 PM, on 11/5/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\VVSN\VVSN.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Recycler\WINLOGON.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVE\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\server[1].exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{0199DF25-9820-4bd5-9FEE-5A765AB4371E} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00320615-B6C2-40A6-8F99-F1C52D674FAD} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: BAHelper Class - {A3FDD654-A057-4971-9844-4ED8E67DBBB8} - C:\Program Files\SideFind\sfbho.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchUpgrader] C:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader\SearchUpgrader.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sais] c:\program files\180solutions\sais.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VVSN] C:\Program Files\VVSN\VVSN.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - Startup: server[1].exe
O9 - Extra button: SideFind - {10E42047-DEB9-4535-A118-B3F6EC39B807} - C:\Program Files\SideFind\sidefind.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {05317530-B882-449D-9421-18D94FA3ED34} (OSInfo Control) - http://www.sis.com/support/ocis/OSInfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {16095503-786F-4097-AED6-5D567A26D760} (SiS_OCX Control) - http://www.sis.com/support/ocis/SiSAutodetectNT.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1093573636846
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab

f I did this correctly but here goes:
Please make a PERMANANT folder for Hijack This!

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
MOVE HijackThis into this folder.

If required a tutorial is here = Hijackthis Folder Tutorial

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This!
Click "Scan".
Then "check" the box to the left of these item(s):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{0199DF25-9820-4bd5-9FEE-5A765AB4371E} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00320615-B6C2-40A6-8F99-F1C52D674FAD} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: BAHelper Class - {A3FDD654-A057-4971-9844-4ED8E67DBBB8} - C:\Program Files\SideFind\sfbho.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {2CDE1A7D-A478-4291-BF31-E1B4C16F92EB} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchUpgrader] C:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader\SearchUpgrader.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sais] c:\program files\180solutions\sais.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VVSN] C:\Program Files\VVSN\VVSN.exe

O4 - Startup: server[1].exe

O9 - Extra button: SideFind - {10E42047-DEB9-4535-A118-B3F6EC39B807} - C:\Program Files\SideFind\sidefind.dll (file missing)

Then click "Fix checked".

Reboot in "safe" mode.

Find and delete:

c:\documents and settings\steve\start menu\programs\startup\server[1].exe <— file

c:\program files\180solutions <— FOLDER

c:\program files\common files\searchupgrader <— FOLDER

c:\program files\vvsn <— FOLDER

c:\recycler\winlogon.exe <— file

Some malware files may be "hidden".
Be sure to show hidden files when looking for these file(s) and/or folder(s).

Reboot in normal mode and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread. :)
Hi, I'm back with the new HJT log; btw, great Scripture…I also placed HJT in its
own folder. I did use the Desktop shortcut though. Hope it won't matter.
Thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:29:08 AM, on 11/8/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVE\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {05317530-B882-449D-9421-18D94FA3ED34} (OSInfo Control) - http://www.sis.com/support/ocis/OSInfo.cab
O16 - DPF: {16095503-786F-4097-AED6-5D567A26D760} (SiS_OCX Control) - http://www.sis.com/support/ocis/SiSAutodetectNT.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1093573636846
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
Log looks good. :thumbup:

There's not much you can do about porn SPAM except just delete it.

GOD bless!!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.

This topic is now closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link

(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI