This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Jdbgmgr.exe Virus Hoax

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I just got an email from someone I know the other day telling me if I had jdbgmgr.exe on my computer to find it and delete it that it was a virus. This rang a bell from a while back so I investigated and surely enough it was a virus hoax that was going around. The file is actually related to the java debugger. Do not delete it.

Bottom line is it's your computer, if someone tells you to delete a file you have the world at your fingertips (internet) research before you do it and make sure its a legitimate concern.

Keep your eyes open everyone for this and other hoaxes that may be resurfacing as always :D

Here's some links on the subject:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322993&

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/hoaxes/jdbgmgr.shtml

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data….file.hoax.html

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/jdbgmgr.html

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99436.htm

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBMalCode.shtml#jdbgmgr
Yes, a very well known hoax to those of us not new to the internet, or computers. Remember, though that every day newbies are joining the ranks completely unaware…….

We were those newbies, once. While most of us wouldn't dream of using a program or following instructions in an email without checking it out, that 76 year old grandma down the street who just got her son's old computer so she can learn email…..well, what can I say? I know some of those folks. The more we learn, the more we are able to teach others….not what we know, but we have gained the ability to teach them how to learn for themselves.

Gracey :)
I may be a little odd….but I go and get rid of that stupid file on purpose. Even MS admits that it is not needed by most users…(so why is it loaded by default anyway?)

The Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) is only used by Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 developers.  If you follow the e-mail message instructions and delete this file, you do not have to recover it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95.


I see your point. I don't fall into that category either. I think it's still good practice to research for yourself. Maybe MSs Fluff Bunny and Bloat Bandit snuck that one in there to load by default. :D