This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Msn And Adaware Not Working Right

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was going online tonight and MSN wouldn't open. Google loads fine and I can find my favorites/bookmarks alright. I thought the website must be down for now, I'll try again later.
The next thing I tried was Adaware. As always I do a system update first. The update doesn't go beyond 5% and seems to stop. Next I tried to scan with the existing reference file and I get a error code saying something like It can't find the reference file. Adaware isn't working, so I ran PcCillin internet security and found no viruses.
I thought it would be a good idea to run Hijack this and submit the results. Please let me know if I have something causing these issues.

Thank You,

Jeff (newtech)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 5:58:39 PM, on 11/4/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\UMonit2k.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X73.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X73.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Exif Launcher\QuickDCF.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gene USB Monitor] C:\WINDOWS\System32\UMonit2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X73 Button Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X73.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X73 Button Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X73.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TM Outbreak Agent] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe" /run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Exif Launcher\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…8197.9276273148
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab27513.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it
reopened, please send us an email (Click here to email) with a link to your thread.


Donations in support of this Web Site are always appreciated

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid,
working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used.
If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI